Dental HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shikamaru1294392

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been skimming through different forums for a few months now, but I still have a few questions about the Air Force HPSP. I'm gonna be honest, my primary incentive to consider this scholarship is for all of the financial benefits. I mean, I would feel an immense sense of pride serving my country, but it isn't of much interest to me. Here are a few of my questions:

1. My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married soon. If we're married while I take the scholarship, will he receive any benefits?

2. When we get married, can he live with me after dental school, during active duty? I know that this seems like a dumb question, but I honestly don't know. I just don't want to have to be away from my husband for extended periods of time.

3. If we can live together, would we live on base or in a house of our own?

4. How often can my residency change?

5. What are my odds of being deployed oversees?

6. Will I still be able to spend time with my family?

7. If I wanted to start a family during my service, would this be a problem?

8. This is kind of an odd question, but where ever I lived, would my cat be able to come with me?

9. For those who accepted the scholarship, was it worth it? What were the pros and cons?

I'm sorry for asking so many stupid questions. I honestly don't know much about the scholarship and I'm very scared and nervous about dental school and the burden of all of the debt.

Thank you all so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

All of these questions have been answered over in the military forum. I'll link it below. Another note, I have heard many people say that if you do the military scholarship only for the money, you'll have a bad time...Make sure to do your research and make sure it is a good fit for you.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/military-dentistry.178/

Hello all! I've been skimming through different forums for a few months now, but I still have a few questions about the Air Force HPSP. I'm gonna be honest, my primary incentive to consider this scholarship is for all of the financial benefits. I mean, I would feel an immense sense of pride serving my country, but it isn't of much interest to me. Here are a few of my questions:

1. My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married soon. If we're married while I take the scholarship, will he receive any benefits?

Not during school but he will get health benefits when your active duty.

2. When we get married, can he live with me after dental school, during active duty? I know that this seems like a dumb question, but I honestly don't know. I just don't want to have to be away from my husband for extended periods of time.

Yes. It seems there are only a few (maybe only one, I'm not sure) assignments to places overseas where the family doesn't go. There is always the chance of being deployed. Right now chances of that are low, but who knows in 4 or 5 years.

3. If we can live together, would we live on base or in a house of our own?

You choose

4. How often can my residency change?

I believe it is typically 3 or 4 years. Of course that can vary and it depends if you do any residency training.

5. What are my odds of being deployed oversees?

It looks like most slots are filled by volunteers right now, so the chances are lower. However, things can change quickly. I am taking the army scholarship knowing I may be called on to serve overseas and leaving my family. Right now deployments are typically around 6 months, but things can change to make them longer or shorter.

6. Will I still be able to spend time with my family?

It is a job Mon-Fri with being on call some weekends and getting about 4 weeks off a year. So you should have plenty of time with your family.

7. If I wanted to start a family during my service, would this be a problem?

Not sure how much leave you get, but my sister-in-law recently joined the air force as an officer (non-dentist) and is now pregnant. They can't dictate when you have children, but you may still be asked to leave them if deployed.

8. This is kind of an odd question, but where ever I lived, would my cat be able to come with me?

My sister-in-law is allowed two pets living on base. Off base doesn't have this limit.

9. For those who accepted the scholarship, was it worth it? What were the pros and cons?

I haven't served so I can't say, but I have heard that some people who do it just for the money end up being miserable those four years. I definitely don't want to be paying back my loans for years, but I'm also looking forward to serving. I don't want to be deployed because I'll be away from my family, but I'm going in expecting it to happen and will look forward to helping those putting their lives on the line. I also don't have a problem taking orders and won't get bent out of shape by the hierarchy of things in the military.

I'm sorry for asking so many stupid questions. I honestly don't know much about the scholarship and I'm very scared and nervous about dental school and the burden of all of the debt.

These answers have come from me searching the military forum and shadowing a dentist who was in the army for six years after doing the two year aegd. Also know that the airforce scholarship is much more competitive than that of the army or navy and that the sooner you get things completed the better. The army has already given out a number of scholarships and the navy recently had boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I wish you didn't space your questions out so much because it's so hard to answer your questions.

1. I don't think you'll really get any benefits because for the HPSP, you're not really in the military yet. You're technically and O-1, but you're not receiving time in service. That's why you're not an O-3E when you graduate.
2. Yes, you live with your spouse, but obviously not deployed. And they don't travel with you during training. They stay back home.
3. You can choose to live on base or off. If you live off base, you'll receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), which is based on your pay and location of your duty station. If you live on base, your BAH completely gets used up from that. I think it's better to live off base, but that's just me.
4. I don't quite know what you're asking? For the most part, your residency is based on where you home state is and will stay that way until you leave.
5. Air Force does deployments? lol j/k Uh... I don't know how your deployments work. We always joked that the Air Force deployed for like 4 months to Hawaii and stuff, but I sometimes wonder now if that's true. Most dentist in the Navy attached to a Marine Corps unit will deploy AT MOST once during they're first 6 years in. Most of the dentists that did deploy volunteered to do so. There are some that were voluntold. Deployments are fun. Don't be afraid to deploy as a dentist.
6. You're working a 7-5 essentially. You just spend time with your family after you get off work.
7. If you wanted to start a family, it's best to do it while you're in because they'll pay your medical bills. People do look unfavorably on you if you do decide to start your family when you've been slated for deployment because it looks like you got pregnant to get out of deploying. I only say this because it happens. Not a sexist thing.
8. Hmm, I don't know about base housing, but if you live off base, it's based on your apartment or wherever you choose to live.
9. I know for the guys that received the Navy HPSP scholarship, they don't regret it. You get amazing opportunities on Camp Pendleton. I'm sure the Air Force is pretty similar. But this is subjective. You have to remember you're joining the military and you'll have people that you don't respect telling you what to do. You can't get snippy with them. It is what it is. But there are a lot of ups. If you do join, I recommend that you embrace the idea and take advantage of the training that you could get only through service. Also, sometimes you can ask for training in something that's unrelated to your field and they'll still let you go. All you have to do is ask.

Reactions: 1 user
gonna be straight up with you, don't bank on the air force (unless you've already gotten the scholarship of course, in which case congrats!)--they had a little less than 20 scholarships (in the whole country) before the government downsized..so if you're considering it as in 'i haven't applied yet, but i'll probably get it', again, don't bank on it. in any case, the answers to your questions are below. keep in mind that my experiences are with the army, but a lot of the policies are the same.

1. My boyfriend and I have been talking about getting married soon. If we're married while I take the scholarship, will he receive any benefits? i do know that you have to report your status as single/married, and if it changes you have to report it to the hpsp office. i think that's more for after you complete school, though...could be wrong. your contract will say that you get paid 75% of what an O-1 typically gets paid. if i recall correctly, nothing is mentioned about your marital status.

2. When we get married, can he live with me after dental school, during active duty? I know that this seems like a dumb question, but I honestly don't know. I just don't want to have to be away from my husband for extended periods of time. if you're married then yup.

3. If we can live together, would we live on base or in a house of our own? as a commissioned officer, you can live on base or off base. your Basic housing allowance will be changed depending on that.

4. How often can my residency change? in the army, i've heard every 2-3 years. that might be different with the AF

5. What are my odds of being deployed oversees? i don't know if you've heard, but the govt. has downsized the military..meaning very slim at this point. and if you're in the air force, your chances are already pretty low as it is.

6. Will I still be able to spend time with my family? i don't see why not.

7. If I wanted to start a family during my service, would this be a problem?no, in fact, starting a family while you're in the service is really good. the benefits you have are plentiful.

8. This is kind of an odd question, but where ever I lived, would my cat be able to come with me? if you're off base, sure. on base--idk what the policy is, but i don't see why not?

9. For those who accepted the scholarship, was it worth it? What were the pros and cons? way more pros than cons. PM me if you want to know more.

It's seems like you've had your questions answered well. From my limited experience, I'm currently a cadet at the USAF Academy, and I have been shadowing the 1 year AEGD residency here for the last three years, the advice given above is true. I will be getting one if the two slots allotted to Academy Cadets here soon for the 4 year AF HPSP (it's already decided, but the paper work just isn't done yet), and I'd be more than happy to answer any further questions you think I'd be able to answer!