Deciding Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drTulane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating whether to attend University of Florida, U Penn, or Tufts. What are the pros and cons of teach school and which school would you go to and why?
Thanks
D

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard U Penn if you want to specialize. Personally I would pick the school that costs the least amount of money.

KY2007 said:
I've heard U Penn if you want to specialize. Personally I would pick the school that costs the least amount of money.

I don't know the schools, but I disagree with KY2007 because money should not be an issue because its all going to cost a lot. Just my 2 cents :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a search on each school up above. There has been LOTS of talk about the schools on here lately. I would pick one that you see yourself truely being happy at for the next 4 years. Therefore, look at vibe you got from the schools, their cirriculums, location, etc... Good Luck!

I decided on Tufts over Penn because of curriculum, facilities, support of administration, clinical strength and location. Boston is one hundred times cooler than Philly.

i know money might seem to be huge in the beginning but choose the school with better reputation in dental dept..... i am a recent grad & have a huge loan but now that i practice & see other school grads, i am so glad i went where i did b/c i am a better clinician... u truly get better training ..... also location is big... weather (snow vs sunny), trains vs cars.... many issues.... good luc.k... i interviewed at tufts (good but bad weather; city life so if u enjoy that then good for u; i like suburbia). I would lean towards florida due to weather, location. sorry to say but academically i don't know too much about other 2; only tufts...

Definitely take cost into consideration. Also, as I will point out once again: How many matriculate and how many graduate? Then the rest is really what you are looking to get out of the Dental School. Good Luck.

ToothGuy05 said:
Definitely take cost into consideration. Also, as I will point out once again: How many matriculate and how many graduate? Then the rest is really what you are looking to get out of the Dental School. Good Luck.

I agree with toothguy.. if you like all places equally.. then take the cheapest one. I am hoping that I am able to have a cheaper place to go to (UNC) so that I dont have to break the bank by going to Penn. Also take the weather into consideration.. I really hate the cold.. another reason why I prefer to stay in NC.. although if you want to specialize, pick Penn (I dont want to). If I were you I would pick florida, but thats just me.

All schools will make you into a good dentist but think of where you will be the most comfortable for the next 4 years.. Good luck with your decision. :thumbup:

so which type of school is better? A teaching one or a non? I want to know the low down btwn. Univ o FL vs NOVA. and how is Financial aid administered? Does everybody pretty much get approved for a loan. Would being a single-mother hinder or help getting some aid?

And which schools are known for being least expensive?

Pat1977 said:
i know money might seem to be huge in the beginning but choose the school with better reputation in dental dept..... i am a recent grad & have a huge loan but now that i practice & see other school grads, i am so glad i went where i did b/c i am a better clinician... u truly get better training ..... also location is big... weather (snow vs sunny), trains vs cars.... many issues.... good luc.k... i interviewed at tufts (good but bad weather; city life so if u enjoy that then good for u; i like suburbia). I would lean towards florida due to weather, location. sorry to say but academically i don't know too much about other 2; only tufts...

How do you know that you would not have been a better clinician no matter where you went. Maybe your just skilled. Not to bust on your school because I'm sure that it's great, but there are plenty of good schools out there that don't cost an arm and a leg to go to.

Thanks guys,
I don't know if I would specialize or not. They are all great schools, which is making the decision really difficult.

drTulane said:
Thanks guys,
I don't know if I would specialize or not. They are all great schools, which is making the decision really difficult.

Yes, they are all great schools. Consider yourself lucky to have to make a choice at all--some aren't as fortunate and must reapply for the 2nd or 3rd time.

Do NOT make a decision based on whether you want to specialize. Too much can change between now and graduate (heck, you haven't even had a single dental school class yet) and you can end up really miserable.

Good luck!

I'm curious about the matching rates at Florida. Are they a more clinical school?

angeeeeee said:
I don't know the schools, but I disagree with KY2007 because money should not be an issue because its all going to cost a lot. Just my 2 cents :)

U got to be kidding, right?

Are we hearing this from someone who is going to public school~?

angeeeeee said:

Hold up...if I recall correctly you switched from UOP to UW. Please don't tell me money had nothing to do with your decision. I think money should def be considered in the decision process. For every $1000 you cut your tuition you cut your repayment (10yr) by about $100 a month.

Yaaay, another double-post from the G man!

J2AZ said:
Hold up...if I recall correctly you switched from UOP to UW. Please don't tell me money had nothing to do with your decision. I think money should def be considered in the decision process. For every $1000 you cut your tuition you cut your repayment (10yr) by about $100 a month.

just to correct, every $10,000 is roughly equivalent to $100/month, or so the ADA hand out says

drTulane said:
I am debating whether to attend University of Florida, U Penn, or Tufts. What are the pros and cons of teach school and which school would you go to and why?
Thanks
D

Tufts is a no brainer if you know what I'm saying.
Great clinical if not the best and wonderful opportunity to have a specialty if you want to.
What else do you want?
Britney Spears!?
She's married a punk.

I vote UF although I am biased!! :D Great school, good loction, wonderfull weather, pretty cheap, nice sim lab, friendly and helpfull administration, etc...

But also think about where you would like to practice in the future. I want to remain in FL and everyone I talked to told me that the Florida Boards are REALLY hard and the passing rate for students from out of state are drasticly lower.... so just something else to keep in mind ;)