Other OT-Related Information De-stress about your MOT program experience here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOTRL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I thought some of us could benefit from an anonymous thread in which we share our triumphs, issues, and worries in our MOT program. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't submitted yet and I'm freaking out over my personal statement. Lol! Thanks for this thread.

4 midterms in the last 7 days. Last one is tomorrow. Stress of MOT programs at it's finest. haha. Otherwise, LOVE the program, couldn't have picked a better profession, and enjoy fieldwork the most out of anything. Did you start fieldwork yet?!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow 4 midterms in 7 days?! Are you ready to be in a coma yet?? good luck tomorrow-You are so lucky to have this stress! So many people did not get into either their MOT of their choice or at all.

I started level 1 fieldwork at a rehab center and I love it so far! The rehab team has a great rapport and I am enjoying seeing the OTs work and physical modalities. That is probably my favorite thing out of anything also :)

I haven't submitted yet and I'm freaking out over my personal statement. Lol! Thanks for this thread.

Oh, I remember sitting in front of my computers for god knows how many hours trying to churn a personal statement out. One of the hardest things for me was to articulate understanding of the profession. While I knew it in my gut and heart, it was just hard to describe in a succinct way that felt comfortable.

Once I adopted an "there is only so much I can do and control with what I have" attitude, it relieved some of the freaking out.

Thanks! And sorry, I didn't read the title correctly. I hope that I'll be able to join in on this conversation soon enough!

Thanks! And sorry, I didn't read the title correctly. I hope that I'll be able to join in on this conversation soon enough!

No worries :) I tried to change this title to include applicants too, but I do not see an edit function to this.

What schools are you applying to?

Right now, it is 10:30 pm and I have more reading to do and i am nervous about a role play discussion tomorrow...my worries can make me dread reading. Anyone else have this experience and tips?

I'm applying to San Jose state, Dominican university, Touro NV and Midwestern AZ. What program are you in now. Since it's 10:30pm I'm assuming your also in the West
Coast.

I'm attending one of the public MOT programs in CA.

When are you turning in your application or SJSU and Dominican U?

All I will say is that I wish there were more hours in a day! (And that I had a maid, who could cook, clean, run errands, etc for me - and a husband to pay rent or mortgage so I don't have to work would be nice!) Other than that, it's a great profession, and I'm really enjoying my program. I am in my second year and began my first fieldwork experience a few weeks ago. :)

All I will say is that I wish there were more hours in a day! (And that I had a maid, who could cook, clean, run errands, etc for me - and a husband to pay rent or mortgage so I don't have to work would be nice!) Other than that, it's a great profession, and I'm really enjoying my program. I am in my second year and began my first fieldwork experience a few weeks ago. :)

Thank you c2902 for sharing the part about husband to pay rent or mortgage so you don't have to work. I often feel this when I am overwhelmed and it is nice to know I am not the only one who feels that way.

But when I am not stressed, I would not have it any other way to be honest (even if I did have a husband to pay rent, etc) My work is so meaningful to me AND gives me constant opportunities to review for school and practice all those traits/skills that an OT needs.

What do you do for work c2902?

For SJSU it's probably going to be around November. Didn't get the scores I wanted on either the MAT or GRE. So I would have to retake them. Since Dominican isn't rolling admissions it'll probably be around the time I submit for SJSU. I'm actually finishing my undergrad at SJSU and want to stay local. So crossing my fingers.

Thank you c2902 for sharing the part about husband to pay rent or mortgage so you don't have to work. I often feel this when I am overwhelmed and it is nice to know I am not the only one who feels that way.

But when I am not stressed, I would not have it any other way to be honest (even if I did have a husband to pay rent, etc) My work is so meaningful to me AND gives me constant opportunities to review for school and practice all those traits/skills that an OT needs.

What do you do for work c2902?
I nanny part-time and teach a program called Music Together, which is a music/movement class for kids age 0-5 and their adult caregivers. I actually get to implement a lot of OT-related stuff in both jobs (obviously, I'm not doing therapy with anyone, but for example, the older of the two kids I nanny for is not going to preschool before kindergarten, so we are working on the fine-motor based school skills that he's otherwise not getting).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 3 assignments, 1 presentation, and 1 device that we're supposed to make due next week. There is another assignment due in the following week, so that means I need to work with a "client" of my choosing next week too. And of course fieldwork and research is ongoing as if I had too much time to spare.

I am doing an activity analysis and I been doing it real carefully, looking at plenty of examples and what terms mean. Hopefully I will do it right this time around.

In the next four weeks, I am going to have something due each week including a midterm. The class I have a midterm for, I really do not like. It is dry and I honestly do not like how it is taught. The midterm is 25% of our grade. I am very worried and picture myself failing out of the MOT program!

I also have another assignment due that is hard for me to do. It is a self reflection assignment in which we assess ourselves by looking at our lives. The emotionality of doing this is hard to get through at times...

to future OTRL Maybe reflect on your life through person, environment, occupation and performance (PEOP model)- that structure may give you room to reflect at a bit of a distance and therefore more control

Reactions: 1 users
I started OT school in the fall and my schedule is always busy. More hours in the day would be great lol. It's hard but it is definitely worth it :)

I have 3 assignments, 1 presentation, and 1 device that we're supposed to make due next week. There is another assignment due in the following week, so that means I need to work with a "client" of my choosing next week too. And of course fieldwork and research is ongoing as if I had too much time to spare.

I take a breath at times when it is overwhelming and remember many other applicants would wish for this stress!

The next few weeks just got MUCH less stressful!! Thank goodness!

I along with my entire class hate our program and all of the crap we deal with on a daily basis. I dont know what its like to be in other programs, but the insanity at mine is just too much. I wish I could tell everyone thinking of applying to not do it and save their sanity for the next 2.5 years.

would love to know why
I along with my entire class hate our program and all of the crap we deal with on a daily basis. I dont know what its like to be in other programs, but the insanity at mine is just too much. I wish I could tell everyone thinking of applying to not do it and save their sanity for the next 2.5 years.

@HUOT3 is it possible for you to dm me? I have so many questions regarding the school and would love input from a current student.

Which program do you attend?

Just to uplift the mood here, I'm loving my program. Any lurkers should take heed from these posts that just getting into a school to get your degree isn't a smart move. Make sure that you fit with your school choices, and make sure that the faculty and staff have your best interests in mind. Again, don't just go to a school because you can (especially non-accredited)...it could be a waste of time and money, and could turn you off from the whole profession.

Reactions: 2 users