How long does it take to increase score 20+ points?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedliz

Reaction score
I just took the Kaplan full length practice test. Thought this would be a good place to start and see what I need to focus on. I got a 482 (4th percentile YIKES). I’ve been doing my MPH, so I’ve been out of STEM classes for 2 years.

I don’t need to take the exam until March, is this enough time to raise my score to a 510?

I know it’s a big jump, but I feel like I’m starting to study pretty early, since I need to relearn everything! Also, any study advice/ material recommendations would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t worry to much over a third party practice FL. Some of them make them hard intentionally to make you spend more money on their products. Just go at your own pace, and I wouldn’t worry until you take your first AAMC FL exams.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Jim, 3rd party exams are great for practice but not for approximating a score. In terms of how long it will take, no one can really know for sure. One of my students went from a sub 500 to a 520 in 6 weeks with 10+ hours of studying per day, I’ve had others who have gone from 500 to 506 in 4 months. It really depends on your needs, how effective you are with your time, how well you read and analyze passages, etc. I usually tell folks I work with to aim for between 300-500 hours of prep, ideally over no more than 4 months.

Reactions: 3 users
If it's been a while since your last STEM class, then a low score should be expected. Once you do content review, you should see a pretty massive score increase.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t worry to much over a third party practice FL. Some of them make them hard intentionally to make you spend more money on their products. Just go at your own pace, and I wouldn’t worry until you take your first AAMC FL exams.
Thank you so much! This makes me feel so much better!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Jim, 3rd party exams are great for practice but not for approximating a score. In terms of how long it will take, no one can really know for sure. One of my students went from a sub 500 to a 520 in 6 weeks with 10+ hours of studying per day, I’ve had others who have gone from 500 to 506 in 4 months. It really depends on your needs, how effective you are with your time, how well you read and analyze passages, etc. I usually tell folks I work with to aim for between 300-500 hours of prep, ideally over no more than 4 months.
Got it. That's gonna be a lot with my Masters and work, but I'll make it happen.

If it's been a while since your last STEM class, then a low score should be expected. Once you do content review, you should see a pretty massive score increase.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you so much! I feel like just studying this past week, so much has come back to me.