Decimal points...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheJourney

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the Ka of the HClO is 33 x 10^-8, the Kb value of ClO- is:

A. 3 x 10^-7
B. 3.3 x 10^8
C. 3.3 x 10^6
D. 14

Very simple question, but the decimals have me all worked up. I was able to figure this one out knowing that 1x10^-14 = Ka x Kb. All decimal places aside, knowing it must be equivalent to an integer of 1, I was able to reason that 33x3 = 99 which is approx 100 (a factor of 1) and 33x3.3 would be greater than 1. However when I try to solve it, I can't seem to get the right exponent doing it in my head. Kb = (1x10^-14)/(33x10^-8), I re-wrote as (100x10^-12)/(33x10^-8) then dividing I get 3^(-12- -8) = 3^-4, the correct answer choice A which has it to the ^-7. I thought maybe I should have written it as 100x10^-16 and not 100x10^-12, but that would be 3x10^-8, still not 10^-7.
 
The answer is wrong I believe it should be 3 x 10^-8. I Think i remember doing that problem and finding error posted on EK web forums.

Taking the product of the Kb and Ka you would expect to get: 1*10^-14 and not 9.9*10^-14
 
How is it wrong? Wouldn't the error have to be in the exponents.

.33x3 = .99, .99 is close enough to 1, or no?
If I'm mistaken, could you please elaborate.
 
So 9.9 * 10^-14 is almost 1.0 * 10^-13
So it's off by an order of magnitude.

Alternatively use 34 instead of 33.. you would expect to get slightly more than 1x10^-14.
But you don't. You get: 1.02 * 10^-13