Technology dell xps m1210 problems...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had my xps m1210 for about two years now. Early, I thought I hit the jackpot, this computer was small and it was powerful. However, lately it seems like it's working harder as the fan starts blowing full speed about 10 min after turning it on and it gets hot pretty fast. I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty technology ******ed, so I have no clue if I can fix this by myself or if I should let someone handle it. I have tried optimizing and I have anti-virus software that updates frequently. I limited the amount of start up programs that occur as well. I'm at a lost... maybe I'll get my macbook sooner than I thought :(... or should it be :soexcited::soexcited:. Anyways, some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had my xps m1210 for about two years now. Early, I thought I hit the jackpot, this computer was small and it was powerful. However, lately it seems like it's working harder as the fan starts blowing full speed about 10 min after turning it on and it gets hot pretty fast. I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty technology ******ed, so I have no clue if I can fix this by myself or if I should let someone handle it. I have tried optimizing and I have anti-virus software that updates frequently. I limited the amount of start up programs that occur as well. I'm at a lost... maybe I'll get my macbook sooner than I thought :(... or should it be :soexcited::soexcited:. Anyways, some advice?

you can instantly revive all the power of your XPS by reformatting it. Just back up all your data and reformat the hard drive...it has worked for me many times and microsoft recommends reformatting PCs every 6 months.

you can instantly revive all the power of your XPS by reformatting it. Just back up all your data and reformat the hard drive...it has worked for me many times and microsoft recommends reformatting PCs every 6 months.

Should the computer have a backup drive or should I place all my files in an external hard drive?

Members don't see this ad :)
External drive would be best but after you reinstall everything make sure you only install the apps you need. What happens is that you start to spawn background apps and that slows the computer down to the point where you have to reinstall the system

Alternatively when you can afford it you can get a Mac and not have any of these problems

Try cleaning the vent and fan first before you reformat and reinstall. Might be as simple as that.