Death in the family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAPsyGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if there's a death of a close family member during internship, do most sites understand if the intern needs to take a week off for the funeral, travel, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experiences, yes; I've never heard of it being a problem. While it wasn't internship, I had close family members pass at the end of grad school and again while on postdoc, and both times, my supervisors almost demanded (in a good way) that I take a day or three off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, reaching out to the training director and supervisors is essential. If the intern is an employee of an organization that offers funeral/bereavement leave then he or she will most likely have to follow the same policies as other employees. To take off a full week it may be necessary to use a combination of funeral leave and vacation time.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, I had that happen and my training director and supervisors were super understanding about it. My clients that I had to cancel were also quite understanding.

Thank you all. Much appreciated.