degree and loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questionFUr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*I posted this in the other forum but it belongs in here, so maybe it can get moved...

I need help with a decision.

If i got into a DO school with a tuition of 10k and an MD school with a tuition of 30k, if location and education are equal in my satisfaction....what should I go for?

As far as the degree, I don't care. However, I'm not sure if I want to be a primary care doc or if I want to specialize.

One doctor told me to go to the MD because the 200k loan is insignificant to the amount of money I will be making in the future even as an FP....for some reason I'm finding this hard to believe.

Any thoughts?

(I don't want to start a flame war, I just want to get some thoughts on making this decision).

Members don't see this ad.

qu:

I was sort of on the opposite side of the decision: MD school @15k or DO school @ 30K. I chose the DO route and didn't show up for my MD interview because I'm set on going into primary care, and the DO school I chose was the one that was going to prepare me best for that.

You certainly can specialize as a DO, but there's no doubt it's an uphill climb for certain specialties. If you want to go into something like, say, general surgery, DO shouldn't present any obstacles at all.

Moreover, with the money you'd save doing DO, you'd have the luxury of specializing further if you so chose--you could do that extra fellowship in Subspecialty X without worrying about how you were going to pay back the $200K in loans.