Defer enrollment, reapply, or just go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluegrass_druid

Torah del Fuego
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Purgatory is hitting pretty hard as I "enjoy" waitlisted positions for the MSTP at 2 schools (NYU and Colorado) and have not heard word from the third (OHSU), yet. I have been accepted to the MD programs at both CU and OHSU, but I really really want to get into the MSTP, as research/academic medicine is my goal.

To complicate matters, I am currently nearly two years deep in a large, long-term research project in which I am very invested. The entire project pretty much rests on my shoulders, and I really want to see it completed. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be impossible to finish before August, which I did not anticipate when I applied 8 months ago (technical difficulties and turnover in techs have added significant time to the project).

To address this, I see three possibilities

1) Defer 1 year. But I do not know the feasability of deferment, particularly for this reason.

2) Decline and reapply next year. Will this hurt my chances at OHSU and CU, though?

3) Just go to school and scrap the project and ditch my boss.

I would prefer option 1, if possible, particularly if I am ultimately accepted to an MSTP. I don't like the idea of reapplying and am concerned that my chances would be hurt on the second try...but I really want MSTP. Option 3 is a fear-based option: what if I don't get in at all next year?

I would appreciate any guidance/stories to help me with my conundrum.

Many thanks

-BGD

Members don't see this ad.

bluegrass_druid said:
Purgatory is hitting pretty hard as I "enjoy" waitlisted positions for the MSTP at 2 schools (NYU and Colorado) and have not heard word from the third (OHSU), yet. I have been accepted to the MD programs at both CU and OHSU, but I really really want to get into the MSTP, as research/academic medicine is my goal.

To complicate matters, I am currently nearly two years deep in a large, long-term research project in which I am very invested. The entire project pretty much rests on my shoulders, and I really want to see it completed. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be impossible to finish before August, which I did not anticipate when I applied 8 months ago (technical difficulties and turnover in techs have added significant time to the project).

To address this, I see three possibilities

1) Defer 1 year. But I do not know the feasability of deferment, particularly for this reason.

2) Decline and reapply next year. Will this hurt my chances at OHSU and CU, though?

3) Just go to school and scrap the project and ditch my boss.

I would prefer option 1, if possible, particularly if I am ultimately accepted to an MSTP. I don't like the idea of reapplying and am concerned that my chances would be hurt on the second try...but I really want MSTP. Option 3 is a fear-based option: what if I don't get in at all next year?

I would appreciate any guidance/stories to help me with my conundrum.

Many thanks

-BGD

I was in the same position last year that you are in now. I can tell you what I chose and what happened to me.

I was about to go to the mstp at UCLA when I decided that I couldn't leave my project behind. I had worked on it for 3 years and it still needed more work before I could publish it. I talked to the director about a deferral and he agreed to talk it over with the committee (as far as a know, most mstps have a no-deferral policy, unless you are going abroad for a fellowship). The decision still hadn't been made after 2 weeks, but at that point I had made my decision: I sent in my letter of withdrawal and began the entire process over again.

In retrospect, I am happy I made the decision and I really haven't looked back until now. I re-applied and got into a great program (NYU) and waitlisted at a couple of other great programs. In the meantime, I was able to finish my project that I stayed for and also submit a manuscript to a top journal. If it gets published, it will be a great addition to my cv that wouldn't have been there if I hadn't stayed.

But like any life science problem; there are more variables than you'd like to think about. It also helps to know that I only applied to 3 schools last year, two of which were west coast and one east coast. I wanted to reapply because I hadn't seen alot of programs. I also had a serious girlfriend (occured post-applications) that for family reasons, knew she couldn't go to the west coast. All of these reasons made me realize that reapplying was the best idea.

To your question about reapplying to the same school, it worked for me only with the other school that I was also accepted to (I didn't reapply to ucla). The school that i was waitlisted at didn't offer me an interview the second time around (ucsd). I don't know how that helps but I guess it says its possible. As a point though...I know albert einstein rejected me because I turned down ucla last year. They seem to care if you reapply.

Any other questions feel free to ask. hope that helps

aswelikeit said:
I was in the same position last year that you are in now. I can tell you what I chose and what happened to me.

I was about to go to the mstp at UCLA when I decided that I couldn't leave my project behind. I had worked on it for 3 years and it still needed more work before I could publish it. I talked to the director about a deferral and he agreed to talk it over with the committee (as far as a know, most mstps have a no-deferral policy, unless you are going abroad for a fellowship). The decision still hadn't been made after 2 weeks, but at that point I had made my decision: I sent in my letter of withdrawal and began the entire process over again.

In retrospect, I am happy I made the decision and I really haven't looked back until now. I re-applied and got into a great program (NYU) and waitlisted at a couple of other great programs. In the meantime, I was able to finish my project that I stayed for and also submit a manuscript to a top journal. If it gets published, it will be a great addition to my cv that wouldn't have been there if I hadn't stayed.

But like any life science problem; there are more variables than you'd like to think about. It also helps to know that I only applied to 3 schools last year, two of which were west coast and one east coast. I wanted to reapply because I hadn't seen alot of programs. I also had a serious girlfriend (occured post-applications) that for family reasons, knew she couldn't go to the west coast. All of these reasons made me realize that reapplying was the best idea.

To your question about reapplying to the same school, it worked for me only with the other school that I was also accepted to (I didn't reapply to ucla). The school that i was waitlisted at didn't offer me an interview the second time around (ucsd). I don't know how that helps but I guess it says its possible. As a point though...I know albert einstein rejected me because I turned down ucla last year. They seem to care if you reapply.

Any other questions feel free to ask. hope that helps
actually, that is incredibly helpful. our situations are more parallel than you might guess: I have a girlfriend here that would rather stay at least another year to pursue her dance career (NYC), I only applied to 7 schools-5 out west, and I have some other factors that further complicate the matter ($$ and other pursuits)...and I work @ NYU!! It definitely concerns me that you were rejected because you turned down a school...I did not know that information was available to the schools. If you have time, I would like to meet with you to discuss this further, since we are both at NYU. Do you do the happy hour in the Basement of MSB on Fridays?

Members don't see this ad :)
bluegrass_druid said:
actually, that is incredibly helpful. our situations are more parallel than you might guess: I have a girlfriend here that would rather stay at least another year to pursue her dance career (NYC), I only applied to 7 schools-5 out west, and I have some other factors that further complicate the matter ($$ and other pursuits)...and I work @ NYU!! It definitely concerns me that you were rejected because you turned down a school...I did not know that information was available to the schools. If you have time, I would like to meet with you to discuss this further, since we are both at NYU. Do you do the happy hour in the Basement of MSB on Fridays?

Sorry for the miscommunication, but I'm still in Boston. I will be at NYU in June. As for medical schools, they don't know unless they ask. As much as I can remember, Albert Einstein was the only school that asked on their application if you applied to medical schools previously and if you had gotten in, why you didn't go. They were concerned about it because someone called me and asked that I explain my reasons again. I told them everything I posted earlier...and two weeks later I got a rejection letter saying they "recieved many qualified applicants this year and could not give me an interview".

The money issue was another thing that I didn't bring up but was a big factor in staying. My boss couldn't afford to pay me out of his grant because as an undergrad I had outside funding and he never anticipated me staying another year. It was lucky that he was the graduate director and had the power to start a one year masters program so that I could be paid. If he hadn't done that I probably would be at ucla right now.

As for anything else you'd like to discuss, we could email or talk in the phone? I'm up for anything to help out

No worries re: the miscommunication-I didn't realize you just got in. Congrats!! I also applied, but am waitlisted...I had some bizarre interviews as none of the interviewers here did anything remotely similar to my field (genetics/genomics), so it was hard to maintain a good flow of questions and answers. At this point I really prefer the other schools, but I wish I had applied to and visited more.

i can understand a school's concern about declining. With so many very qualified applicants one of the main things they are looking for is commitment and declining an offer certainly does not indicate commitment (even if it is because you are so committed to you actual work). That's pretty cool that your boss hooked you up so well-money for undergrads is tough for them to shell. I am working as a tech right now, having completed an (unpublished) undergraduate thesis, and I would really like to see this thing through.

Hmmmm....still a headbanger. I would like to hear some other stories to see what others' experiences have been. I feel like I will definitely reapply if I am not accepted to any MSTPs, but I am not sure what I will do if I am...

As a person that has had a few "false starts" along the process of getting an MD/PhD, I'd like to congratulate you guys for doing what was best for YOU rather than following what some would call "conventional wisdom". :thumbup:

I'll be a reapplicant this year after passing on an acceptance 6 years ago.

1Path said:
As a person that has had a few "false starts" along the process of getting an MD/PhD, I'd like to congratulate you guys for doing what was best for YOU rather than following what some would call "conventional wisdom". :thumbup:

I'll be a reapplicant this year after passing on an acceptance 6 years ago.

I take it you are recommending reapplication should deferral prove impossible?

Update:

I finally mustered up the courage to ask CU about their deferral policy, and, predictably, I got a semi-cryptic response. But at least it was indicated that it is possible, though convincing the committee may not be so easy. From the other boards I have gathered that it is usually not difficult to defer acceptance to an MD program, and, since I have gotten in to 2 schools, that presents another option: to defer MD enrollment while reapplying to the MD/PhD, but that certainly cuts down my options (thus killing the numbers-game).

As more info filters in, I am sure the dynamics of the decision will change in step. Nevertheless, I would really like to hear any other words of advice, anecdotal or otherwise.

bluegrass_druid said:
From the other boards I have gathered that it is usually not difficult to defer acceptance to an MD program, and, since I have gotten in to 2 schools, that presents another option: to defer MD enrollment while reapplying to the MD/PhD, but that certainly cuts down my options (thus killing the numbers-game).

I think defering is a good option but have you asked the MD/PhD programs the schools you were accepted to what your chances of being accepted next year as an MD applicant are? What about other schools you're interested in?? They may not be as bad as you think especially if you were high on the list of potential acceptees for the program.

One problem we both are going to have is dealing with those schools which specifically ask if you've been accepted somewhere. I have an "acceptable" reason for passing up this opportunity and while I feel that going for want you REALLY want in life (MD/PhD) is a great reason, others people may not agree.

Another option you may want to consider is going to med school then getting your PhD as part of a residency program. There are quite a few students doing this at Hopkins (MD, DVM, DDS) and having hung around a LOT of residents and seen the opportunities that get thrown their way, this may not be a bad option.

You've got options so just think through everthing and do whatever will make you happy! And dont' forget to send in those letter's of interest to NYU!!!! :thumbup:

1Path said:
I think defering is a good option but have you asked the MD/PhD programs the schools you were accepted to what your chances of being accepted next year as an MD applicant are?

Have not asked, but it's a great idea. I'm still waiting for a little more info to move down the pipeline.

1Path said:
I feel that going for want you REALLY want in life (MD/PhD) is a great reason, others people may not agree.

Could not agree more. While I know there are other means to my goals, this one (MD/PhD) fits my needs the best.

1Path said:
Another option you may want to consider is going to med school then getting your PhD as part of a residency program. There are quite a few students doing this at Hopkins (MD, DVM, DDS) and having hung around a LOT of residents and seen the opportunities that get thrown their way, this may not be a bad option.

I have only heard a little about this, as another MD friend of mine opted to do a research fellowship in lieu of getting his PhD...and his med school loans are being repaid by the NIHs LRP. Does residency-PhD offer any loan repayment benefits?

I'll definitely be checking into these options. Thanks for the helpful post!

as far as i know, mstps are open to the possibility of deferal. however, they (like med school alone) often do not grant them to students coming off the waitlist.

Newquagmire said:
as far as i know, mstps are open to the possibility of deferal. however, they (like med school alone) often do not grant them to students coming off the waitlist.

That is definitely depressing news, since I am currently on two waitlists and awaiting word from another school. :thumbdown:

Guess I should start looking back into my application packet-time to spit shine those essays... :(

My deferral questions have been answered: none offered at one school and very unlikely for the other 2. That limits my options and begs a new question:

Does declining an MSTP offer (or an MD offer, since I have not yet received an offer from any MSTPs) reflect poorly on you if you reapply the next year? My reasons are simple: 1) to finish a research project on which I have been working for 2 years; and, if I only decline an MD offer 2) to get into the MSTP, which is what I really want.

Any information or stories would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
bluegrass_druid said:
Does declining an MSTP offer (or an MD offer, since I have not yet received an offer from any MSTPs) reflect poorly on you if you reapply the next year?

The only way to find out is to get shafted in next year's application cycle.

I hate to sound cynical, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of people across this country who would step over their own mothers to have an acceptance to an MD program. They would shoot their own beloved pets, torch their ancestral homes, and lose two fingers, three toes and a nut to be in your shoes.

In my opinion, an acceptance in the hand, however imperfect, is worth 40 in the bush. You don't necessarily need an MSTP to do academic medicine, and if you still want a PhD then you can look into sliding into a combined program from your MD program. Heck, you're into CU and you've been waitlisted on their MSTP. Looks pretty good to me.

So if I were you (and I'm obviously not), I would dump my research project, throw my MSTP waitlist letters in the trash, pack up and head off to medical school. It's not so much about giving up, but about avoiding the worst possible outcome, which is you left without an acceptance to anything this time next year. I have occasionally seen folks who try to have it all just the way they want it and end up with zilch. Most people will tell you the hardest part of medical school is getting in. You've gotten in, so claw your way out of purgatory and join the game.

thanks, havarti. I like your very direct attitude (it's really not cynical) and appreciate the post. Your advice is well-taken...it seems to follow the trend of most of the advice I have been receiving.

bluegrass_druid said:
thanks, havarti. I like your very direct attitude (it's really not cynical) and appreciate the post. Your advice is well-taken...it seems to follow the trend of most of the advice I have been receiving.

Glad to be of help. It has taken me 10 years to finish grad school them med school. I'd kill myself to have the grad school years back. Yes, you heard me...

bluegrass_druid said:
Does residency-PhD offer any loan repayment benefits?

It does for some and possibly all residency programs at the NIH. And since deferring is no longer an option, go with what you have (MD acceptance) and reapply to MD/PhD as an internal candidate. You never know what may happen!

I reapplied this year. I only got into one MSTP last year and just didn't really mess with the place at all. Reapplying may hurt you at some programs, but at others it didn't seem to hurt and i actually some interviews at "better" places where I didn't get them last year. Make sure to not apply to any place where you got in and didn't go to. I have been fairly successful...gotten into two programs, waitlisted at another and am very happy I stayed doing my research and reapplied. If you have any question feel free to PM me.

Havarti666 said:
there are hundreds, if not thousands of people across this country who would step over their own mothers to have an acceptance to an MD program. They would shoot their own beloved pets, torch their ancestral homes, and lose two fingers, three toes and a nut to be in your shoes.

Allow me to expand on this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1007

bluegrass_druid said:
Update:

I finally mustered up the courage to ask CU about their deferral policy, and, predictably, I got a semi-cryptic response. But at least it was indicated that it is possible, though convincing the committee may not be so easy. From the other boards I have gathered that it is usually not difficult to defer acceptance to an MD program, and, since I have gotten in to 2 schools, that presents another option: to defer MD enrollment while reapplying to the MD/PhD, but that certainly cuts down my options (thus killing the numbers-game).

As more info filters in, I am sure the dynamics of the decision will change in step. Nevertheless, I would really like to hear any other words of advice, anecdotal or otherwise.

I have been flirting with the idea of deferring MD acceptance to reapply as well. Keep an open mind on that one. It's risky, but you don't have the luxury of avoiding risk unless you make it off of a waitlist. You should also try to get the directors at the schools to tell you how they feel about that sort of plan.

If you want to go into research, you could do it with an MD, but going into your residency and/or postdoc with a six-figure debt is a big disadvantage. Even if you want to count on that NIH money being there for your loans by the time you're done - something that makes me nervous - you're still beholden to NIH. From what I've seen of the NIH plan, it's not all that appealing anyway. If that money isn't there, then you have to worry about where you can get a paycheck that can contend with your debt instead of worrying about deciding what you'd really love to do. The bottom line is that while your funded peers come out with a lot of flexibility, you don't, and that's a problem.

You also need to think about whether you can afford to reapply to umpteen schools next year. If you can afford it, I think reapplication is your next best option after making it off of a waitlist this year. You retain the most flexibility while being able to finish your project and do whatever else to strengthen your application. Do you really want to get so close to what you actually want and then just take the MD and call it good?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I did the PhD/MD route, so I have the worst of both worlds: 10 years to finish both degrees + 135K in debt. Woohoo!

paramus said:
If you want to go into research, you could do it with an MD, but going into your residency and/or postdoc with a six-figure debt is a big disadvantage.

Only compared to MD specialists who will finish residency and slip into lucrative jobs. Academic/research pay isn't great by comparison, but it's still six figures.

paramus said:
The bottom line is that while your funded peers come out with a lot of flexibility, you don't, and that's a problem.

Actually most of your peers would have MD's, replete with debt, just like you. And you'll be finishing your fellowship while the suckers you entered with are starting their M3 year. With my current extended repayment plan my monthy bill is just over $600. I don't particularly like it, but it's not going to keep me from researching and curing the scourge of the Bolivian Staring Worm if I want to.

Also, while it is true that an MD-only path incurs debt, it also gets one earning a paycheck years before a combined degree will. And unless you push back your retirement age, the years you lose aren't the early ones, they're the ones at the end of your career, when you will presumably be making the most.

paramus said:
Do you really want to get so close to what you actually want and then just take the MD and call it good?

Without a lot to go on, I suspect bluegrass would be an excellent internal candidate, as 1Path suggested. Hell, he'd probably have PI's falling all over themselves if he showed interest in working with them.

Havarti666 said:
Actually most of your peers would have MD's, replete with debt, just like you. And you'll be finishing your fellowship while the suckers you entered with are starting their M3 year. With my current extended repayment plan my monthy bill is just over $600. I don't particularly like it, but it's not going to keep me from researching and curing the scourge of the Bolivian Staring Worm if I want to.

Also, while it is true that an MD-only path incurs debt, it also gets one earning a paycheck years before a combined degree will. And unless you push back your retirement age, the years you lose aren't the early ones, they're the ones at the end of your career, when you will presumably be making the most.

I think there are a couple of situations that need to be considered separately. One is comparing an MD going into research with the people who started as MD/PhDs the same year. Getting out earlier certainly mitigates the effects of having all that debt, but I'm not sure it outweighs taking longer to get more training and coming out with no debt. Havarti666's opinion is based in experience, whereas mine is only a guess, but I am skeptical.

The other situation to consider is who you are job hunting with as an MD. As you are looking for that first job, you will be doing it with all that debt while the MD/PhDs who finished at the same time but started earlier won't, which would presumably affect your ability to choose the best situation for that first job as opposed to choosing the one with the biggest paycheck.

What particularly scares me about debt is that my dad, who is a JD, was into his late 40s before his law school debt was paid off. The reason it took so long is that he left private practice for a more secure, less sleazy and less demanding job in order to start a family. In other words, he took a pay cut to do what he wanted to do - like choosing research over a higher MD pay scale - and as a result that law school debt quickly multiplied itself in the form of other debts. If he had restricted himself to one or two children, stayed in private practice or maybe just been wiser with his money here and there, he might have avoided the cycle of debt he is now trapped in, but he didn't. So his point when I have this debate with him is that your margin for error shrinks when you find yourself with massive quantities of debt coming out of school, and it's easy for things to go wrong.

Ultimately, all of the above is one big moot point. These decisions have to be based on how much you really want both degrees. If you're really not into one or the other, then there's no need to go to an MSTP. If you really want both, though, there's no reason to stop short and risk the financial pitfalls of an MD, least of all if you know you'll want to go on to do the PhD eventually. It's not an easy choice. I'm not looking forward to the prospect of choosing MD/PhD at schools I'm lukewarm on over MD at schools I like or reapplication, but I know I want the PhD background, in which case it's hard go MD-only.

paramus said:
and risk the financial pitfalls of an MD

I must admit, there are a lot of bankrupt MD's out there, but that's the first time I've seen that phrase.

Alas, there is a reason to "stop short", so to speak, that being there is no guarantee that an MSTP acceptance will be forthcoming next year. As I have said before, bluegrass is likely an excellent internal candidate, so going that route vs. reapplying has the same ultimate payoff with less risk and a shorter timeframe to completion.

paramus said:
In other words, he took a pay cut to do what he wanted to do - like choosing research over a higher MD pay scale - and as a result that law school debt quickly multiplied itself in the form of other debts. If he had restricted himself to one or two children, stayed in private practice or maybe just been wiser with his money here and there, he might have avoided the cycle of debt he is now trapped in, but he didn't.

No offense, but as a woman who does a pretty good job balancing school and family responsibilities, I expect that a second income (even part-time) could alleviate a lot of financial problems down the road.

1Path said:
No offense, but as a woman who does a pretty good job balancing school and family responsibilities, I expect that a second income (even part-time) could alleviate a lot of financial problems down the road.

Maybe...My mom has worked full-time throughout, but it hasn't worked out in their case.

I'd like to thank all of you for posting your opinions on this thread. Your advice (on both sides) is well-taken, but I am still unsure of what to do. I think that I will decline an MD-only offer, regardless, as a) I really want to go for the MD/PhD, b) I don't want that extra year of debt (as per paramus' argument) and c) I would rather start school next fall ('06) than this fall, so I can use that time to finish & write up my project, hang out in nyc, and some other personal reasons.

The big question is what to do should I be offered an MD/PhD position. I would be very satisfied with the school, location, etc, but it would introduce many personal issues in addition to interfering with the completion of my project, since deferral is not an option at any of the schools. Without going into all of the details it would be impossible to illustrate the dilemma with any justice, but I don't think anyone here really wants to know that much about me. I appreciate all of the advice, and if anyone has any other insight, please post, I'd be grateful for your help.

thanks.

You must have one helluva personal dilemma. I think you're insane for even postponing this opportunity, but my opinion is based on a very limited palette of information. Getting and MD or MD/PhD requires a lot of sacrifice, but if you're unable or unwilling at this point then my only advice is this: apply to a lot more schools next year.

havarti666-

Initially I was very concerned and nervous that declining and reapplying would seriously handicap my application next year. Several professors, doctors, and advisors have quelled these worries. To be honest, I was very disappointed in the responses to my application this year (only 3 interviews, and all at my "safety" schools; MSTP waitlisted at all of them; inability to defer), and I have been given reason to believe that I may be more successful next year (earlier application, new publications, re-applicant, more experience, etc.). The other reasons, briefly stated, include girlfriend, family, travel, money, logistics, and mental preparation. That said, the reason this has become such a dilemma is that OHSU is (nearly) perfect for me. The location and school are amazing, and it kills me to think that I may have to give that up (should they offer me an MSTP position). Conversely, it kills me to have to give up the other side as well.

I have no idea what I am going to do - either way entails a lot of sacrifice for the respective gains. Thus, it is all a matter of priority and perspective...and that's why I am so thankful for everyone's advice-it helps corral and focus my perspective. We'll see what happens...

bluegrass_druid said:
The other reasons, briefly stated, include girlfriend, family, travel, money, logistics, and mental preparation.

IMHO, mental preparation is enough of a reason to delay matriculation having experienced this as part of why I didn't apply last year. Better to apply next year and matriculate when you're "ready" than to matriculate this year when you're not and risk doing poorly and flunking out.

My opinion is that you can't make a "bad" decision here as long as you follow what you know to be true for you and your circumstances.

bluegrass_druid said:
I have no idea what I am going to do - either way entails a lot of sacrifice for the respective gains. Thus, it is all a matter of priority and perspective...and that's why I am so thankful for everyone's advice-it helps corral and focus my perspective. We'll see what happens...

It's impossible for me to accurately second guess your decision. Just remember, though, if you have to eat a **** sandwich, don't leave it out in the sun and don't take small bites.

bluegrass_druid said:
(I have been given reason to believe that I may be more successful next year (earlier application, new publications, re-applicant, more experience, etc.). The other reasons, briefly stated, include girlfriend, family, travel, money, logistics, and mental preparation

Don't worry about getting off the waitlist until it happens. For now, I would assume the worst, and make a choice on what you're going to do with where you stand now. Frankly, unless you've been absolutely stellar in your research this year while you've been applying or have the magical ability to change your race or sex or where you grew up or what family you grew up with, I think the earlier application is going to help you most (I'm assuming you applied on the very last day rather than say June 20th). Yes, more experience will help you prepare to be interview savvy, etc., but in reality, I think a lot of it is going to come down to what is written in your (updated) LORs and how you present yourself as a re-applicant who turned down an MD offer. I agree that mental preparation is very important for taking on the program. I also believe most MSTP admissions offices know they have to give at least a little leeway for us being uncertain about what the future holds and what we really want out of life. But not very much. Your goal is to convince them that you are the best thing since sliced bread and that they have to have you there. Make sure another year is going to help you do that before you decline anything.

Newquagmire said:
Your goal is to convince them that you are the best thing since sliced bread and that they have to have you there. Make sure another year is going to help you do that before you decline anything.

This is good advice...and one of 2 things that makes reapplication tough (the other being that OHSU is one of my top schools). I became acutely aware of this last weekend, and have been working overtime to ensure that this year WILL really help my application--multiple new publications, new LOR's, better essays. I think that this added to early application should significantly improve my chances...though I'm not holding my breath to be offered a spot at OHSU ;)

We'll see. I need to get IN first.