Deciding which MD/PhD program to matriculate into...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transgenderinmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm still relatively new here, but have a question most likely coming from a naive place, but if I was accepted at both a top 20 medical school (UCSD) for their MSTP program as well as a newer less reputable school (Hofstra Northshore-LIJ) for their MD/PhD program is it a bad decision to deny UCSD for Hofstra, I obviously know that you should go to a school where you feel is the best match for you personally. I honestly like Hofstra better in terms of their innovative curriculum, early patient exposure, dedication the faculty have for the students, and proximity to New York City. However their MD/PhD program is through the Feinstein Institute and I honestly do not know a lot about this institute and am not aware of high impact papers published from them. It is still a relatively new institution from my understanding and so maybe they are just getting their feet on the ground. Many of my friends think it is not wise to deny UCSD. I went to UCSD for undergrad, grew up in San Diego, and honestly want a change. I love the idea of living on long island in New York and this will be a good 8 or so years of my life and I think location should be highly considered. UCSD is mainly lecture based curriculum and very traditional. I appreciate the innovative nature of Hofstra. Obviously UCSD has immense resources in terms of research opportunities and that's the part that pains me if I did chose Hofstra over UCSD. I guess my question is that if I chose Hofstra, does this impact my future in academic medicine? I feel like in academic medicine the prestige of the school you went to is kind of a big factor. Any honest opinions would be nice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Additionally I would love to do my residency in New York City. Do you think either school would have a better impact on that as well? Thank you! :)

If you're going to bother doing a PhD, do it in the best possible place. That's UCSD without a doubt. If you're planning to bail on the PhD in a year or two, it matters less.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be foolish to take Hofstra over UCSD. There is no comparison. If you applied to and were rejected by all the major NYC MSTPs, you should be delighted that you got an offer from UCSD.

So a PhD from Hofstra can hurt my academic career for sure? I really did like the feel of the place, but I would hate to put my future in jeapordy if that's the case.

So a PhD from Hofstra can hurt my academic career for sure? I really did like the feel of the place, but I would hate to put my future in jeapordy if that's the case.
I'm not sure it will hurt your career, but a PhD from UCSD will be massively beneficial to your career.

And trust me...living on Long Island for the next 8 years or so will make you miserable.

Look into whether Hofstra would let you do your PhD at Cold Spring Harbor or MSKCC/Rockefeller/other NYC PhD programs were you to get into their programs (this is unlikely but worth asking; you would need to gain separate admission to the PhD program as an M1/M2 and then return to Hofstra after the PhD). Many of the researchers that I saw listed on Hofstra's website were not PI's (which is a red flag to me- I couldn't find an appropriate list of research mentors/their current graduate students).

I don't think many people know Hofstra has a medical school TBH. I would strongly consider UCSD because no-one will question your education there.

It sounds like a major factor for you is NYC. It is an amazing place to be, but unfortunately, as an MD/PhD living within NYC, I doubt you will spend much time in the city if you go to Hofstra. I know long island may seem close to Manhattan and they may have sold it to you that way, but trust me it feels VERY far away and is huge hassle to commute from, especially late at night. I have very little time to explore the city and I live in the village, close to everything.

Haha you guys have convinced me. Yeah New York didn't give me much love except for Hofstra which was definitely great in terms of curriculum, but I see myself suffering during my PhD there. Thanks you guys :) Who knows maybe I will get a surprise interview in February from somewhere else.

Jumping on this thread (hope you don't mind, OP!) to ask a similar question:

What are folks' thoughts on Drexel vs Hofstra for MD/PhD?

To give an idea of how I've been approaching it so far ("show my work"): I keep going through the list of pros and cons for a variety of categories that run up and down the priority spectrum. Where can I finish PhD faster? Which one matches better? Which one preps for Steps better? Where will I be happier (in terms of living? in terms of schooling or work?)? Where do I like students better? Which one is closer to my SO?

Are some of these concerns misguided? Are there other questions I should be asking? Does anyone have answers for any of these questions (i.e. which might afford a career advantage, if that's at all discernible on an impersonal level).

Thank you.

Last edited: