deciding between upenn, uconn, and tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teethmonkey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do people think about these schools (uconn, upenn, and tufts)? impressions? aside from uconn being cheaper as a factor (i'm a mass resident)...where would you go between these schools?

just wanted to know your thoughts as i'm debating between these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

teethmonkey said:
what do people think about these schools (uconn, upenn, and tufts)? impressions? aside from uconn being cheaper as a factor (i'm a mass resident)...where would you go between these schools?

I personally like smaller schools. I have a good respect for UConn, as the people that I know that have gone there have good things to say about it. Most of the poeople that I know that have gone to tufts have negative things to say about it. U Penn seems to be a specialization factory for the most part. If I was gonna rank your schools for ME, I would put U Conn first. That being said, you will be a well trained dentist after your education at each of these institutions. They will all allow you to specialize at the top schools if you do well. Pick the cheapest one and go for it.

i would go to UCONN also if i were in your shoes
best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a UConn student and I'd come to UConn if I had the choice to make all over again. It's very tough here, but we get a rock solid education, we have great faculty, the class is very close, tuition is still pretty low, Farmington is beautiful, and so on. If you want to ask me any specifics, feel free to e-mail me.

MsPurtell said:
I'm a UConn student and I'd come to UConn if I had the choice to make all over again. It's very tough here, but we get a rock solid education, we have great faculty, the class is very close, tuition is still pretty low, Farmington is beautiful, and so on. If you want to ask me any specifics, feel free to e-mail me.

Hey there MsPurtell. I'm coming to UCONN in July for postgrad. I have a couple a questions if you don't mind:

What is there to do for fun in Farmington? I mean it seems like a nice place, but does it not get pretty dull around there?

And do you have any idea if the postgrad students get the same time off as the undergrad? And what exactly are your vacations (ie how long for winter, spring, etc)? The link on the UCONN webpage for the calender is broken, and i dont really feel like calling up the director to ask him what are breaks are going to be :) Thanks in advance.

Any other info u could think of would be greatly apprectiated too.

I read an article recently how UConn, Harvard, and Columbia students all take there first year general courses with the medical students. Because of this students from these schools seem to do a lot better on their boards and something crazy like 2/3 UConn students specialize. $$ important as well.

Dental students at UConn take 1st and 2nd year basic medical science courses with the medical class - it's a lot of work.

Yep, first two years are a ballbuster. Paid off in board scores tho. I don't think we have 2/3 specializing (at least not last year), but we do have a super track record for getting people into the toughest specialties at high rates.

Please let the same be true for me!!!

And, yes, tuition and fees are still very low compared to other schools. Next year total bill will be about 18K (tuition and fees) plus living expenses and books.

TuftsJZ said:
I read an article recently how UConn, Harvard, and Columbia students all take there first year general courses with the medical students. Because of this students from these schools seem to do a lot better on their boards and something crazy like 2/3 UConn students specialize. $$ important as well.

thanks for all the input guys..lots of factors to consider

teethmonkey said:
thanks for all the input guys..lots of factors to consider

I know absolutely everything about all dental schools. UPenn and Uconn are both very good - i would personally choose upenn though. But as for Tufts: it is crap-tastic - do not choose tufts. Arrogance reaches a whole new level at that school.

delicious said:
But as for Tufts: it is crap-tastic - do not choose tufts. Arrogance reaches a whole new level at that school.

I would like to know why you think Tufts is such a 'crappy' school? Is it just arrogance? I thought it was an excellent school when I went to visit.

delicious said:
I know absolutely everything about all dental schools. UPenn and Uconn are both very good - i would personally choose upenn though. But as for Tufts: it is crap-tastic - do not choose tufts. Arrogance reaches a whole new level at that school.

what do you mean it's arrogant? the students? the school? or in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
teethmonkey said:
what do you mean it's arrogant? the students? the school? or in general?

it's the school. I've never been more put off by an admissions staff than I was by them. Don't go there.

delicious said:
it's the school. I've never been more put off by an admissions staff than I was by them. Don't go there.

I found the admissions staff to be quite nice. I was suprised that you got that impression. What about them made you think they were so arrogant.

UPENN is the best. You want a program that is focused on dentistry, not share classes with the med students. The only reason that they are not separate is because they couldn't get enought money to do so. In that case we should combine nursing and other graduate health programs together?

That is why I picked UPENN!

I'm stuck in the same boat as you-- I'm picking between tufts and U-penn. I also got into U-conn, but decided that I didn't want to go to school with med students and felt like the quality of life in farmington might not be the best.

As for Tufts and U-penn, I'm trying to figure out the differences-

Tufts:
Better clinical reputation (although Mark Gonthier told me that the percentage of students graduating on time, ie. on graduation day, was around 60-70%-- this worries me a bit and makes me wonder if something is wrong with the school)

Exam blocks (can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing)

City- Boston is most excellent, but expensive

Board scores- the packet given to us @ interview showed that board scores were going down

Low specialization rates, most people seem to want to be GPs at Tufts

Laid back atmosphere-- people worked hard, but weren't super stressed

Nice people
------------------
PENN:
Supposedly more academic than cliinical, although I showed Penn's clinical requirements to a dentist and she said that they were extensive and thorough... so I'm not sure what to make of that

Exams are spread out, about one a week or so (I think this might be a bit stressful for me)

City- Philly isn't the best city, although I did like the Penn campus and it would be cheaper to live in philly

High board scores, and high specialization rate-- going to Penn gives you options in the future?

People seemed nice, but everyone I talked to also mentioned that they were all stressed and working really hard
----

SOOOO.... those are the factors that I'm considering. I feel like both schools are good choices, but I'm having trouble deciding which one is really for me. I hope that I have helped you a bit... and if anyone would like to argue against any of my points, I would love to see another perspective.
Thanks,
~Mechis

mechis said:
I'm stuck in the same boat as you-- I'm picking between tufts and U-penn. I also got into U-conn, but decided that I didn't want to go to school with med students and felt like the quality of life in farmington might not be the best.

As for Tufts and U-penn, I'm trying to figure out the differences-

Tufts:
Better clinical reputation (although Mark Gonthier told me that the percentage of students graduating on time, ie. on graduation day, was around 60-70%-- this worries me a bit and makes me wonder if something is wrong with the school)

Exam blocks (can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing)

City- Boston is most excellent, but expensive

Board scores- the packet given to us @ interview showed that board scores were going down

Low specialization rates, most people seem to want to be GPs at Tufts

Laid back atmosphere-- people worked hard, but weren't super stressed

Nice people
------------------
PENN:
Supposedly more academic than cliinical, although I showed Penn's clinical requirements to a dentist and she said that they were extensive and thorough... so I'm not sure what to make of that

Exams are spread out, about one a week or so (I think this might be a bit stressful for me)

City- Philly isn't the best city, although I did like the Penn campus and it would be cheaper to live in philly

High board scores, and high specialization rate-- going to Penn gives you options in the future?

People seemed nice, but everyone I talked to also mentioned that they were all stressed and working really hard
----

SOOOO.... those are the factors that I'm considering. I feel like both schools are good choices, but I'm having trouble deciding which one is really for me. I hope that I have helped you a bit... and if anyone would like to argue against any of my points, I would love to see another perspective.
Thanks,
~Mechis

Well, I can just tell you about PENN.

PHilly- It isn't the best city, but you are going to be studying anyway....lol It is a decent city, and it is only less than 2hr drive to NY or DC. There are a lot of things to do it has a lot of history. But, I haven't had a chance to see much because I am studying...no joke..

Exams- The students choose the way the exams are given. Your class can even have one moved if they don't like the time. I am on the committee that decides how the schedule should be for the next class. They change the schedule every year to try to make it more student friendly. I have a MS from another dental school/medical school and I have never seen a school like UPENN that so willing to change (every year!) to better the learning environment for students. I like that!

People- The students here are nice. Stressed, yes! Why, becasue they are anal. Not everyone here is like that. There are a lot of cool laid back people. I'm not anal, so I'm not stressed. Most people here wants to specialize so they work really hard to stay on top of there game.

Clinical requirement are pleanty...... Students have been complaining because they think there are to much!?!

Good luck of your choice. I really like it here. We have EXCELLENT faculty!

Thanks Brutus. Just curious-- what year in dental school are you?
Thanks,
~Mechis

I totally agree with Jediwendell's advice. Given the choice of the three schools, I too would choose UCONN. #1 reason - cheap, but you already know that. Although they are hardcore med school in years 1 & 2, national board averages are always high. I think they also do not rank their students, also a big bonus b/c the other two do rank. (Penn only ranks the top 10, everyone else is not ranked.) All of this only means that you can have the edge to specialize out of UConn if you want, if not, you can be a GP and have just saved yourself some $$$ in loan repayment.

But UConn is in Farmington, so if 4 years of living there is going to kill you, then pay the price to study in Boston or Philly.

I did not apply to UCONN dental school, but it is very good and inexpensive. I did get into Tufts and Penn. Both are good schools. Penn is more research based and Tufts is more clinically based. I recently graduated from Tufts. The clinical education is second to none in my opinion. I know people who went to Penn and the clinical education leaves much to be desired. As far as specializing, go can get into any specialty program from any dental school as long as you work your tail off. I went to Tufts, recieved a great clinical education and am an OMFS resident at the program of my choice. UCONN is a very good school, but if location is an issue, think twice. If $$$ is an issue, go there. In the end, do what you think will make you happy.

mechis said:
Thanks Brutus. Just curious-- what year in dental school are you?
Thanks,
~Mechis

I'm a 2nd year

teethmonkey said:

So, teethmonkey, what was your decision? You posted dec. 5; so, I figure there must've been a deadline. I hope you chose Uconn or Upenn. Just curious!!

Ms. Purtell, on you sig.: I think you mean "seize the day." :oops:
I before E, except after .... DAMMIT! Doesn't work for seize. Hate spelling too.