DDS to MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
people transfer from MD to DDS?? Good God why?

I'd imagine that it's a rarity to find someone who goes from being an M.D. to entering dental school.

Of course, I'm just two years in practice as a general dentist and I make over $160k working just a hair over 32 hours a week--working for another doctor, mind you. My income would be much more by starting my own practice. I take no call, deal with very few emergencies, and my assistants are f-ing hot!

I'd say that any one of those reasons alone would warrant a closer look at dentistry as a profession.

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious to see if there are any programs that allow DDS students to transfer to MD schools. Columbia Dental Medicine allows MD students to transfer to their DDS program. Do any medical schools do this? I did some searching and found that Tulane SOM will accept transfer students from Dental Schools. Please don't respond with "you should have researched this before you went to dental school." I am someone who is interested in both fields and am wondering if you can switch without having to deal with AADSAS or AMCAS. Also, I have the undergraduate record to have gained admissions to either professional school (GPA > 3.9 with a biology major, significant research experience, etc).

Look at it this way--transferring from medical school to medical school isn't a done deal. I'd imagine that transferring from dental school to medical school would be a near impossibility for three reasons: 1. It looks like you're indecisive and 2. Many MD's look down on DDS's--Why? I don't know, but they do. You have to expect that there would be at least one or two committee members who'd be thinking "over my dead body will I let a dental student do the sideways waltz into our medical program". Finally, 3. although there are some dental schools where basic medical science courses common to medical and dental curriculums are taken with medical students, the programs are nonetheless different. While I'd say that there are no medical sciences covered my medical school that were not covered in dental school, the depth of study certainly varied from topic to topic. For example, in dental school, our didactic exposure to cardiology consisted of four one-hour lectures (although in the clinical years, we learned more). A medical student will get a hell of a lot more than that. You get the picture.

Basically, as a dental student in your first two years you'll learn a hell of lot of medicine (while medical students won't learn a lick of dentistry), but you're training is directed towards dentistry and thus you are not a cog that can just slip right into a medical school class.

Also, I have the undergraduate record to have gained admissions to either professional school (GPA > 3.9 with a biology major, significant research experience, etc).

I don't mean this as a flame at all, but a 3.9+ GPA and research experience is hardly enough to gain admission to Columbia P&S or HMS programs. These schools rejected or waitlisted plenty of 3.95's with 38+ MCATs this admission season -- go look in the threads in pre-Allo.

However, I must agree with what others said, which is why are you asking this here? Go ask the schools, we don't have a clue, as I think is obvious in this thread :D