Degree mill like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoKoOnaJo

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
So I heard on good authority that any school with more then 2 campuses is a degree mills.

What school is the most degree-milliest

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I've heard Mayo Clinic is pretty degree-milliest. They have a campus in Minnesota and regional campuses in Arizona and Florida.

Lol, I have heard some schools being compared to McDonalds, but I feel like you have to be doing at least a decent job if you are opening multiple campuses.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
From what I have heard from students and doctors, LECOM is a literal doctor factory
The interview process isn't even personal
Branch campuses you barely interact with your professors

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have heard from students and doctors, LECOM is a literal doctor factory
The interview process isn't even personal
Branch campuses you barely interact with your professors
Current OMS2 at Seton Hill campus. Interview process was somewhat impersonal but once a student you get a lot of time with faculty. PBL curriculum gets you 2 hours of face time 3 days a week in small groups with a faculty facilitator. Also, H&P and OPP courses twice a week get you significant time with faculty to learn hands on portion of curriculum.

Lots of LECOM haters on SDN but I have been pleased with my education thus far.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard Mayo Clinic is pretty degree-milliest. They have a campus in Minnesota and regional campuses in Arizona and Florida.

Lol, I have heard some schools being compared to McDonalds, but I feel like you have to be doing at least a decent job if you are opening multiple campuses.
The noise I just made was not normal hahahahaha

Not sure if this is a troll post, but here goes. OP, I don't think that >2 campuses necessarily equals "degree mill." In these post-Flexner report times (granted there's a whole pandora's box that I won't go into with that), I don't think it would be safe to call any medical school a degree mill. I have been told that LCME and COCA have high standards, and failure to meet those standards can have serious repercussions. For example, a school can hand out degrees like candy, but if its attrition rates are sky-high or students aren't passing the boards, that school isn't going to last long.

A similar, but better metric for choosing a medical school would be to look at the ratio of resources to students. Are students struggling to get clinical rotations that they want/need? Is the quality of these rotations consistent or highly variable? What does the match rate (not necessarily the placement rate) look like? Do students seem happy and like they're well-supported?

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, a degree mill is "a company or organization that claims to be a higher education institution but provides illegitimate academic degrees and diplomas for a fee." Accredited US medical schools with branch campuses are not degree mills; the degrees they award are legitimate and legally enable graduates to enter residency training and practice medicine.

With that being said, I do believe that some medical schools (especially of the osteopathic variety) are run by profiteers who value expansion over quality of education.

Reactions: 1 user
More like cash cows.

Worst offenders are Touro, VCOM, RVU, PCOM, LECOM
Midwestern? Two campuses and crazy high tuition.
NSU? New MD and DO campus and expensive.

I at least respect LECOM trying to keep tuition down. It can't be all about money for them. They could easily raise tuition.

Midwestern? Two campuses and crazy high tuition.
NSU? New MD and DO campus and expensive.

I at least respect LECOM trying to keep tuition down. It can't be all about money for them. They could easily raise tuition.
Lots of MD schools have two campuses. Let's not go overboard.

Reactions: 1 user