Dental Mill / Factory: Which school is the most like a mill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ghost_Writer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some very good reasons, I am interested in attending a dental school that could be described as a 'dental mill.' Which school(s) do you feel are this way? I am hoping for responses from actual experiences, as opposed to rumors.

I wonder if more private, or chain-schools are more efficient towards what you need to know?

I am submitting this thread because I have gone to state schools and am tired of such inefficient use of time, make-believe projects / presentations / papers, and seek a really efficient environment to earn a dental education.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools that are Dental Mills: NYU, U$C, UNE, LECOM, WesternU, Roseman, and the upcoming Bluefield (opening in 2015), MWU-AZ/IL.

Private chain schools are NOT 'more efficient' towards what you need to know, as a general rule. The only exception I can think of is MWU-AZ/IL. They offer a superior quality education albeit, at a huge price ($330k and up).

You should attend the cheapest school you find. You will learn 'what you need to know' in the real world. What you learn in school is what you need to pass boards.

State-schools might not be the best, but they are cheap. You can use the money you save by attending a state school (which can save up to $100k in some cases) to take CE courses when you are a dentist.

For some very good reasons, I am interested in attending a dental school that could be described as a 'dental mill.' Which school(s) do you feel are this way? I am hoping for responses from actual experiences, as opposed to rumors.

I wonder if more private, or chain-schools are more efficient towards what you need to know?

I am submitting this thread because I have gone to state schools and am tired of such inefficient use of time, make-believe projects / presentations / papers, and seek a really efficient environment to earn a dental education.
what does being a state school having anything to do with those things?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools that are Dental Mills: NYU, U$C, UNE, LECOM, WesternU, Roseman, and the upcoming Bluefield (opening in 2015), MWU-AZ/IL.

Private chain schools are NOT 'more efficient' towards what you need to know, as a general rule. The only exception I can think of is MWU-AZ/IL. They offer a superior quality education albeit, at a huge price ($330k and up).

You should attend the cheapest school you find. You will learn 'what you need to know' in the real world. What you learn in school is what you need to pass boards.

State-schools might not be the best, but they are cheap. You can use the money you save by attending a state school (which can save up to $100k in some cases) to take CE courses when you are a dentist.

not tufts, bu? lol might as well name every private school

whats your affiliation with these schools and the curriculum?

What do you mean by "dental mill"? If you mean "has lots of patients with lots of dentistry to do" then you should go to one of those mills. More dentistry will make you a better dentist. I know a couple schools out there where people are graduating with 12 completed crowns. At MWU-AZ there are students graduating with 40,50,and60 crowns completed. I don't know about you but I'd feel more comfortable doing a procedure in private practice if I had 3-5 times the experience.

Reactions: 1 user
not tufts, bu? lol might as well name every private school

Tufts, like MWU-AZ has a good reputation and actually trains its students well.

whats your affiliation with these schools and the curriculum?
USC- 400k+; terrible clinic; PBL; lots of dissatisfied students
Roseman - Expensive, in a very very saturated area
LECOM - PBL; professors who teach science classes aren't even dental professors; you study almost everything on your own.
NYU - expensive, foreign-DDS professors, biggest class in the nation if i'm not mistaken
Bluefield- a shady school; look on the pre-dental forums for more; probably the shadiest school of all
WesternU - another D-school in cali? (the most oversaturated place in the country)

There are great privates like MWU, Creighton, Tufts, UDM, UOP. They have stellar programs and are not dental mills, in my opinion

in other words, if a school is expensive and big, you don't like it. and if it's in california, then you really don't like it. saturation and foreign dentists are bad too so these schools are all mills. did i miss anything?

also, this bluefield school isn't even open yet, so how can you have an opinion on its clinic?

nyu has an excellent clinic with unlimited patients and 100% pass rate on boards unlike other schools....

Lol! Gotta love the internet.......

UNE is a new school, but that does not make it a "dental mill". CT or upstate NY is where the nearest public dental schools are if you're a Maine resident. All three private dental schools in MA probably cost more or a tad less depending on what your circumstances are, especially housing. Their class size is much larger too, except maybe Harvard.

UNE is a new school, but that does not make it a "dental mill". CT or upstate NY is where the nearest public dental schools are if you're a Maine resident. All three private dental schools in MA probably cost more or a tad less depending on what your circumstances are, especially housing. Their class size is much larger too, except maybe Harvard.
does UNE even have a clinic going yet?

NYU can be considered to be a 'dental mill', especially if you went here for school pre-2000s. Not like that anymore. for having a lot of students, this school really goes out of the way to make sure you have all the resources that you need. it's up to you whether or not you take full advantage of them. clinically, the school can't be touched.

can't really debate the whole cost issue though. all dental schools are expensive, and the fact that the school is in NYC doesn't help the case at all.

and no offense to anyone, but you can't compare the nation's 3rd oldest dental school to any of the new schools. i have my own qualms with nyu, but i know at the end of the day i'll be clinically set. hate all you want, but the school has contributed more to the dental profession than a lot of schools out there.

Yeah, how is UNE a dental mill? they have like 65 students/class. and i dont think their clinic is going yet because the second class doesnt even start until the fall. also, uconn is the only public dental school in new england where someone from maine can actually get a reduced tuition.

How are the schools you listed dental mills??? Better yet how can a school be a dental mill?

I'm sure you are an expert in everyone one of these school's curriculum's to make the claim.

Pretty impressive you know all this stuff about a school like lecom who started seeing patients 3 months ago, or better yet a school that hasn't even opened yet.

What do you mean by "dental mill"? If you mean "has lots of patients with lots of dentistry to do" then you should go to one of those mills. More dentistry will make you a better dentist. I know a couple schools out there where people are graduating with 12 completed crowns. At MWU-AZ there are students graduating with 40,50,and60 crowns completed. I don't know about you but I'd feel more comfortable doing a procedure in private practice if I had 3-5 times the experience.

Went to nova, we were required to do 8 crowns. I heard they went to no reqs a couple years back, fwiw.

Have you heard of MILLWESTERN! Lol

86 was the most crowns so far from a graduate here. 50 at the end of D3 is probably going to beat that. I know that's not a great metric. Just a stat I heard. <Cue the over treatment joke someone's going to throw out>. Seems like people are content just calling a new school a mill. So getting into any sort of discussion is useless. Staying operational (collecting tuition) and issuing degrees with graduates having little experience is a mill to me. New or not.

Went to nova, we were required to do 8 crowns. I heard they went to no reqs a couple years back, fwiw.
bsp, are you sure it's 8 crowns?? this past year someone graduated from nova with 6 crowns.

i think you're confused with what a dental mill is. when we use the term we use it to reference schools that are producing a ton of dentists and not schools that produce a ton of dentistry per student (i.e. a strong clinical school). it's a derogatory term because it implies that the school is profit driven even at the cost of the student's education by under staffing students and not investing as much resources on each student as the other schools.

bsp, are you sure it's 8 crowns?? this past year someone graduated from nova with 6 crowns.

Better read that post again boss. I did 8 and graduated in 2012. Since then I have have heard they reduced the quota to zero. So I'm not surprised someone graduated with 6 crowns. Their tuition was paid for, right?

yep, bsp, that shouldn't be surprising. all they cares about is their tuition paid.