Deaf retail pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sine Cura

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Works at a HyVee in Des Moines:

'We're just like you': Deaf doctor breaks barriers in central Iowa

Some things of interest in the video are that HyVee has Microsoft Word installed on computers (!!!) and how exactly does this pharmacist counsel?

Iowa is a mandatory counseling state (https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/iac/rule/02-24-2010.657.6.14.pdf) but there is an exception if oral counseling is not "practicable" (emphasis mine):

6.14(4) Oral counseling not practicable. If in the pharmacist's professional judgment oral counseling is not practicable, the pharmacist may select and use alternative forms of patient information which shall include information for the patient or patient's caregiver to contact the pharmacist for further consultation. The manner in which the patient or caregiver contacts the pharmacist shall not cause the patient to incur any expense. "Not practicable" refers to patient variables including, but not limited to, the absence of the patient or patient's caregiver, the patient's or caregiver's hearing impairment, or a language barrier. "Not practicable" does not include pharmacy variables such as inadequate staffing, technology failure, or high prescription volume. Alternative forms of patient information may include written information leaflets, pictogram labels, video programs, or information generated by electronic data processing equipment. When used in place of oral counseling, alternative forms of patient information shall advise the patient or caregiver that the pharmacist may be contacted for consultation in person at the pharmacy by toll-free telephone or collect telephone call. A combination of oral counseling and alternative forms of counseling is encouraged.

That's the thing... "professional judgment" does not encompass a limitation of physiology. inb4 the Iowa BOP fines this pharmacy

Some people are thinking, "yuuuuus I never have to answer the phone"

Also if you work in retail think of all the times you speak to your team without even making eye contact with anyone in particular.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that's not safe at all, I have to listen to everything the dime store techs we hire tell patients to make sure they aren't counseling or just giving incorrect information in general.

Reactions: 2 users
Very interesting. I have no doubt she can do her job. There can be a vast difference in ability between people with deafness (just the same as between people in general.)

One thing I was surprised to learn a couple of years ago was, the vast majority of deaf people can not read, or read with very minimal literacy skills. There is an incredible learning issue when trying to read, if one has no sound, making it impossible for many deaf people to learn how to read. This is clearly not the case with her, she can read, and also can talk (while the video had a translator so I'm not sure how well she actually "sounds", her lips were clearly moving with the translation) Even though she lost her sound at age 2, having had experienced sound at an early age undoubtedly has helped her.

I'm sorry but that's not safe at all, I have to listen to everything the dime store techs we hire tell patients to make sure they aren't counseling or just giving incorrect information in general.

Assuming she can read lips (as is quite probable), then that is not really a concern.

The only real issue I see is with taking voice mail, thankfully e-rx is becoming the norm, and I assume she is working in a state where techs are allowed to take voice mail.