Deciding between 2 Masters programs - need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbletown

Reaction score
Hi all. Coming off an unsuccessful app cycle, I decided to apply for a few SMPs to improve my application and build some new connections. I thought I'd be fortunate to get into even 1 one of the programs for which I applied, and I officially heard last Fri that I was accepted at both.

One is the MS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Tulane, which has a great track record for med school matriculation, and a myriad of resources available. The other is a more experimental MA in Design with a focus on Health Care at UT-Austin, a program that offers unique perspective on the world of health care and patient care. Many opportunities for service and research unrelated to the natural sciences. While one seems tried and true for med school prep (Tulane), the other is a gamble, but one that has paid off for other students in the history of the program (UT-Austin). I really am not sure which is the move.

For context:

I am a TX resident non-trad (25 yo, background in Speech Pathology/Audiology),
BCPM 3.8,
MCAT 507 (definitely planning on re-taking),
medical scribe work, tutoring, volunteering locally.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but the purpose of an SMP is to prove you are academically capable for med school. With a competitive sGPA of 3.8 you have already shown that. In your case, it is a huge waste of time/money in my opinion, adding on unnecessary risk (SMPs have close to the level of med school rigor, but you need to achieve mostly As).

I would take a closer look at your essays / activities to see where you can improve. If you had interviews, maybe it comes down to your interview skills. It could also be your school list, which can be equally as important as your essays or stats (you really want to apply broadly).

An SMP likely won't really add much benefit, as you have such a strong sGPA. It may even hurt your chances (depending on how you perform).
I don't see the point of an SMP in your case. Almost everyone I personally knew who has done an SMP had a sGPA below 3.2.
The only exception is if you can find a program with a guaranteed acceptance to med school (upon achieving a certain GPA/MCAT), which neither of these programs are.

And with a 507 MCAT, a re-take may not really be necessary. I would only do it, if you really want. But because of your GPA, you stand a good chance at most MD schools, but a 510+ MCAT will definitely improve your chances. But again, I do NOT think that stats are at all an issue for you.

But If I had to chose (with a low GPA) I would go to Tulane out of these two.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)