Dental Anatomy Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingfish23

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have some time off and I wanted to get a head start on dental terminology and dental anatomy. Can anybody recommend a good textbook?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend not bothering with trying to get a head start on dental school.
A couple dentists I shadow told me to get a head start and learn as much as I can. Why do you think I shouldn't try? Just so I don't get burnt out?

Members don't see this ad :)
a good orthodontist friend said they'll teach you everything you need to know in dental school.even when i asked him if I should like start carving he said don't bother. just focus on waht you're doing now: volunteering, sports , school, life. enjoy college man!

Reactions: 1 user
A couple dentists I shadow told me to get a head start and learn as much as I can. Why do you think I shouldn't try? Just so I don't get burnt out?
It's maybe 50% burnout but 50% I feel is a lot of people believe this is the last chance to truly vegetate for a bit since some dental school summers are really short and you may be doing other productive things during those. I asked the med forums about prestudying (hence this username) and that's what they've told me. So I've been sitting on my arse for the past like 6-7 months and just enjoying myself while also playing sports and chillin with friends. I'll let yall know if I regret this and should have had my nose deep in some textbooks if I eff up d1 year haha

I wouldn't recommend just vegetating but there's nothing wrong with that. Just do something u enjoy even if that's studying anatomy :laugh:

If you want to really learn, learn about dentistry. Learn about the economics of it. Let's face it, autonomy is a big factor in the decision to head down this path. Learning about these things now will give you a huge head start.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't bother. Who knows what your dental anatomy professor may want you to learn? Enjoy your free time while you have it - there will be plenty of time for you to spend your weekends studying once you start D1.

exactly, so you don't get burnt out. you will be working very hard during the school year. I'd just enjoy summer as much as possible if I were you

I start as a D1 on July 24 and I've pretty much been doing nothing and enjoying it while I can. Although I did come across a dental anatomy coloring book in a used bookstore and bought it. I didn't want to do any hardcore studying but figured I could work on it a bit just so I won't be hearing the terms for the first time in class. Bought it a few weeks ago and have yet to open it though so we'll see lol

I start as a D1 on July 24 and I've pretty much been doing nothing and enjoying it while I can. Although I did come across a dental anatomy coloring book in a used bookstore and bought it. I didn't want to do any hardcore studying but figured I could work on it a bit just so I won't be hearing the terms for the first time in class. Bought it a few weeks ago and have yet to open it though so we'll see lol
Haha doing anatomy color book sounds like super awesome stress killer when you're like watching a movie or something