Degree in China through Beth Healthcare LLC and China Medical University ( CMU )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothiemonster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone spoken to their prehealth advisors about this "degree in china" program through Beth Healthcare LLC in irvine, CA. They are also supposed to be working with New York Medical College and China Medical University.

Yes, they have been working on this program for a while, but I still do not think that a program in China will teach the students enough to pass all 3 parts of the USMLE.

Even if you do pass, will the student actually be able to get a good residency, and eventually be hired by someone?

Also, opinions about this program are welcome. I couldn't find a good thread about this program.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone spoken to their prehealth advisors about this "degree in china" program through Beth Healthcare LLC in irvine, CA. They are also supposed to be working with New York Medical College and China Medical University.

Yes, they have been working on this program for a while, but I still do not think that a program in China will teach the students enough to pass all 3 parts of the USMLE.

Even if you do pass, will the student actually be able to get a good residency, and eventually be hired by someone?

Also, opinions about this program are welcome. I couldn't find a good thread about this program.

My brother-in law is involved in this type of program. He truly enjoys it and has "told" me he "once" took a practice Step 2 USMLE and did awesome. Their training is pretty strict though...since they start their students usually right out of junior high. Because of this he had some catching up to do. His training was supposed to be in English but the school reneged on their promise so he had to learn Chinese :laugh:. Overall he says the experience is terrific but not for the faint of heart due to the cultural differences and the level of training. I know some US residents who make claims of abuse but after telling them a few stories I heard they were scared straight. I say this not to say that China is better but only to provide you with some of the impressions from those who are in it. I guess in the end its just up to what you are interested in; a new experience or the traditional path of medicine. Overall though he says that the two systems are very much different and having to transfer over to the US would be hectic. The living expense in china though is bar-none. Just my take.

My brother-in law is involved in this type of program. He truly enjoys it and has "told" me he "once" took a practice Step 2 USMLE and did awesome. Their training is pretty strict though...since they start their students usually right out of junior high. Because of this he had some catching up to do. His training was supposed to be in English but the school reneged on their promise so he had to learn Chinese :laugh:. Overall he says the experience is terrific but not for the faint of heart due to the cultural differences and the level of training. I know some US residents who make claims of abuse but after telling them a few stories I heard they were scared straight. I say this not to say that China is better but only to provide you with some of the impressions from those who are in it. I guess in the end its just up to what you are interested in; a new experience or the traditional path of medicine. Overall though he says that the two systems are very much different and having to transfer over to the US would be hectic. The living expense in china though is bar-none. Just my take.

Thanks for the info. They said that this program is 30 US students going to China to learn in english. They will also teach them chinese too. So i'm pretty sure these US students will all be college graduates or had some form of college.
Has your brother in law passed the 3 step USMLE? Or has he decided to stay in china?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. They said that this program is 30 US students going to China to learn in english. They will also teach them chinese too. So i'm pretty sure these US students will all be college graduates or had some form of college.
Has your brother in law passed the 3 step USMLE? Or has he decided to stay in china?

I've heard about this program and it is 30 students who are supposed to go to China, but CMU's English program is not recognized by the California Medical Board nor by the New York Medical Board. Also, if they are still not recognized by the NYMB by the time you finish the 4 years at China Medical University, you wont be able to enroll your 5th year at New York Medical College to complete the internship. This means that you wont be able to get your medical degree, which would be administered after you complete your 5th year at NYMC.

I don't know if they have actually applied to be recognized by California and New York yet. Even though China Medical University is recognized by the CMB it states that

"Warning: Some recognized medical schools that teach in their native language are opening English language medical school programs. The English language programs are not recognized unless specifically stated, e.g., "University of Pecs Faculty Medicine" and "Pecs University Medical School English Program (6-year English Program)." The English language programs must apply for recognition and receive approval from the Medical Board of California for the education received from the English language program to be eligible to qualify an applicant for licensure requirements in California."

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

It seems kind of risky to go away for that long and not be sure that you'll be able to practice in California or New York. The program seems like a nice concept, but going to a Caribbean school is shorter and they have internship programs that allow you to do the same thing doing less time outside of the U.S.

Also, if they are still not recognized by the NYMB by the time you finish the 4 years at China Medical University, you wont be able to enroll your 5th year at New York Medical College to complete the internship.

Are you sure about that? Where are you getting this information? Doing rotations in an institution shouldn't/isn't contingent on whether the school is recognized by the state's board (for licensing purposes). They're just rotations.

Also, CMB is instituting separate board recognition for English based programs of well-established schools (like CMU), but does the New York board do the same?

Has anyone been accepted to this school yet this year? If so, how are you dealing with the tuition? they asked for it so soon after acceptance! I'm trying to work with my bank for options on payment. The bank gave me fits for randomnly asking to withdraw 17500!

I've heard about this program and it is 30 students who are supposed to go to China, but CMU's English program is not recognized by the California Medical Board nor by the New York Medical Board. Also, if they are still not recognized by the NYMB by the time you finish the 4 years at China Medical University, you wont be able to enroll your 5th year at New York Medical College to complete the internship. This means that you wont be able to get your medical degree, which would be administered after you complete your 5th year at NYMC.

I don't know if they have actually applied to be recognized by California and New York yet. Even though China Medical University is recognized by the CMB it states that

"Warning: Some recognized medical schools that teach in their native language are opening English language medical school programs. The English language programs are not recognized unless specifically stated, e.g., "University of Pecs Faculty Medicine" and "Pecs University Medical School English Program (6-year English Program)." The English language programs must apply for recognition and receive approval from the Medical Board of California for the education received from the English language program to be eligible to qualify an applicant for licensure requirements in California."

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

It seems kind of risky to go away for that long and not be sure that you'll be able to practice in California or New York. The program seems like a nice concept, but going to a Caribbean school is shorter and they have internship programs that allow you to do the same thing doing less time outside of the U.S.

It is understood that none of English programs at medicalschools in China got recognized in California or New York simply because they haven’t applied yet. But that doesn’t mean they can NOT be approved. Based on the fact that those medical schools without hospitals nor advanced research lab could have gotten approved, there is no reason why they can’t be recognized once they apply.

I'm an actual student at the university, but not affiliated with Beth healthcare. I joined this forum to give some clarification so that others are given truthful information to make better decisions. I'm also friends with the majority of the 2 US batches (Beth healthcare)

For classes wise, if ur basing it purely on CMU classes, there's no way you will be able to write USMLE / ? CMCQEE and pass. It's physically impossible - the education standards are just too far off. However, I'm part of the 'support' group in CMU. I'm following our seniors footsteps prepping for the USMLE and intend to write it feb 2013. Doing well for the USMLE is possible here, as my seniors have gotten 260's, 240's. Some have written step 2 with 240's.

My brother-in law is involved in this type of program. He truly enjoys it and has "told" me he "once" took a practice Step 2 USMLE and did awesome. Their training is pretty strict though...since they start their students usually right out of junior high. Because of this he had some catching up to do. His training was supposed to be in English but the school reneged on their promise so he had to learn Chinese :laugh:. Overall he says the experience is terrific but not for the faint of heart due to the cultural differences ... ... ..l

Uhhh... I see no truth in this statement, as I have yet to witness this myself. Although, if I can say something, he was right in that it is not for the faint of heart. For all of us who are prepping for the steps and for those that have written it here, we all self taught ourselves medicine. Seriously, you have to be very self disciplined because no one is going to hold your hand here.

Yes, they learn in english, with a Chinese class to help you transition here, sorta. As of right now, there are only 21 students, split over 2 classes.

I've heard about this program and it is 30 students who are supposed to go to China, but CMU's English program is not recognized by the California Medical Board nor by the New York Medical Board. Also, if they are still not recognized by the NYMB by the time you finish the 4 years at China Medical University, you wont be able to enroll your 5th year at New York Medical College to complete the internship. This means that you wont be able to get your medical degree, which would be administered after you complete your 5th year ...

It is, and you are completely right. They are not board approved yet. There are some students who intend to go home will look into this problem in a few months.

Has anyone been accepted to this school yet this year? If so, how are you dealing with the tuition? they asked for it so soon after acceptance! ...

Wrong question. It's a communist country. They're all about corruption and money, so essentially, they'll accept anyone. Literally. But that's not all that different from the carribeans either, as they'll accept anyone too. The way we look at it, the ones who are serious about it at least, it's a cheaper alternative to med school at home and the most important thing is to graduate and go home

Last edited:
I am from China, and I known " China Medical University" is not even a top medical school in China. My first sense about this program is ---another form of Caribbean Medical school. China has some good med-schools, but this one is definitely on the list. Be carful

CMU is an A list med school in china. There's a lot of Chinese med schools that are named 'china medical university', the majority being B or C list schools. This one is in shenyang, liaoning, shenyang沈阳, 辽宁, to my knowledge, the only A list school in north east china, next to Beijing. I think there's only 12-15 A ranked schools in china. with that said, the education standards can't match US standards, as for carribean schools, I'm sure their English and classes are probably better

I hope some people get to read this.

DO NOT JOIN THIS PROGRAM.

I have close ties with current students in their "program."
She regrets joining their program intensely.
Waste of time and money.
Absolutely nothing to show for it.
The "president" of Beth Healthcare, James Hu, is shady and a liar.
Do not fall for this program.
Run as far away from this SCAM as you possibly can.
You have been warned.

DO NOT JOIN THIS PROGRAM.

Can you clarify why you call this program a scam?

Thanks

I'm currently a student of this program and I can say for a fact that it isn't as bad as what some of you make it out to be. Sure there's a few kinks that need to be worked out, but overall the medical school experience is what you make of it. At the end of the day, no matter where you are you still need to put in the study hours on a weekly basis to do well and build a strong basic sciences foundation to take on the step 1. Our class has spoken with NYMC on multiple occasions and the overall gist of it was that they did not see any reason why the program wouldn't be approved by the NY education board. As of now, it is currently being worked on and it's taking time since there's 3 parties involved but I'm pretty confident it will be done far in advance of our start date at NYMC. Just my .02

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from China, and I known " China Medical University" is not even a top medical school in China. My first sense about this program is ---another form of Caribbean Medical school. China has some good med-schools, but this one is definitely on the list. Be carful
If you are from China, you should be able to check it out with the Ministry of Health to find out whether China Medical University (CMU) located in the city of Shenyang of Liaoning Provice is one of top-10 medical schools in China or not. CMU has 4 own teaching hospitals with over 8,000 beds and 12 advacned research lab whereas none of those medical schools in the Carribean Sea has such facilities. So you better double check before you put the info. on the forum.

Sounds legit....

Are you sure about that? Where are you getting this information? Doing rotations in an institution shouldn't/isn't contingent on whether the school is recognized by the state's board (for licensing purposes). They're just rotations.

Also, CMB is instituting separate board recognition for English based programs of well-established schools (like CMU), but does the New York board do the same?

Currently, only students of 14 international medical schools are allowed to do more than 12 weeks of rotations in New York.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/GME/documents/12_week_rule_and_additional_information.pdf
http://www.mssm.edu/static_files/Te...l/electives/pdf/nys_letter_of_eligibility.pdf
http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/med/part60.htm

The NYMC website does not currently list CMU as one of the international medical schools it will accept exchange students from.

http://www.nymc.edu/studentservices/InternationalStudentInformation.html

OP, I'd wait until the program gets New York approval and a formal exchange agreement with NYMC.

I am one of admissions officers for the American class at China Medical University (CMU) and would like to shed light on the message posted on this forum by someone named as member No. 448551 on January 30th, 2012.
CMU is one of the top 10 medical schools in China with 80 year history. (details available on our web at www.cmu.edu.cn) We in partnering with Beth Healthcare LLC in Irvine CA created the “Degree in China program” in 2010 to recruit baccalaureate students in the U.S. to pursue the 4 year study with dual major in “Medical Science and Clinical Pharmacy” plus an additional year of clinical training at New York Medical College (NYMC) for the 5th year to gain the U.S. clinical experience.
Students must maintain an grade of 60 or higher under the Chinese grading system for studies at our school but are required to reach the average grade of 75 or above in order to qualify for clinical training at NYMC. The person known as member No. 448551 was admitted to the “Degree in China program” in 2010, but failed to maintain the minimum passing grade of 60 for two consecutive semesters. As a result, he was placed under academic probation. Another student he referred to has withdrawn from the program before she was about to be discharged by our school.
Now this student alleged the “Degree in China program” is a “scam” and maliciously accused one of its management staff as a “liar”. Clearly he attempted to blame the program because of his own failure without chances to enter the clinical training at NYMC and tried to ask other people NOT to join the program while he himself is in the program. Most of students in our American class have attained the academic accomplishment above 80’s since the first semester in 2010. I have no hesitation to provide any additional information to anyone who has questions or concerns about the program.
Hi cmuStaff, Can you please give me your email address I am really interested in the program and I would like to contact you for additional information.
Or email me [email protected]
Thank you

Edited

At the end of the day, no matter where you are you still need to put in the study hours on a weekly basis to do well and build a strong basic sciences foundation to take on the step 1. Our class has spoken with NYMC on multiple occasions and the overall gist of it was that they did not see any reason why the program wouldn't be approved by the NY education board. As of now, it is currently being worked on and it's taking time since there's 3 parties involved but I'm pretty confident it will be done far in advance of our start date at NYMC. Just my .02

That's true, med school is what you make of it regardless of where you are. However, I think he missed the point that you can do internship practically anywhere, but without approval, you cannot go back and do your residency and ultimately work in 'that' state (so essentially, no residency, no work - which I assume, would be the ultimate goal of anyone studying med school overseas).

The international batch (not affiliated with Beth healthcare) is currently in this problem; where we do not have approval from some states restricting us where we can go back and do our residency and ultimately get hired.

If you are from China, you should be able to check it out with the Ministry of Health to find out whether China Medical University (CMU) located in the city of Shenyang of Liaoning Provice is one of top-10 medical schools in China or not. CMU has 4 own teaching hospitals with over 8,000 beds and 12 advacned research lab whereas none of those medical schools in the Carribean Sea has such facilities. So you better double check before you put the info. on the forum.

That's very true. However, the number of facilities accessible by students is not disclosed (and if you saw them, you would be... Surpised [to put it lightly]). The majority of their 'advanced' facilities are for the hospitals' own research/payroll staff, allowing no student access. The actual student accessible areas are ... As old as the school itself (you should look it up). However, by shear numbers, CMU does trump the carribeans -> by a whopping 1.2 billion.

Last edited:
Edited June 6, 2012 23:17

Recently, I had written some posts and now have taken them down (Edit June 7, 2012 17:36) For clarification, the posts were taken down after I had come to an agreement with the author of a post that I found offensive.

Whichever route you take for medicine, I wish you all (prospective students) the best.

If you happen to come here to CMU via Beth healthcare or not, a few others and I have set up a support group and system, students helping students, to help pass the USMLE steps 1&2 with amazing scores (it's a work in progress, passed down from those who have taken the steps and tweaked as the years go by). Another words, whether you're screwed or not, we'll try to help you make the best of it.

Last edited:
With those two quotes in mind,
First: the president of Beth Healthcare - I can't confirm nor deny that he is shady or a liar (don't know who he is, never talked to him, never met him or anyone affiliated with Beth Healthcare's staff). However, based on the quote below from their own student, the evidence surely isn't in their favor.

If the students had actually talked to the medical board, or any medical board, they would already know that the paper work for the school/program's state approval needs to be started when the students first enter the program (at the very least). Therefore, saying:

"our class has spoken with the NYMC on multiple occasions and the overall gist of it was that they did not see any reason why the program wouldn't be approved by the NY education board ... It is currently being worked on"

Means that they're not getting their information from the proper sources. They should:
A) confirm with NYMC medical board that Beth Healthcare's application for approval (and also CMU's) was actually sent in.
B) also know that CMU for California state approval is invalid for any English program, as well, CMU's approximate date for application to California is when their new campus is 'built' (they've been telling us they're going to move for the last 3 years). However, the new campus will be operational in 2014, tentatively (that's what they told me).
C) therefore, realistically, the student of this program should already know that the paperwork isn't put in place, as CMU hasn't put out any applications yet (not until the new campus), meaning Beth Healthcare's application is also void. Had the students actually talk to the board they would have already known this, therefore, logically, they had asked their coordinators from Beth healthcare and that was what they told them.

That's true, med school is what you make of it regardless of where you are. However, I think he missed the point that you can do internship practically anywhere, but without approval, you cannot go back and do your residency and ultimately work in 'that' state (so essentially, no residency, no work - which I assume, would be the ultimate goal of anyone studying med school overseas).

The international batch (not affiliated with Beth healthcare) is currently in this problem; where we do not have approval from some states restricting us where we can go back and do our residency and ultimately get hired.

That's very true. However, the number of facilities accessible by students is not disclosed (and if you saw them, you would be... Surpised [to put it lightly]). The majority of their 'advanced' facilities are for the hospitals' own research/payroll staff, allowing no student access. The actual student accessible areas are ... As old as the school itself (you should look it up). However, by shear numbers, CMU does trump the carribeans -> by a whopping 1.2 billion.

Thank you for the information.

With those two quotes in mind,
First: the president of Beth Healthcare - I can't confirm nor deny that he is shady or a liar (don't know who he is, never talked to him, never met him or anyone affiliated with Beth Healthcare's staff). However, based on the quote below from their own student, the evidence surely isn't in their favor.

If the students had actually talked to the medical board, or any medical board, they would already know that the paper work for the school/program's state approval needs to be started when the students first enter the program (at the very least). Therefore, saying:

"our class has spoken with the NYMC on multiple occasions and the overall gist of it was that they did not see any reason why the program wouldn't be approved by the NY education board ... It is currently being worked on"

Means that they're not getting their information from the proper sources. They should:
A) confirm with NYMC medical board that Beth Healthcare's application for approval (and also CMU's) was actually sent in.
B) also know that CMU for California state approval is invalid for any English program, as well, CMU's approximate date for application to California is when their new campus is 'built' (they've been telling us they're going to move for the last 3 years). However, the new campus will be operational in 2014, tentatively (that's what they told me).
C) therefore, realistically, the student of this program should already know that the paperwork isn't put in place, as CMU hasn't put out any applications yet (not until the new campus), meaning Beth Healthcare's application is also void. Had the students actually talk to the board they would have already known this, therefore, logically, they had asked their coordinators from Beth healthcare and that was what they told them.

THIS IS A FAKE POST from someone CLAIMING to be from CMU's admission staff. Let me first disprove it:
1) CMU has no "admissions officers for the American class". There is only one department, which is the international department, that manages all foreign students, REGARDLESS of their nationality. Meaning, this is Beth Healthcare posting (they are the only program that designates an 'American class'. In fact, there are lots of Americans here in the international program, but never have we been called an 'American class', that is Beth Healthcare's designation.

2) if this was CMU, then " The person known as member No. 448551 was admitted to the “Degree in China program” in 2010, but failed to maintain the minimum passing grade of 60 for two consecutive semesters. As a result, he was placed under academic probation "

Is INCORRECT according to the student agreement with the school in terms of the clauses for academic probation.

3) "Now this student alleged the “Degree in China program” is a “scam” and maliciously accused one of its management staff as a “liar” ".

This allegation refers to the president of Beth Healthcare as a liar, whom has no affiliation (since he is not CMU staff, it's a separate entity) to CMU. The fact that the OP states "accused one of its management staff" logically ties this poster as Beth Healthcare posing as CMU staff (because once again, Beth Healthcare is a separate entity. The president of Beth Healthcare is not on CMU staff, therefore not CMU's management staff). Think about, if he was, why would he recruit students under the guise of Beth Healthcare versus CMU other than to take a cut of tuition for his own profiteering?

--personally, taking a neutral stance, THIS IS A GROTESQUE EXAMPLE OF BETH HEALTHCARE'S POLITICS in regards to transparency. If its one thing I can't stand, it's misinforming people with wrong facts, and now impersonating other institutions to further their own goals. I hope others see what you just did right here.

Thank you for the information.

As far as I know Beth is still working hard to get the accreditation squared away. However, they cannot guarantee a success. In the meantime, students are still being accepted at their own risk of not being able to return to the U.S. to start residency. Therefore, many potential applicants have shied away and are looking for medical school elsewhere.

Kind of dilema. The CMU shows "North America Class" in their website. But, actually it is operated by Beth. Beth keeps showing some communication documents between NYMC and them. So, I have no ideas to make a decision of application or not

Before joining the program for the 2012 class at China Medical University, I contacted New York Medical College and confirmed that they have a written agreement in place to provide a one-year clinical training for the 5th year to U.S. students who complete the 4-year study at China Medical University.

Before joining the program for the 2012 class at China Medical University, I contacted New York Medical College and confirmed that they have a written agreement in place to provide a one-year clinical training for the 5th year to U.S. students who complete the 4-year study at China Medical University.

As a prospective student I did some research myself. The written agreement is in place but it is contingent on accreditation by the Medical Board of NY. Accreditation may be the sticking point since Beth will not submit the application until the new campus is built which may or may not happen. Current students may be left in limbo if this doesn't happen on time for their 5th year rotation at NYMC.

Should be okay though time is quite limited. International Education School of CMU will move to new campus next year, according to their staffs. Let's await and see.

Should be okay though time is quite limited. International Education School of CMU will move to new campus next year, according to their staffs. Let's await and see.

Let's wait and see is not good enough if you have to risk $17 k and precious time. As mentioned above, students are risking being left in the cold if accreditation is delayed or not granted. Also, if enrollment of new students remains low Beth may not be able to pull through financially. At this point I have decided to apply elsewhere.

I recently learned from a reliable source that some students from last year's class have left the program and are looking to transfer to different programs. Detailed information is difficult to come by. In the meantime, Beth Healthcare is continuing to recruit new students despite the fact that they can not guarantee accreditation.

Update: After speaking to Beth Healthcare I learned that they are planning to submit their application to become accredited in CA and NY. However, this process takes at least 2 years if things go smoothly. Assuming that they will start this process sometime in 2013 in the best case scenario accreditation will not be granted until 2015. The first class is supposed to start their clinical year in 2014 and they will therefore not be able to start their clinical rotation without a one year wait. In the worst case scenario none of the students will be able to graduate. This will result in a devastating loss of 4 precious years and over $100 k (tuition and living expenses).

Last edited:
I am posting this to warn everybody who is considering this program to stay away and look elsewhere.
These are the reasons their president Mr. Hu doesn't want you to know:
1) Beth will not be able to get accreditation in New York or CA in time to allow the current students to start their 5th year.
2) Without accreditation the students will not be able to get student loans. In fact, Beth has promised for over 2 years that students will be approved for loans "soon".
3) About 10 students of the 2011 class have left the program and returned to the US to enroll into other schools because of the uncertain future. The remaining students were told to join the international program at CMU. Their future is very bleak as they will not be able to match in a residency program in the US.
4) With the residency crunch IMG's will have very little chance to match in the US.

I sincerely hope that nobody will fall into this trap.