Dental GPA recommended for Oral Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppin_them_8z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sup guys, i am just curious what kind of GPA does one need in dental school in order to get into Oral Surgery.
THose in oral surgery, could you please share what your GPA after 4 years of dental school was. Also does anyone know what the GPA cut off is, below which Oral surgery schools chuck your application in the trash can.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't want to be the one to bring the bad news, but I'll lay it out on the table anyway.

GPA doesn't matter. Not one single bit. Okay, that's a bit of a stretch, but it's also true in part. Class rank is what matters.

A 2.70 GPA at a school where the average is a 2.1 is a great GPA. If it leads to a class ranking in the top 10%, then even better. On the other hand, a GPA of 3.65 isn't too great if the class average is a 3.85.

It's all about class rank (or your GPA compared to that of your colleagues). Your GPA as it stands alone is meaningless for this reason.

As far as getting an app thrown in the trash, this would depend on class rank coupled with Part I scores, along with LORs and externship experience, etc.

The OMFS guys around here will probably chime in with what they have experienced. I don't know enough about it to give out any specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add a couple of things. In general, you should aim for a class rank in the top 10% and a part 1 board score over 90 to guarantee some interviews, but I know of people who have matched with less than this.

You should really try to be #1 in your class, not because this is really necessary, but because this is the mentality that OMFS programs look for. And honestly, it's the type of mentality that will help you most succeed in residency. OMFS residency is not spoon-fed at all, and you really have to have the initiative to read and learn on your own. Identify weak areas in your fund of knowledge and read, read, read to fill in the gaps.

You must have a 4.0 If you make a single B you don't stand a chance

That answer is about as ridiculous as your question.

CJWolf said:

Chill the #$&* out!

CJWolf said:

Nice stats wolf! :laugh: How's Tennessee school treatin' ya? ;)

DDS2BE said:
Nice stats wolf! :laugh: How's Tennessee school treatin' ya? ;)

I'm shooting for an A in basket weaving, I think that'll be my first A so far, but hey, I think i'll have a shot at Harvard.

Class rank ~40/95
GPA ~3.3

Oral surgery resident? Yes

tx oms said:
Class rank ~40/95
GPA ~3.3

Oral surgery resident? Yes

Good Oral surgery resident? No

Chances of completing residency? Slim