Air Force Deferment question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerbabe7582

Medical student scut
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I know someone has probably asked this, but within the AF, what are the chances of getting deferred if you put it on your residency application? I don't mind going either military or deferred but I want to know whether or not I should even really spend the time considering civilian residencies as well.

I am interested in peds/internal med (to go into peds oncology), general surgery, or emergency medicine. If I end up choosing peds/internal med for my 1st choice specialty, then I would probably want to go civilian I would think.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay I know someone has probably asked this, but within the AF, what are the chances of getting deferred if you put it on your residency application? I don't mind going either military or deferred but I want to know whether or not I should even really spend the time considering civilian residencies as well.

I am interested in peds/internal med (to go into peds oncology), general surgery, or emergency medicine. If I end up choosing peds/internal med for my 1st choice specialty, then I would probably want to go civilian I would think.

Thanks in advance for any input.
If youre saying peds/IM mean in the dual residency then youre out of luck because its not an option in the AF, or in any branch I believe. If youre saying either Peds or IM then never mind.

The question really cant be answered anyway as the numbers change from year to year and varies within each specialty. Sometimes people who want deferments get them and sometimes those who want them dont.

What year are you?

It depends on specialty and year group. If peds or IM has trouble filling their spots, you will be drafted into an AD residency. Some specialties will let you defer if you score high and you want to defer if their spots are filled. Some specialties want to defer the lower scoring applicants because they, understandably, want the best for their own programs. Sometimes it comes down to how the board is run that year.

As civilian residency spots get tighter, it will be interesting if the Air Force ever has an HPSP orphan- one who gets deferred but then can't find any internship. I wonder if they would make you a file clerk somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
If youre saying peds/IM mean in the dual residency then youre out of luck because its not an option in the AF, or in any branch I believe. If youre saying either Peds or IM then never mind.

The question really cant be answered anyway as the numbers change from year to year and varies within each specialty. Sometimes people who want deferments get them and sometimes those who want them dont.

What year are you?

I am finishing up my 2nd and licensing exams.

I guess I thought that if you got a deferment for EITHER peds or IM, that you could apply for a dual IM/PEDS residency if you ended up in the civilian match. I can't imagine that going into a dual program would be a bad thing. If you get a PEDS deferment, you are still going into an peds residency, and getting adequate, if not more training than the average peds doc with a dual residency. Maybe I am assuming? I just want to get the proper information well in advance so that I can plan accordingly for 2nd semester of 3rd year. Our school gives us all but one month for selective and elective rotations. I would like to plan on rotating in places that I would be interested in/or doing auditions at.

In regards to Kilgoretrout- I actually know of someone who got a anesthesia deferment and then did not match. He ended up going into an internship for the year. Though to not match and not get a spot in either scramble in anesthesia seems kinda weird in the first place...

If you are deferred for peds, then they will expect a BE/BC pediatrician in 3 years. Aren't med/peds programs 4 years?

Yes I believe so. However, I think that you are allowed to take the extra year as if you were doing a fellowship/internship, if my memory serves me correctly. I believe you still owe some time extra if you take more than 4 years in a deferred residency. If anyone has clarification on the topic, please chime in.

Yes I believe so. However, I think that you are allowed to take the extra year as if you were doing a fellowship/internship, if my memory serves me correctly. I believe you still owe some time extra if you take more than 4 years in a deferred residency. If anyone has clarification on the topic, please chime in.

I don't exactly consider myself the subject matter expert on this, but I'm extremely skeptical of what you've described. I know of one AF individual who was deferred for general surgery residency, but was only permitted to do the 5-year program, even though the civilian residency's norm was to do 6 with a year of research. And that was at least for the specialty for which he was deferred. I would think the AF would be even less understanding if someone were to try to pull a fast one on them by informing them of an extra year of GME because you entered an unapproved residency.

I would imagine they would find a Flight Surgeon spot fairly quickly.

http://www.afms.af.mil/physicianeducationbranch/
Yes I believe so. However, I think that you are allowed to take the extra year as if you were doing a fellowship/internship, if my memory serves me correctly. I believe you still owe extra if you take more than 4 years in a deferred residency. If anyone has clarification on the topic, please chime in.

I'm almost certain this isn't the case. If deferred you are deferred for the length the residency you were granted a deferment for as listed in the HPERB, so 36 months for Peds or IM. For a definitive answer i would send an email to someone at the above website.

You can take an extra year if you fail the year not because you want med/peds (which is 5 years anyway). Why anyone who plans to do a sub would choose to add 2 years to residency is beyond me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can take an extra year if you fail the year not because you want med/peds (which is 5 years anyway). Why anyone who plans to do a sub would choose to add 2 years to residency is beyond me anyway.

Is that by convention, or is it actually written into a regulation? In my experience, giving out extra years at a military residency for failure is pretty rare (as compared to just being kicked out) and not something considered lightly. It seems like it would be the same for those in civilian deferment, or perhaps even tougher since there is less of a concern to save face by "coaching up" an underperforming resident.

I bet that this is in the relevant instructions but it's really no different than in med school. if the program thinks they can remediate with extra time, they are given license to do so. I saw it on several occasions although only one with an acceptable outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the above website in July and look up the HPERB (I think that's the term). It will tell you how many deferred slots there are in each specialty. And no, you cannot do a dual residency---in the military or outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the above website in July and look up the HPERB (I think that's the term). It will tell you how many deferred slots there are in each specialty. And no, you cannot D.O. a dual residency---in the military or outside.

okay, thank you everyone for you help! Sounds like I can prob plan on just choosing which one I would prefer to go into. I will be going to the AMOPS convention and May and prob ask then more about this to the directors too. If I hear anything differently, I will post here.

okay, thank you everyone for you help! Sounds like I can prob plan on just choosing which one I would prefer to go into. I will be going to the AMOPS convention and May and prob ask then more about this to the directors too. If I hear anything differently, I will post here.
I wouldn't expect to see many (or any) program directors at AMOPS. I went a few years ago when it was at my school and there weren't many residency programs represented by faculty and there weren't any PDs.

I didn't go last year but id suspect less Active Duty go with the CME cuts.

I wouldn't expect to see many (or any) program directors at AMOPS. I went a few years ago when it was at my school and there weren't many residency programs represented by faculty and there weren't any PDs.

I didn't go last year but id suspect less Active Duty go with the CME cuts.

Oh really? So you wouldn't suggest going? You weren't able to get any connections?

Oh really? So you wouldn't suggest going? You weren't able to get any connections
From residencies, Not at all. I met a bunch of Colonels, retired and active, and a General who really pushed flight med and other operational things. I only went the one year my school hosted it but it seemed like the group was consistent from years past.

Last edited:
Go to the above website in July and look up the HPERB (I think that's the term). It will tell you how many deferred slots there are in each specialty. And no, you cannot do a dual residency---in the military or outside.

So I'm looking at Peds AF and see there are 9 deferment spots. Do all other locations (bethesda, dayton, SA, norfolk) need to be filled before they will grant civilian deferment?

What factors play into deferment selection? Say a HPSP student was getting married/ married to another med student who was civilian and you wanted to match with them, will that factor into their decision in approving deferment?

Say a HPSP student was getting married/ married to another med student who was civilian and you wanted to match with them, will that factor into their decision in approving deferment?

Probably not, but it won't hurt to at least mention it. In general the military doesn't care what the spouse situation is unless the spouse is also in the military.

If your spouse is in the AF and is granted a deferment though, would they be able to do an official couples match with their spouse?

So I'm looking at Peds AF and see there are 9 deferment spots. Do all other locations (bethesda, dayton, SA, norfolk) need to be filled before they will grant civilian deferment?

What factors play into deferment selection? Say a HPSP student was getting married/ married to another med student who was civilian and you wanted to match with them, will that factor into their decision in approving deferment?
Yes I think a military program would want to fill before they let someone defer. Especially specialties like peds, Ob-gyn, surgery etc with robust on call duties etc.
The civilian spouse might have a small role in that if they are going to defer someone they might pick you first because of your spouse.

When you look at the HPERB results (and I haven't bothered) make sure it doesn't say "AU" because these are approved unfunded spots which are essentially a wish list of slots to fill if there is left over money and depending on the general at the board those spots might go to their pet programs or those who lobby hardest or those with logical war time need. Peds is at the low end of war time need despite the humanitarian crisis that accompanies every war.

I would try to schedule civilian interviews for late december and then if you are drafted just cancel them.

As the above responses note, all military spots would need to fill first but in years past AF Peds applications have outnumbered the available spots by at least a few. Spots were actually somewhat competitive a couple years. I'd always been told that the best applicants are typically selected for the military programs first. Special/family circumstances should be discussed in your personal statement and in face-to-face discussions on rotations & interviews. If you want to be deferred then say so, but in the nicest way possible. Its good to be liked by the people making decisions. Good luck.