Deadline for taking the Step 1 for this ERAS cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrShock

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current Canadian PGY1 who will be applying to US residency this cycle and will be planning to take the Step 2 and then the Step 1 this summer.

Unfortunately, seems that there are no possible test dates available for a whole month from mid August all the way up until Sept 21 - which is the earliest possible test date within that window (at least from a Canada location). There are some US locations still scheduling tests within that window - but they would be a bit of a drive for me.

I was just wondering if there is any advised deadline by which I should write my USMLE Step 1 - in order to ensures my schools are available in time to prevent me from being disqualified from any of the residency programs I apply to. I have heard different things from late August to Mid September, but was hoping to see if there is a general consensus.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You usually get your results in 2 weeks after you take the exam on that Wednesday. So if you take step 1 on September 11th-15th, you should get your results back on the 27th, which if memory serves is when our applications get transmitted to residencies. I’d try and take it the week before then at the latest, just to be safe.

You usually get your results in 2 weeks after you take the exam on that Wednesday. So if you take step 1 on September 11th-15th, you should get your results back on the 27th, which if memory serves is when our applications get transmitted to residencies. I’d try and take it the week before then at the latest, just to be safe.

Got it - thanks for the reply!

Based on this general trend of advice, it sounds like even though schools have many interview offer release dates (including rolling ones) - it might still have a negative affect on my chances if my Step 1 scores aren't immediately available upon applications being open for review?

Got it - thanks for the reply!

Based on this general trend of advice, it sounds like even though schools have many interview offer release dates (including rolling ones) - it might still have a negative affect on my chances if my Step 1 scores aren't immediately available upon applications being open for review?
Yeah, only speaking from what I’ve observed looking at programs I plan to apply to, most list a requirement for a step 1 score report at time of application submission. I wouldn’t want to risk them getting my application and moving it to the bottom of the pile because it’s incomplete.

Reactions: 1 user