MD & DO DDS drop out interested in MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrRodgersRofl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was dismissed from a DDS program for poor grades about two years ago and have been working in a non-health related field ever since

I've been interested in going to medical school ever since I failed out. The reason I failed out was essentially lack of work ethic and management skills to handle grad school. Pretty much I would be studying last minute for a lot of things and ended up barely squeaking by. Probably would not have been able to handle patient care AT ALL at the rate I was going.

I was advised to do a M.S. in Biomedical Science to show that I can handle a graduate level courseload and then re-apply to dental schools. I was wondering if the pathway for med was the same way?

(Maybe M.S Program + MCAT -> MD/DO School?)

My undergrad stats:
3.5cGPA
3.3sGPA
99% DAT

Grad school:
2.5 GPA
Failed out D1 year
Denied re-admission

A lot of what held me back in grad school was maturity, stubborness, and resistance to learning from mistakes. When I'd barely get by on a hard exam, I'd chalk it up to 'oh i pulled it off no need to worry' so then I'd continue the patterns that led me to having to 'pull it off'.

I don't really know where to begin on this journey, that's been what's holding me back so far

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DOA at my school unless you take several years to rehabilitate your GPA, your motivation, and convince us that you won't bail on Medicine
This is the response I've gotten from people.

@Goro where should I start? I'm at rock bottom right now

I have zero obligations time-wise (can leave my position at any time), and can devote a lot of my time right now.

I was told I should start volunteering first then go for a med/dent related position (like assisting or scribing?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would immediately start any clinical volunteering and look for jobs as a patient care assistant or as a scribe. Take CC courses at night to boost your GPA and prep for MCAT. Take and do well on the MCAT and apply broadly including DO schools.

Yes, start volunteering and shadowing to see if this is even for you. Then, start with the pre reqs you'll need for MCAT
What about the MS program? is that a special requirement for me because I couldn't handle graduate school level workload?

What about the MS program? is that a special requirement for me because I couldn't handle graduate school level workload?
I think that it's important that you find out if you like being around sick and injured people, and see what a doctor's day is like, before diving into academics again.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see anywhere on your post saying you've learned from your past stubbornness and immaturity. How are you going to prove you now have the work-ethic and drive, and commitment, to succeed in medicine?

Start with clinical employment/volunteering, shadowing, and re-train yourself with new habits taking the required prereqs for med school!

Reactions: 2 users