Dental or Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nav09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new here and am just looking for honest advice. I have been considering dental for as long as I can remember, but for some reason I'm losing interest in it. I'm an undergrad as of now, almost into my third year and I am questioning my career goals all over again.

Here's the thing, I want to do dental only because it offers jobs, but as for optometry, it's rather difficult or out of state. Or is that the case for anything and I'm just trippen'? Blood freaks me out so i'm not sure how dental will work out, but then it's like once I start, I'll get used to it. How is dental school? How is Optometry school?
It's not even patient to doctor thing, like I can adapt anywhere. But I just can't seem to make a choice. I don't know if I'm even capable of anything anymore. Dental freaks me out, but for Optometry, I don't have enough options. I sound like I have no idea of what I am talking about, please tell me someone understands what I mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow both and see what you like better

Reactions: 6 users
Shadow professionals in both fields in order to get a better idea of what you want to do. From what it sounds like, you don't really want to do either profession; it seems any profession that can make you money will be fine. You might want to shadow an array of professionals to find something you can enjoy/remotely enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, i'm new here and am just looking for honest advice. I have been considering dental for as long as I can remember, but for some reason I'm losing interest in it. I'm an undergrad as of now, almost into my third year and I am questioning my career goals all over again.

Here's the thing, I want to do dental only because it offers jobs, but as for optometry, it's rather difficult or out of state. Or is that the case for anything and I'm just trippen'? Blood freaks me out so i'm not sure how dental will work out, but then it's like once I start, I'll get used to it. How is dental school? How is Optometry school?
It's not even patient to doctor thing, like I can adapt anywhere. But I just can't seem to make a choice. I don't know if I'm even capable of anything anymore. Dental freaks me out, but for Optometry, I don't have enough options. I sound like I have no idea of what I am talking about, please tell me someone understands what I mean?
Well then tell me what do you love/like?

Shadow? I shadowed my optometrist for two days and she told me she hates her job, that made me reconsider what I want to do! she told me that there is so much hassle with the insurance and people don't take you seriously. From reading all these optometry forums, man... idk what to say! And I shadowed a dental hygienist, oh god, the scrapping killed me!!!! but it felt good at the same time, like how after you clean something dirty and it makes you feel satisfied.

Reactions: 1 users
Shadow both and see what you like better

Definitely agree with PocketRocket. There are some good videos on youtube.
try watching this and see how you feel about it.. if you can get used to videos, maybe you can try getting used to it in person while shadowing.

Don't choose a health profession without true passion for the field you go into. It's unethical and unfair to the patients. You should love what you do and love providing the best care for your patients.

Yes, I know money is important and yes, you are running a business as a dentist. However, I suggest looking into other career options if your focus is more money > patient, as it'll be wayyyyyyy more lucrative going into business or anything else.

Reactions: 1 user

Shadow? I shadowed my optometrist for two days and she told me she hates her job, that made me reconsider what I want to do! she told me that there is so much hassle with the insurance and people don't take you seriously. From reading all these optometry forums, man... idk what to say! And I shadowed a dental hygienist, oh god, the scrapping killed me!!!! but it felt good at the same time, like how after you clean something dirty and it makes you feel satisfied.

I think you may want to shadow under someone who won't bias your view so you can decide whether you like it or not; you're deciding on your future profession, best not to choose haphazardly. From what you've said so far, it seems both professions are ill-fitting for you; however, you're really going to have to shadow more than 2 days to get a clearer picture. Honestly, your reasoning to go into dentistry/optometry can be used for any profession.

try watching this and see how you feel about it.. if you can get used to videos, maybe you can try getting used to it in person while shadowing.

Don't choose a health profession without true passion for the field you go into. It's unethical and unfair to the patients. You should love what you do and love providing the best care for your patients.

Yes, I know money is important and yes, you are running a business as a dentist. However, I suggest looking into other career options if your focus is more money > patient, as it'll be wayyyyyyy more lucrative going into business or anything else.[/QU

Honestly, I can't watch that video. Maybe I should think of other careers. I always steer towards Optometry, but I feel like i'm not getting mt answers. I'm not sure what I want and am running out of time. I say I want to do dental, but in the back of the head I go, What about pharmacy? Pediatrician? etc...

Honestly, I can't watch that video. Maybe I should think of other careers. I always steer towards Optometry, but I feel like i'm not getting mt answers. I'm not sure what I want and am running out of time. I say I want to do dental, but in the back of the head I go, What about pharmacy? Pediatrician? etc...

Well, I'll be honest with you. I considered many options like those you mentioned in the past. I had awful GPA and hadn't taken my DAT back then.
I was horrified about my future. But I kept trying and found what I am now passionate about. You have to find it yourself. Unfortunately, you're not going to find it from us because it's what makes YOU happy that matters.

Only way to find out is to shadow or talk to actual practitioners about their job. Are you set on healthcare professions? Why is that? Is it because of your major?
Because if that's the only reason, you're gonna end up spending at least 4 years applying and studying in professional school when you could easily just change your major and go into another field. Plus, if you don't get in this year, you waste another year opposed to spending ~3 years changing majors

Well, I'll be honest with you. I considered many options like those you mentioned in the past. I had awful GPA and hadn't taken my DAT back then.
I was horrified about my future. But I kept trying and found what I am now passionate about. You have to find it yourself. Unfortunately, you're not going to find it from us because it's what makes YOU happy that matters.

Only way to find out is to shadow or talk to actual practitioners about their job. Are you set on healthcare professions? Why is that? Is it because of your major?
Because if that's the only reason, you're gonna end up spending at least 4 years applying and studying in professional school when you could easily just change your major and go into another field. Plus, if you don't get in this year, you waste another year opposed to spending ~3 years changing majors

No, No, I'm fine with my major. I love biology, it's challenging but I like it over all of my other classes. I mean Biology degree has a lot to offer to but I just don't know what. I talked to my advisors and they tell me so what's best for me. I can't seem to make a

Are you dying? lol why are you running out of time?
It really is okay if you haven't figured out what you want to do by the end of college. A lot of people, myself included, take 1 to 2 years off before going back to graduate school. It is more "prosperous" to commit to a 4 year graduate program knowing that that is exactly what you want to do because your life experiences have led you to it than it is to make a rushed decision about your future.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, I know money is important and yes, you are running a business as a dentist. However, I suggest looking into other career options if your focus is more money > patient, as it'll be wayyyyyyy more lucrative going into business or anything else.

That's a wicked video. Dental implants are such a cool procedure, and watching that makes me super pumped to get there one day

That's a wicked video. Dental implants are such a cool procedure, and watching that makes me super pumped to get there one day

Haha me too. As an assistant/receptionist, I love the post-implant follow up calls, every time their pain level is very low and almost no bleeding. And at the end of 3-8 months, the end result is so great and satisfying to witness.
On the other hand, the denture patients will come several times to get adjustments and have difficulty talking/eating.

Im not gonna lie, I am really squeamish when it comes to teeth and gums; very fleshy, moist, and gross which makes me a bit uncomfortable. Just something about it that put me in a knee-jerk ew kind of vibe. As I watched the video however, I found myself liking and admiring the healing and restoration effort that the dentist was able to provide.

I was on the fence about weather or not to take the DAT. Not to take over the thread from OP, but if my passion lies in helping/healing others, should I consider applying to dental school? I shadowed a General Dentist twice about 3 years ago and enjoyed the experience, and can see myself in the profession (General Dentistry), but I don't really have a burning passion for teeth. I do have a burning desire to heal and restore others to their former functioning self, and I like the environment dentistry has maintained in light of the Affordable Care Act (not being dragged into it), admire the business aspect of practice, and like the more family friendly lifestyle it has to offer without surrendering autonomy or intensity.

Im not gonna lie, I am really squeamish when it comes to teeth and gums; very fleshy, moist, and gross which makes me a bit uncomfortable. Just something about it that put me in a knee-jerk ew kind of vibe. As I watched the video however, I found myself liking and admiring the healing and restoration effort that the dentist was able to provide.

I was on the fence about weather or not to take the DAT. Not to take over the thread from OP, but if my passion lies in helping/healing others, should I consider applying to dental school? I shadowed a General Dentist twice about 3 years ago and enjoyed the experience, and can see myself in the profession (General Dentistry), but I don't really have a burning passion for teeth. I do have a burning desire to heal and restore others to their former functioning self, and I like the environment dentistry has maintained in light of the Affordable Care Act (not being dragged into it), admire the business aspect of practice, and like the more family friendly lifestyle it has to offer without surrendering autonomy or intensity.
Go osteopathic school then psychiatry easy peasy, low stress great pay

If you are not SURE, and I mean 100% sure you want to be a Dentist, do not go to Dental School. You will be miserable.....and out $40-$50K before you realize it. Dental School is extremely hard to begin with, but if you don't enjoy working with your hands, and being incredibly precise about everything....(e.g. the range of acceptable gingival wall widths is 1.25-1.40 mm) you will hate life!

If you can't stand the sight of blood, the health field just isn't for you. Maybe go into research?