Dental school in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdkeene

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI. I am a sophomore at Penn State right now. I am majoring in science, and want to go into dentistry. I have a GPA of around 2.7 (after 3 semesters), and was wondering about that. I have time to bring up my grades, but I am still worried that it may not be enough. My top school of interest is Tufts, and I am worried that I may not get in no matter how hard I work. When they say that the GPA is 3.2 for both general and science, how "strict" is that? Will I be considered if I get a 3.0? Is there anything I can do to help my chances? thank you very much for your reply. I am just worried overall, and hope that things can work out right. Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

You have plenty of time to raise your gpa. Just being a sophomore-----probably means you haven't taken organic chemistry, physics II, or many of the requirements that will get you into dental school. It is imperative that you do well in these classes!!! Now that you know you are on the brink-----you need to really work at the grades. A 2.7 gpa is not what you want as a senior--------and you definitely have some difficult classes coming up. The good news is that dental school admissions look at a lot of thing other than gpa (but not if it is sub-3.0). You will want to have some experience in dentistry, show some leadership skills, get to know some professors (for recommendations), do some volunteer work, and put your head down and go to work!!!!!
YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER THE NEXT 3 YEARS----good luck!!!!

rdkeene

It's still early in the game for you. Firstly, try identifying why you're getting a <3 gpa...is it your study habits...lack of interest in your classes...too many activities planned at once...etc. Identifying the problem is easy, but being able to take action upon it is more difficult.

All I have to say is that I've been through what you're experiencing (with a 1.7 GPA after freshman year). I chose a major I wasn't interested in, so I switched it to something I wanted to learn about (pulled it up to a 3.4 now).

It'll be extremely tough to even get an interview if you have a 2.7, so start taking elective classes you know you'll enjoy and boost up that gpa.

I do have a friend in his 2nd year at Tufts and was accepted with about a 2.8 undergrad gpa, but he has experience in healthcare field and a radiology diploma, so getting in with a sub 3gpa is possible.

Like Dr.2b stated, get strong letters of rec, volunteer, do some research and have some other extracurriculars. Make sure you kickbutt on the DAT and try scoring at least a 19.

Study smarter, not harder and your gpa will climb.

Good luck.

thank you guys very much for the reply. I am glad that there is time to bring it up, and am currently working on it. I like the line about study smarter, not harder. That line has already helped me get some stuff in shape. Thanks a lot for your encouragement. I needed it, especially with a huge exam coming up. Thanks again