Decisions on Graduate programs in case this year's acceptances don't work out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warped Apostle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to All:
I just reapplied this year and am crossing my fingers for some good luck. However, I have to think up a back up plan in case this does not work out. I plan to reapply again for the 3rd time if needed and want a graduate program that will increase my chances and give me an edge. I have narrowed my options down to three:
1. Masters in Anatomy (2 year program that mirrors the 1st year med students curriculum)
2. Masters in Public Health (2 year program)
3. Masters in Science (1 year program).

I took the spring 2006 mcat, which I think if i do the 2 year program I will have to retake because I would be applying for the class of 2010. But if the two year programs give me a better shot, then I won't mind.

Let me know what you think

Members don't see this ad.

You sound dedicated to getting in. That in mind, your next move should be tailored to fix why you didn't get in this time. Low uGPA? Do a post-bacc. No research (unlikely)? Do research. And so on.

I'll tell you that my grad degree helped me very little in getting in. Grad programs, while others may see it as a better use of your time than ugrad courses, don't help that much getting in. There's many reasons why, but if your target is med school, figure out why you weren't successful, and spend your time fixing that.

I don't think my stats were that bad GPA 3.56, MCAT 30 , Major: Neurobiology. I guess I could use a little better GPA, but I guess my main focus is to get my name on some research papers and make "connections" with the medical school (which explains why I am only applying to programs that are associated with medical schools).

if I'm stupidly missing something, but your profile appears to indicate you were accepted to 3 schools in 2003. I don't understand this thread.