Delaying application by a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted307836

I have originally been planning on applying in 2015, but I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed as I start preparing for the MCAT (signed up for Jan 2015) along with my other commitments. I'm toying with the idea of delaying my app for a year while cutting down my commitments (work is a constant, though).

Negatives:

- Having to take the new MCAT (I supposed I could still take it in January for a 2016 application, but it appears unclear whether the new MCAT will be preferred by then)

- Having old LOR's -- how much of a problem is this?

- The opportunity cost of delaying another year. I'm still pretty young but it's hard to resist the urge to get on this path ASAP.

Has anyone decided to do this? Any thoughts on how you decided?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about it and realized I was just scared. Are you just scared? Or do you really need more time?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I cut back to delay a bit. The only thing iffy for me is the new vs old MCAT issue. I'm registered for jan as well. I'm not regretting it so far. I'll be applying June 2016. I'll have an older letter, but it'll be strong and I'll have gotten some newer really strong letters as well. Plus longer duration ECs (lighter load though) and more of a life too.

I thought about it and realized I was just scared. Are you just scared? Or do you really need more time?

I fear my volunteering and other EC's are not up to par. I have excellent clinical work experience, though. The extra year could give me a chance to establish myself with volunteering over a longer period and to also take up a research opportunity (I have no research experience now)... all of which could increase my chances at schools I'm especially interested in.

But other than that, I am scared and yes, that's probably part of the issue. I'm scared of taking on more than I can handle -- work and school has been a lot to juggle but I've managed well. Adding more to the equation complicates things greatly.

I cut back to delay a bit. The only thing iffy for me is the new vs old MCAT issue. I'm registered for jan as well. I'm not regretting it so far. I'll be applying June 2016. I'll have an older letter, but it'll be strong and I'll have gotten some newer really strong letters as well. Plus longer duration ECs (lighter load though) and more of a life too.

Yeah the MCAT definitely complicates things. If I could have taken it in April or May of 2015 (current version) that would have solved a lot of my problems... it would free up the rest of this year to beef up my EC's.

Wholeheartedly, I'd be interested in how you're timing your MCAT prep given that you're in a similar situation to me -- working and on a similar timeline. How far have you gotten in your prep? I've just started now -- using TBR and EK Bio.

Wholeheartedly, I'd be interested in how you're timing your MCAT prep given that you're in a similar situation to me -- working and on a similar timeline. How far have you gotten in you're prep? I've just started now -- using TBR and EK Bio.

Well, this weekend was my first real designated study time. Mostly just spent it brushing up on basics with Khan Academy. Basically my plan is to rotate subjects and get through a chapter and some problems on Sat, then another chapter and some probs on Sunday (those are my days off work). Then during the week do my grad class (one evening) grad class homework another evening. After that use one other evening for more practice problems and catchup. Trying to give myself a couple evenings off so I don't totally fry my brain. It'll be interesting though as this grad class is pretty heavy on the reading load and paper writing.

I've got the SDN MCAT Pearls App and am going through a section of that during breakfast and lunch some days, generally bio because that's better suited to just reading.

I'll have some vacation time beginning of Aug and beginning of Jan so I'll try to spend half of it studying intensely and half chilling. Don't have my calendar in front of me but when I drew it up it seemed like it would work out with several weeks of dedicated practice exams. If I'm not scoring where I want to be, I'll push back to the new exam.

Oh, my materials are TBR, TPR Hyperlearning, O Chem as a second language, and random internet resources.

I fear my volunteering and other EC's are not up to par. I have excellent clinical work experience, though. The extra year could give me a chance to establish myself with volunteering over a longer period and to also take up a research opportunity (I have no research experience now)... all of which could increase my chances at schools I'm especially interested in.

But other than that, I am scared and yes, that's probably part of the issue. I'm scared of taking on more than I can handle -- work and school has been a lot to juggle but I've managed well. Adding more to the equation complicates things greatly.
Well, for what it's worth, I gather that clincial experience is much more important that volunteer experience in general. It might do some good to get some research experience. I think if you are comfortable waiting for a whole year, then go for it.

I know you asked @wholeheartedly for her input re: MCAT studying, and I'd like to share mine as well.

I originally planned to take the MCAT in June and started studying in January. I was going to ramp up the studying in April, but I ended up slacking off a bit. I pushed my test date out to September, and continued studying. What happened was I studied for 6+ months, and just really ramped it up the last month or so. I was working full-time, volunteering quite a bit, and I was pregnant (no excuse, but just to give some insight into my energy level). It worked for me, even though my pre-reqs were about 8 years old.

Well, for what it's worth, I gather that clincial experience is much more important that volunteer experience in general. It might do some good to get some research experience. I think if you are comfortable waiting for a whole year, then go for it.

I know you asked @wholeheartedly for her input re: MCAT studying, and I'd like to share mine as well.

I originally planned to take the MCAT in June and started studying in January. I was going to ramp up the studying in April, but I ended up slacking off a bit. I pushed my test date out to September, and continued studying. What happened was I studied for 6+ months, and just really ramped it up the last month or so. I was working full-time, volunteering quite a bit, and I was pregnant (no excuse, but just to give some insight into my energy level). It worked for me, even though my pre-reqs were about 8 years old.

Wow, that's quite a lot to deal with at once! Glad to hear it worked out.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this!

I really don't think that's a good reason to delay your application unless you literally have ZERO volunteering or activities. But since you say you have clinical work experience, it's not like you have nothing to put on your application and resume. Sure you might waste some money applying this year and not getting in, but it seems like the pros to applying highly outweigh the cons. If you get a solid MCAT, go for it!

As of now I have no non-clinical volunteering (I have a fair amount of clinical volunteering in the past, and A LOT of clinical work experience). So my plan was to start with non-clinical volunteering now but with working and MCAT prep it's a lot.

I know that makes it sound like I am just checking off boxes, which I kind of am. Other than that, I do have a fair number of activities to list.

So to sum up... no leadership, non-clinical volunteering, or research. I have a great GPA, and I have a potential research opportunity coming up right after the MCAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of now I have no non-clinical volunteering (I have a fair amount of clinical volunteering in the past, and A LOT of clinical work experience). So my plan was to start with non-clinical volunteering now but with working and MCAT prep it's a lot.

I know that makes it sound like I am just checking off boxes, which I kind of am. Other than that, I do have a fair number of activities to list.

So to sum up... no leadership, non-clinical volunteering, or research. I have a great GPA, and I have a potential research opportunity coming up right after the MCAT.
I've been in med school for a few years now, so I'm not sure if things are different, but I honestly don't think that having no non-clinical volunteering with be a super detriment if the rest of your application is solid.

I'm not sure how "non-traditional" you are, but from what I remember when I applied after I had been working for a few years, my volunteering was all from undergrad and I don't remember it coming up in my interviews. My personal statement and my discussions during my interviews were mostly focused on my job/career at the time and how those were applicable to medicine and why I wanted to go back to school.

So yeah I'd definitely focus on the MCAT studying and worry much so less about volunteering at the humane society petting puppies as obviously the MCAT is weighed much more heavily.