Dell Medical School will be opening at UT-Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TX500

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First entering class will be in 2016. This got me thinking - what are the stats usually like for a new medical school? UT-Austin is an amazing public school, so I doubt the numbers will be low.

Members don't see this ad.

First entering class will be in 2016. This got me thinking - what are the stats usually like for a new medical school? UT-Austin is an amazing public school, so I doubt the numbers will be low.

I doubt UT undergrad will have anything to do with the stats of the first class. It's not applicants will say "Oh, UT undergrad is better than XYZ undergrad so their med school must be better too".

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt UT undergrad will have anything to do with the stats of the first class. It's not applicants will say "Oh, UT undergrad is better than XYZ undergrad so their med school must be better too".

I see what you're saying, but I guess I should say UT in general. The have a great business school, law school, nursing school, etc., so I figured the med school would be near the top as well.

Note: I graduated from UT Austin, hence the incredibly strong bias :D

Still, there will be more applicants than an unknown school because of the fame/money. Oxford and Cambridge both opened business schools not too long ago and already they are ranked top in the world with very high applicant numbers even though the business schools are not really proven yet, they are still using the university's prestige and money.

I see what you're saying, but I guess I should say UT in general. The have a great business school, law school, nursing school, etc., so I figured the med school would be near the top as well.

I'm sure UT will eventually be very respected among medical schools. I don't think it will be treated any differently than the other new schools by applicants though. Nothing against UT, I just think that the combination of new school growing pains and many excellent schools already in the state will make it hard to impress right out of the gate.

Stay away from new med schools....there are a ton of kinks to work out. You would not believe how many years and how much refinement goes into putting together a top notch curriculum. Plus who are the faculty going to be? Med school is a stepping stone to residency, and coming from a brand new school that doesn't even have its own residency programs will be less than ideal when it comes time to apply. I'm sure UT will be an awesome place to train in about 10 years.

There's a reason a lot of new med schools offer free tuition to entice their first class of students,

UT is legit. Trust me. I'm a Texas resident. Eat your heart out, NY. :p

Hope someone can clarify for me. Is it still up in the air or concrete if in May 2015 I'll be able to select UT - Austin on the TMDSAS? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
At first I thought Dell the computer company was opening up a medical school :oops:

Reactions: 1 user
At first I thought Dell the computer company was opening up a medical school :oops:

Well, once the LCME votes to eliminate the requirement that schools be not-for-profit, it might happen.

I said it in the most recent md vs do thread as an Idiocracy reference, but...

The Walmart School of Medicine might graduate its inaugural class in 2020.

Well, once the LCME votes to eliminate the requirement that schools be not-for-profit, it might happen.

I said it in the most recent md vs do thread as an Idiocracy reference, but...

The Walmart School of Medicine might graduate its inaugural class in 2020.

I cant wait! They have a solid patient population to work with.

I dunno about that, but certainly laypeople's impression of a med school seems largely based on how prestigious the undergrad is. (I'm thinking of schools like Dartmouth and Brown, whose med schools automatically have good reputations in people's minds because of their respective undergrad reputations.)

UT is legit. Trust me. I'm a Texas resident. Eat your heart out, NY. :p

Yep.:thumbup: Don't they have several med school's out there already, that are part of the UT branch? UT-Houston, UT San Antonio, Galveston, and Southwestern.

I agree. Also a UT Austin graduate. Hook 'em!

As a Houston resident for 18 years, I strongly concur.

Unfortunately the only things I know about h-town are 713, Don Ke, SUC, and the beach 45 minutes away in Galveston. :oops:

Unfortunately the only things I know about h-town are 713, Don Ke, SUC, and the beach 45 minutes away in Galveston. :oops:

and idiots like Paul Wall and Mike Jones...
although Chamillionaire / Slim Thug / Z-Ro make up for it

Yep.:thumbup: Don't they have several med school's out there already, that are part of the UT branch? UT-Houston, UT San Antonio, Galveston, and Southwestern.

Yes, those school are all apart of the UT system, I doubt a UT-Austin campus would blindly build a med school in round rock any lower quality than those previously mentioned.

(bolded COM are fantastic med schools, they may not have the SW name brand, but the Step 1 scores are more than competitive)

Yes, those school are all apart of the UT system, I doubt a UT-Austin campus would blindly build a med school in round rock any lower quality than those previously mentioned.

(bolded COM are fantastic med schools, they may not have the SW name brand, but the Step 1 scores are more than competitive)

Just curious, why didn't you bold UTSA?

As a Houston resident for 18 years, I strongly concur.

I third that.

So is this good news as far as upping the chances for Texas residents to get into medical school?

and idiots like Paul Wall and Mike Jones...
although Chamillionaire / Slim Thug / Z-Ro make up for it

:love:

Paul Wall goes hard though. He's often in collaboration with several artists. I don't really hear much of Chamillionaire lately.

The med school in SA is UTHSC-SA. UTSA is an entirely different school. It's just semantics.

Thats not the point... Slice asked why the poster didnt bold the medical school in SA ( because the poster thought it wasnt on par with the other schools academically or was there some other reason)

:love:

Paul Wall goes hard though. He's often in collaboration with several artists. I don't really hear much of Chamillionaire lately.

Thats because Chamillionaire is trying to go the 50 Cent/ Diddy/ Jay-Z route and branch into business..

LOL, Paul Wall is not on the level of someone like Lupe Fiasco, Kid Cudi, Fabolous, etc....

He is back to doing local gigs for 2-3Gs like Lil Flip.

Stay away from new med schools....there are a ton of kinks to work out. You would not believe how many years and how much refinement goes into putting together a top notch curriculum. Plus who are the faculty going to be? Med school is a stepping stone to residency, and coming from a brand new school that doesn't even have its own residency programs will be less than ideal when it comes time to apply. I'm sure UT will be an awesome place to train in about 10 years.

There's a reason a lot of new med schools offer free tuition to entice their first class of students,
So, what I'm hearing is: if I get into a top notch program, shy away from the opportunity to be a part of a new system and instead attend an established institution?

Don't forget UT's other new medical school in the Rio Grande Valley! http://www.utsystem.edu/news/2014/08/26/construction-begins-first-new-building-utrgv-medical-school

ETA:
cZ7BHzI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user