Dean get fired for lack of diversity matriculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themanthemyththelegend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Question....

A school I was looking at on MSAR had a class of 175, only matriculated 1 Hispanic student. I know that schools/Deans get in trouble for overaccpeting classes, but do they get in trouble for this lack of matriculation. They did matriculate 12 AA's, but of a class of between 175-200 this seems absurdly low.

For note, there are a couple other state schools with smaller class sizes that averaged 15 hispanic matriculants and about 16 AA's... I understand this school could have accepted 40 hispanic students and only 1 chose to go there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Affirmative action doesn't work how you think it does, it only guarantees a diverse candidate pool - and let me tell you, your dean loves diversity. Most of them do, it's in their best interest. It's a lot more likely that, if there were many Hispanic students, most of them had tough competition. If you have any intention of making these accusations public, you should think very hard about them and do your homework first, provided there's nothing else you ought to be doing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick Question....

One of my state schools, which has a class of about 175, only matriculated 1 Hispanic student. 1!! Isn't that grounds to be fired in today's world? They did matriculate 12 AA's, but of a class of between 175-200 this seems absurdly low.

For note, there are a couple other state schools with smaller class sizes that averaged 15 hispanic matriculants and about 16 AA's...

You do know that the med school application process is a two way street ... just like college. The school has the choice to accept the applicant and the applicant has a choice to reject that acceptance. Just because only 1 hispanic student matriculated doesn't mean that the school only accepted 1 hispanic student. Furthermore, medical schools should accept students who are the most qualified and who they feel matches their mission statements. There should be no lowering of standards just to make quota or seem PC. These are people who will have to make life or death decisions on your loved ones. They should be in that position because they are well trained and well qualified not because they happen to satisfy a so called quota the public wants.

Also, your statement "Isn't that grounds to be fired in today's world" is just the epitome of the current climate of attacking and punishing anyone that even remotely seems to show any perceived (existent and non-existent) bias. So easily do you call for someone's livelihood to be taken away from them just because YOU feel they're doing a poor job conforming to YOUR societal views without even knowing or having proof that that person is actually committing the transgressions so inflaming your heart. Just absurdity.

Reactions: 7 users
When can we expect a good pouting session?

Reactions: 2 users
Let me rephrase this. These were not "accusations" or anything like that. I am just genuinely curious. I understand they could have accepted 30 and only 1 chose the school, they can only control so much. My question was do schools get slighted for this? I have read about Deans getting fired for overaccepting classes and things of that nature.

This was by no means calling for someone to be fired I am just curious as to how this works.

You do know that the med school application process is a two way street ... just like college. The school has the choice to accept the applicant and the applicant has a choice to reject that acceptance. Just because only 1 hispanic student matriculated doesn't mean that the school only accepted 1 hispanic student. Furthermore, medical schools should accept students who are the most qualified and who they feel matches their mission statements. There should be no lowering of standards just to make quota or seem PC. These are people who will have to make life or death decisions on your loved ones. They should be in that position because they are well trained and well qualified not because they happen to satisfy a so called quota the public wants.

Also, your statement "Isn't that grounds to be fired in today's world" is just the epitome of the current climate of attacking and punishing anyone that even remotely seems to show any perceived (existent and non-existent) bias. So easily do you call for someone's livelihood to be taken away from them just because YOU feel they're doing a poor job conforming to YOUR societal views without even knowing or having proof that that person is actually committing the transgressions so inflaming your heart. Just absurdity.

"Isn't that grounds to be fired in today's world" was a comment about Today's climate. I never once said I agree with it, because I do not at all. I think it is absolutely ridiculous, but unfortunately it is the world we live in. Do not turn this onto MY societal VIEWs and "transgressions from my heart" because I never once said what you are accusing me of.

My comments stemmed from things such as Deans getting in trouble for over-accepting classes and what not. I know that schools strive to make up a diverse class (AND YES I KNOW THAT THERE IS MORE TO DIVERSITY THAN ETHNICITY). I was just genuinely curious if this is something that will get a school in trouble. If you are going to attack my character please do not comment

Let me rephrase this. These were not "accusations" or anything like that. I am just genuinely curious. I understand they could have accepted 30 and only 1 chose the school, they can only control so much. My question was do schools get slighted for this? I have read about Deans getting fired for overaccepting classes and things of that nature.

This was by no means calling for someone to be fired I am just curious as to how this works.
You should make sure to warm up and stretch before backtracking so hard....you could roll an ankle or something

Reactions: 9 users
You should make sure to warm up and stretch before backtracking so hard....you could roll an ankle or something

Haha no I was not trying to backtrack, sorry if the original post/title was calling for someone to get fired, it was not at all. Just typed it early in the morning

Quick Question....

One of my state schools, which has a class of about 175, only matriculated 1 Hispanic student. 1!! Isn't that grounds to be fired in today's world? They did matriculate 12 AA's, but of a class of between 175-200 this seems absurdly low.
So you say "I never once said I agree with it, because I do not at all. I think it is absolutely ridiculous, but unfortunately it is the world we live in. Do not turn this onto MY societal VIEWs and "transgressions from my heart" because I never once said what you are accusing me of."
Can you tell me what you meant in the bolded region then?

So you say "I never once said I agree with it, because I do not at all. I think it is absolutely ridiculous, but unfortunately it is the world we live in. Do not turn this onto MY societal VIEWs and "transgressions from my heart" because I never once said what you are accusing me of."
Can you tell me what you meant in the bolded region then?

Sure. In today's world in medical school/college admissions are striving for diversity and inclusion, and everybody knows there is a big push to get more URM into medicine. I understand there are other ways besides ethnicity to be diverse. But when there are other schools in the state that were matriculating over 15 students, I found that number extremely low and was just curious as to how this was viewed.

And it was more stemming from today's culture which I DID NOT SAY WERE MY VIEWS but it is unfortunately the world we live in

Sure. In today's world in medical school/college admissions are striving for diversity and inclusion, and everybody knows there is a big push to get more URM into medicine. I understand there are other ways besides ethnicity to be diverse. But when there are other schools in the state that were matriculating over 15 students, I found that number extremely low and was just curious as to how this was viewed.

And it was more stemming from today's culture which I DID NOT SAY WERE MY VIEWS but it is unfortunately the world we live in
No logical people give a crap...unless you've got some evidence that hispanics are being discriminated against it doesn't matter how many end up in a program

Reactions: 2 users

If they're not your views, please let someone that actually believes in them to post about it.

Okay well this post was not supposed to offend anyone or put accusations on a program/person. If a moderator could please close this thread I would appreciate it because I had no intentions of making this disrespectful and do not want it to turn that way. @Winged Scapula

You also have to remember that the problem with representation is two-fold: There aren't enough URMs enrolled in med school and there aren't enough URMs who are qualified for med school (the limited amount of qualified applicants is what makes URMs URM).

The URMs who are accepted to med school now have been deemed likely to do fine and graduate (and looking at med school completion rates, schools are pretty good at determining that). A Dean could easily increase diversity by accepting students who aren't qualified....but they would be punished for the low graduation rate

URMs also often receive recruitment scholarships and in not in the Dean's power to magically have more money to recruit students

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
...URMs also often receive recruitment scholarships and in not in the Dean's power to magically have more money to recruit students

Very true. Plus not every state and town treat URMs the same. For example, some of the schools I got into were awesome on paper, but the location (e.g. city, etc) wasn't somewhere I could see myself living for the next decade (dual degree). It wasn't the dean's fault since those were factors beyond their control.

Plus there's no magic quota for URMs. Some schools will give significant boost/preference to URM candidates, others will give only slight preference.

I would try to find the last couple of years worth of data to see if there's a trend or just an anomoly