Deciding on a career help

Boobalah10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school student currently in 11th grade. I am in a job shadowing program at my local hospital and LNA class in my high school. Currently I'm not sure what to do for a career. I'll be honest salary is a very important in my decision. Currently I'm torn between going to school for a masters in hospital administration/marketing after taking a job such as director of marketing or director of a department. The other two are a Physcians assistant and a Nurse Anesthetist. I plan on living in New England but would be willing to move for a job. Again what do you think for the future would be the best to go for.

Members don't see this ad.

If this post is legit then I suggest getting into college for a start. You are young, with many years ahead. Your plans may change.

If this is a joke, I almost pissed myself at this part regarding plans after your masters: "taking a job a director of marketing or director of a department." Hahaha.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year one of the nurses at my hospital was telling me how her son was interested in becoming a pediatric neurosurgeon. But she wants him to do pediatric cardiology. Later she told me he was in 10th grade. Lol! I said maybe he should think about working on his SAT before deciding on peds cardiology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year one of the nurses at my hospital was telling me how her son was interested in becoming a pediatric neurosurgeon. But she wants him to do pediatric cardiology. Later she told me he was in 10th grade. Lol! I said maybe he should think about working on his SAT before deciding on peds cardiology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't you heard of the new program that is a combined pre-med/med school/neuro residency/peds neuro fellowship? It's 15 years instead of 16.

Do anything but medicine, kid.

I'm a high school student currently in 11th grade. I am in a job shadowing program at my local hospital and LNA class in my high school. Currently I'm not sure what to do for a career. I'll be honest salary is a very important in my decision. Currently I'm torn between going to school for a masters in hospital administration/marketing after taking a job such as director of marketing or director of a department. The other two are a Physcians assistant and a Nurse Anesthetist. I plan on living in New England but would be willing to move for a job. Again what do you think for the future would be the best to go for.

serious question...why are you asking this on an anesthesiology forum? I mean you aren't even debating anesthesiologist as one of your choices.

1) Get good grades and go to a good college.
2) See what you like and determine possible career path.
3) apply to schools or jobs that you see fitting with #2

A HS student asking a bunch of doctors that decided to become anesthesiologists whether or not you should be an MBA, PA, or CRNA would be like a HS student asking LeBron James whether he should try to play in the NHL or go to Europe to a soccer academy. LeBron might have some possibly good advice, but not in any of the areas relevant to the question being asked.

This is too personal for us to answer with what you've provided us. I'd go for what ever the free market will be asking for in the future.

You're really the only one who can answer this. What I would recommend is shadow everybody who will let you. PA, CRNA, and MD/DO are all great careers with some significant differences and pros/cons.

What I will say is that Director of Marketing/Hospital Administration is very different than the other ones that you've mentioned. There is no patient care or medical decision making in those positions. My wife works in healthcare marketing, she spends her time in an office off campus, with the occasional photo shoot or patient interview in the hospital. If you are leaning towards this field mainly because you like the patient care aspect of it, then I would rate these lower on your list.

Doctor.