Dental scholarship 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LogOff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm attending UOP starting this summer. I'm applying for HPSP currently through Navy and it looks promising.

However, I'm wondering how competitive it would be to get a 3-year scholarship through NHSC?

I've heard before that there are very few scholarships for dental school and it's almost impossible. Any hard data I could look at?

Is applying for a 3-year rather than 4-year a good or bad thing as far as chances of getting the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm attending UOP starting this summer. I'm applying for HPSP currently through Navy and it looks promising.

However, I'm wondering how competitive it would be to get a 3-year scholarship through NHSC?

I've heard before that there are very few scholarships for dental school and it's almost impossible. Any hard data I could look at?

Is applying for a 3-year rather than 4-year a good or bad thing as far as chances of getting the scholarship?

There are 5 or 6 NHSC scholars currently attending UoP, so I don't think it affects your odds one way or the other. You can always check out the published guidance for more info.

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf

They listed 253 total awards for 3200 applications, for 2011. I want to say that maybe 30-40 of those were dental scholarships, but don't quote me on that. I was only half listening during that phone conference... 9am EST schedules ftl, when you're in CA.

The bureaucracy is a bit irritating to deal with, but thus far, it's been a good experience. As far as I'm concerned, a 3 years scholarship worth upwards of $400k is a very good deal.