DEERS Verification for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAbrown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with DEERS? I have been struggling with it. If you are not in DEERS before your first HPSP military paycheck (stipend, etc.), will the military pay you what they owe you once you get into DEERS? For example, if you were not in DEERS when your first stipend of $1279 was given, will you receive that stipend plus another $1279 once you are verified in DEERS (will the mil. pay what they owe you)?

Members don't see this ad.

TAbrown said:
Has anyone had problems with DEERS? I have been struggling with it. If you are not in DEERS before your first HPSP military paycheck (stipend, etc.), will the military pay you what they owe you once you get into DEERS? For example, if you were not in DEERS when your first stipend of $1279 was given, will you receive that stipend plus another $1279 once you are verified in DEERS (will the mil. pay what they owe you)?

OK, lets make this simple.

You have a benefit start date.
That date is the latest of the three:

1) The day you sign your commissioning documents.
2) The day you are accepted into the program.
3) The day you start school.

For most #3 is it and when you get paid. If for some reason DEERS is the issue, it will NOT prevent you from getting paid or have you getting paid twice. They will pay you what you are due.

What the heck is DEERS?

Members don't see this ad :)
DEERS = Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. It's the DoD personnel system, to include civilians and dependents.

TAbrown said:
Has anyone had problems with DEERS?

If you've been in the military, then the answer is almost invariably yes.

I've been enrolled in DEERS in one fashion or another since its inception, and I still have ongoing issues with it.

They'll never really work it out, and eventually they'll switch over to a new system. Welcome to government work.

My DEERS adventure.

Commissioned May 30, told I would be in DEERS within 7 days.

Went on day 15 to get my ID card made. Waited for 3 hours to find out I was not in DEERS. Since I was a very rare HPSP person, nobody really knew whom to contact to put me in. I was asked what my reserve unit was, for my orders, you name it. Finally I just told them to call my recruiter and she fixed it. Told I would be in DEERS the next day.

Came back a week later to try again. Was in DEERS, but my date of birth was inexplicably wrong. It was 4 months and 4 years off. :confused: Got my ID anyways to get my ACU top for the remake of the ID.

Came back 2 weeks later to fix my date of birth. Was sent back and forth in the same building since nobody knew wtf to do. Finally I asked the attractive hispanic woman to give me the number and person I needed to contact and I would do it myself.

Today I was able to fax my birth certificate to the DEERS office, which is what I was instructed to do. Supposedly it will be fixed in 3 days, but I am going to wait another 14 before going back to get my ID remade.

Have fun, the Army is a hoot.

HooahDOc said:
My DEERS adventure.

Commissioned May 30, told I would be in DEERS within 7 days.

Went on day 15 to get my ID card made. Waited for 3 hours to find out I was not in DEERS. Since I was a very rare HPSP person, nobody really knew whom to contact to put me in. I was asked what my reserve unit was, for my orders, you name it. Finally I just told them to call my recruiter and she fixed it. Told I would be in DEERS the next day.

Came back a week later to try again. Was in DEERS, but my date of birth was inexplicably wrong. It was 4 months and 4 years off. :confused: Got my ID anyways to get my ACU top for the remake of the ID.

Came back 2 weeks later to fix my date of birth. Was sent back and forth in the same building since nobody knew wtf to do. Finally I asked the attractive hispanic woman to give me the number and person I needed to contact and I would do it myself.

Today I was able to fax my birth certificate to the DEERS office, which is what I was instructed to do. Supposedly it will be fixed in 3 days, but I am going to wait another 14 before going back to get my ID remade.

Have fun, the Army is a hoot.

I had the same issue with my DOB in DEERS. I had to fax my birth certificate to the central DEERS office, and I can say that it definitely took more than 3 days - more like a month. What was even more inexplicable was that I was told that the fix would only be temporary unless I changed it permanently, but no one could tell me exactly how to do that. I ended up getting my "career manager" on the phone who was apparently able to fix it with just a few key strokes/phone calls.