Death by nitrogen hypoxia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The supreme Court of California overturned all deaths sentences on a different case, not just hers. When Reagan was the president. Her second trial was actually a mistrial, and her third was 7 years to life with parole. She was never sentenced to life without parole.

And we can agree the second example shouldn't be released. But he did serve 40 years and is about to die of cancer.

Nonetheless, none of this changes your stance that you only favor the death penalty because you don't like liberals. Its a weird position to take. People were discussing if physicians should take part. No one was mentioning liberal or conservative policies. For some reason you brought it up that the only reason you supported the death penalty was because liberals keep changing things. That's all I was pointing out. You felt the need to shoehorn in a stance about why you don't like liberals when it wasn't really relevant.

About to die of cancer. It's a vague timeline. I'm sure the father of the 19 year old who was raped/tortured and murdered will take solace that he already served 39 years.

My point was and has always been, I am for the death penalty for particular crimes because it is final and can't be reversed/reduced. Decreasing criminal penalties is specifically a progressive/liberal idea.

I'm not pro death penalty because progressive are against it and never even insinuated that. Instead of getting worked up when you see the word liberal/progressive take a moment to carefully read.

You went down this bizarre tangent for whatever reason. I've already shown you clear examples of penalties getting reduced. You can feel free to argue or disagree with the first but there is no excuse for the second. These are just a few of the well publicized ones.

If you're going to purposely play dumb and misinterpret, feel free to waste your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Whenever they have difficulty getting IV access for these executions, I always wonder about how much they try to get access. Did they use a vein finder? Ultrasound? Attempt a central line? How about IO access? Even in bad traumas, I may have struggled to get access but I always got something eventually. It really makes me wonder who is in charge of getting the IV.

Imagine a newbie nurse or medical student doing it. It obviously isn't someone with experience.

The parole board members are appointed by the governor.

Brown and Newsom don't get a pass. Besides it's a ploy for them to look tougher on crime knowing full well their appointees will do their dirty work.

I'm not getting why you're purposely being dense?

It is definitely a progressive/liberal agenda to go against the death penalty and against long prison sentences.

Activist DAs are proudly running on these platforms like Gascon, Boudin, Price, Krasner, etc.

Why are you putting your head in the same sand?

The death penalty cost is artificially inflated because of the numerous appeals baked into the process.

But my entire point is, life without the possibility of parole is no longer a guarantee. We are seeing situations where life without parole gets changed based on the whims of the current political flavor.

You know what would save a lot of money? If we catch a murderer or rapist and ask them to say sorry very nicely and promise not to be bad, we can let them go and wouldn't Even have to pay for any prison time!
Do you have some actual evidence that those serving life with parole are being released from prison systemically or are you making a lot of noise with a few cherry picked examples? The Republican governor of my state's parole board let a few folks out that shouldn't had been released and some of them committed miurders again. Our disaster of a last Republic president may have done a few things right by transforming the federal prison criminal system to allow shorter sentences on some thimgs.

Liberals may support shorter sentences for crimes but show me proof they want the ones dangerous to our society released. A few cases here and there do not a political agenda make.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have some actual evidence that those serving life with parole are being released from prison systemically or are you making a lot of noise with a few cherry picked examples? The Republican governor of my state's parole board let a few folks out that shouldn't had been released and some of them committed miurders again. Our disaster of a last Republic president may have done a few things right by transforming the federal prison criminal system to allow shorter sentences on some thimgs.

Liberals may support shorter sentences for crimes but show me proof they want the ones dangerous to our society released. A few cases here and there do not a political agenda make.

Liberal DAs in Oakland and Los Angeles aren't charging enhancements which could increase prison sentences for criminals. I can't speak for the rest of the country as I focus most of my news on local politics.

Prominent case:
Andrew Cachu is a gang banger who committed murder/robbery at the age of 17. Was charged and found guilty as an adult and sentenced to at least 50 years.

It later got argued that he should be tried as a juvenile and the DA never presented any additional evidence/argument at the transfer hearing otherwise forcing the judge to allow his release after 6 years. The judge even commented on this fact during his decision.

Regardless, guys like Gascon, Boudin, Price, etc have come out and openly stated they disagree with harsh penalties for a variety of crimes.

Gascon initially stated he was never going to pursue life in prison for any crime. He had to reverse course because the backlash became too heavy.

And to answer your question on whether liberals are softer on crime:

Senate Bill 94 was proposed by a Democrat (luckily the bill is dead) which proposed resentencing of criminals with life sentences.

The public outcry was fairly prominent but this won't be the last time something like this comes up.

Liberal DAs in Oakland and Los Angeles aren't charging enhancements which could increase prison sentences for criminals. I can't speak for the rest of the country as I focus most of my news on local politics.

Prominent case:
Andrew Cachu is a gang banger who committed murder/robbery at the age of 17. Was charged and found guilty as an adult and sentenced to at least 50 years.

It later got argued that he should be tried as a juvenile and the DA never presented any additional evidence/argument at the transfer hearing otherwise forcing the judge to allow his release after 6 years. The judge even commented on this fact during his decision.

Regardless, guys like Gascon, Boudin, Price, etc have come out and openly stated they disagree with harsh penalties for a variety of crimes.

Gascon initially stated he was never going to pursue life in prison for any crime. He had to reverse course because the backlash became too heavy.

And to answer your question on whether liberals are softer on crime:

Senate Bill 94 was proposed by a Democrat (luckily the bill is dead) which proposed resentencing of criminals with life sentences.

The public outcry was fairly prominent but this won't be the last time something like this comes up.
Apples to oranges.

Your claim was that a life sentence without parole was not preferable to execution due to the possibility of the sentence being overturned and released early at the hands of liberals. You've presented no evidence this is happening systemically.

1. This guy in your example didn't have a life sentence, so your example is moot
2. He was a minor when committing the crime, so he never would have received the death penalty. Your example is again moot.
3. We could debate what consequences for minors committing violent crimes should be, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion. Every state has its own laws regarding the punishment of violent crimes committed by minors. I'm not an expert on the law nor adolescent psychology so I don't know what the appropriate punishment should be. Whatever the state determines it should be, it needs to be applied uniformly.
4. It's California. Might as well be it's own country. 🤣 Not exactly a microsm of America at large.

I'm going to expound on #3 a bit. Laws will never be applied uniformly because the justice system is imperfect and because DAs are politicians with an agenda. It's not a stretch to see that an imperfect system where politicians with an agenda with pressure to perform so they can get reelected might use poor judgement and charge an innocent person with a crime. It's not a stretch to think an imperfect judge and jury might convict an innocent person of murder and sentence them to death. It's public knowledge that innocent people have been executed by the state. As long as the justice system is imperfect (because humans are flawed) a small percentage if innocent people will be wrongly convicted executed. How can you justify the existence of the death penalty if even one innocent person's life is taken? That's why the state shouldn't sanction executions
Sometimes we get it wrong.

And lastly, because our system is imperfect, some who received life without parole might have that reversed. But executions can also be reversed, stopped, overturned etc by "liberals." So sentencing a murderer to death is no garuntee. It seems like people are on death row for 10 to 20 years. At 20 years, that's almost a life sentence. Just let them be.