Delayed graduation, how to explain on eras?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Von1812

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I did not end up matching in last years match and plan on reapplying. The short/simple reason is that I didn't apply to enough programs and wanted to stay near my wife who was finishing up residency. I ended up delaying my graduation by saving my last few rotations for aways ect. In the meantime I have been doing research which should yield several publications. I was wondering how those of you who delayed your graduation went about explaining it on ERAS and during the interview process. As I understand it programs have no way of knowing you didn't match unless you state it. I am not against being up-front about it but I worry that the bias will effect my chances. Any ideas on what I should do/how I should talk about it or if I should talk about it at all? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

So I did not end up matching in last years match and plan on reapplying. The short/simple reason is that I didn't apply to enough programs and wanted to stay near my wife who was finishing up residency. I ended up delaying my graduation by saving my last few rotations for aways ect. In the meantime I have been doing research which should yield several publications. I was wondering how those of you who delayed your graduation went about explaining it on ERAS and during the interview process. As I understand it programs have no way of knowing you didn't match unless you state it. I am not against being up-front about it but I worry that the bias will effect my chances. Any ideas on what I should do/how I should talk about it or if I should talk about it at all? Thanks!

I would say that you had a research opportunity and wanted to take it before graduating. You can also work in personal reasons about wanting to be near your wife who was finishing residency.

While I would not volunteer information about having not matched the first time around, I also wouldn't lie about it if they asked for more clarification on your delayed graduation.

I would think if you have a lot of research and publications to show for it, a delayed graduation wouldn't pop up as suspicious.