Debt from medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plankton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is all of the debt acquired in medical school from the first four years? I understand that you begin earning a small salary beginning in internship but are the first four years the only ones that you have to actively pay for?

Members don't see this ad.

Is all of the debt acquired in medical school from the first four years? I understand that you begin earning a small salary beginning in internship but are the first four years the only ones that you have to actively pay for?

well med school only lasts for 4 years unless you get the crazies and decide you need a PhD, JD, MBA, etc...so yeah.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people incur additional debt during residencies and fellowships, particularly if they are attending programs in an expensive city where the resident's pay cannot support them...think NYC, etc...

Some people incur additional debt during residencies and fellowships, particularly if they are attending programs in an expensive city where the resident's pay cannot support them...think NYC, etc...

wouldn't such additional debt be marginal compared to tuition and living expenses from med school years? (assuming the resident has no family to support on his/her own). although its very difficult to live in NYC off of 40k/yr, I know people who are living there with equal levels of income with jobs that allow for much more free time (= time to waste your money).

wouldn't such additional debt be marginal compared to tuition and living expenses from med school years? (assuming the resident has no family to support on his/her own). although its very difficult to live in NYC off of 40k/yr, I know people who are living there with equal levels of income with jobs that allow for much more free time (= time to waste your money).

It may be marginal debt, but it is debt nonetheless going on the pile...may actually serve a very useful purpose if it serves to defer the start of repayment (or is that automatically deferred until the new doc finishes all residencies and fellowships anyway?). The answer to this is well beyond the scope of what I know...

Don't forget about the interest you'll be accumulating until your debt is payed off.

well med school only lasts for 4 years unless you get the crazies and decide you need a PhD, JD, MBA, etc...so yeah.

True, the PhD will push 4 years of med school into 7-8 years.

But the MD/PhDs are the lucky ones. If you're in an MSTP program, tuition is paid for by the school.

But yeah - the JD/MBA/MPH people are out of luck.

ahhhhh i do the only sane thing: i just don't think about the debt :)