Death of the GMO/Flight Surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LtDanUSAF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd, soon to be 4th year, AF HPSP student who is new to this forum - so forgive me if this has been discussed before.
I heard a rumor that the AF is trying to get away from GMO/Flight surgeons and placing more emphasis on training Aerospace Medicine docs to fill this need. I never got a chance to go to introduction to SAM course (now required between the 1st and 2ng years) - maybe this was discussed there.

Ideally I would love to do flight surgery for a couple years and then finish up an ENT residency...is that even possible anymore?

Also, does anyone know anything about ENT at Wilford Hall? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

LtDanUSAF said:
I'm a 3rd, soon to be 4th year, AF HPSP student who is new to this forum - so forgive me if this has been discussed before.
I heard a rumor that the AF is trying to get away from GMO/Flight surgeons and placing more emphasis on training Aerospace Medicine docs to fill this need. I never got a chance to go to introduction to SAM course (now required between the 1st and 2ng years) - maybe this was discussed there.

Ideally I would love to do flight surgery for a couple years and then finish up an ENT residency...is that even possible anymore?

Also, does anyone know anything about ENT at Wilford Hall? :confused:

I don't know anything about ENT, but if you don't match during your med student year or intern year, the USAF will be more than happy to take you as a GMO FS... As for getting rid of them, I am a GMO FS and was asked to "extend" for another tour (with a waiver that is nothing more than my saying OK).... As for training Aerospace Med docs, sure they'd like more of them, but the RAM program is 3 years and they don't even have close to amount of slots to fill the replacement of the GMO's--- I can guarantee this will never happer b/c you can't find that many docs asking for the RAM

How do you like flight surgery? It seems like it would be a great oppurtunity to do some fun AF stuff before going on to specialize in something. Did they teach you how to fly?

Members don't see this ad :)
USAF FS generally don't "fly" anything, you may get some short stick time in a trainer or fighter, but really you don't actually pilot anything. You do fly, at least monthly, sometimes alot more depending where you are and what airframes are at your base or deployed locations. FS tour is not a bad gig, I did 2 years and hung out to re-apply for Rads and got it. I do believe the time was well worth it for this specialty, and the hours certainly aren't brutal. Be prepared to deploy w/i 6-12 months, but generally the patient load is not huge by any means. If you are applying for a competative specialty and don't match, but desire to come in and attempt to match to a military slot in 2-3 years, it can be a helper. If you are applying for a relatively non-competative residency, I'd recommend coming in and finishing your 3-4 year HPSP time and then getting out with the GI bill and go on with your "choice" of residency...

I actually know of someone in your shoes

I did a flight med rotation out at andrews and worked with a FS.
His story

USUHS grad, didnt match ENT
Did internship at Andrews, got a FS slot at Andrews (his wife also USUHS grad, did couples match thing), and after 2 years, matched into ENT and will begin at Wilford Hall this July

If you want to know more about flight med and the opportunities, do a search on the forum, this has been discussed many times

I was actually fortunate enough (or unfortunate, depending who you ask on the board) to match into an FP/Flight med follow-on so I'll be doing my FS stint right after residency

hmm...you guys seem to know a lot about FS. What exactly is a RAM? I think it's a FS with a Master's in Public Health, but what does that mean? :confused:

Nylesor said:
hmm...you guys seem to know a lot about FS. What exactly is a RAM? I think it's a FS with a Master's in Public Health, but what does that mean? :confused:
A RAM is someone that finished a Residency in Aerospace Medicine. An MPH is part of that as well as training in occupational medicine. If I remember correctly, it's a 3 year residency...but I don't remember if that includes the year for an MPH.

Correct

RAM = Residency in Aerospace Medicine. In the USAF, it is a 3 year residency, but year 1 is to complete your MPH. In the end, you can take board exams for Prev Med and Occ Medicine...

Typically RAM's are mainly administrative physicians/occupational medicine based. They don't (generally) see alot of patient nor perform patient care on a daily basis. Most RAM's are docs whom have completed another residency, but some RAM's are in the program after completion of only an intern year. Basically, if you want a career in the USAF, it is a good way to move up / get promoted, but you don't really have much in the way of medical skills when you retire. Unless you are career, or interested in preventative medicine/occupational medicine/or just "burned out" in your current specialty,

I'd recommend completing another residency first (get boarded) , then if you do get burned out or want a break/change, go into the RAM.

My 2 cents