Deciding which way to go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heather0309

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am currently in school for my BA in Psychology, I still have about a year left. I will be continuing to my Masters but this is where I am stuck. I would like to do counseling for teens and adolescents but not in a school setting. What type of Masters degree should I look at?

Members don't see this ad.

The most common Masters degrees for counseling would be MFT or MSW. Both of these should prepare you to work with teens and adolescents. When you say not in a school setting, did you mean in private practice or part of a group?

Hey everyone! I am currently in school for my BA in Psychology, I still have about a year left. I will be continuing to my Masters but this is where I am stuck. I would like to do counseling for teens and adolescents but not in a school setting. What type of Masters degree should I look at?

This question has been asked extensively on this masters forum. You'll find a wealth of answers by using the search function.

But to add to what the previous poster wrote: it depends on what state you are in, whether you are in a therapist-saturated major metro center or not, etc. You can begin by seeing what the licensing requirements are by visiting your state board of behavioral sciences website.