Dental School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrooklynSmilez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there SDNers I'm relatively new to SDN and needed advice on my list of schools. I wanted to know if I should add or remove any.

A little bit about myself:
3.4 GPA
NY Resident
~300 hours Dental shadowing
~300 hours research
26 TS/ 24 AA/ 22 PAT

NYU
Rutgers
Columbia
Stony Brook
Buffalo
UCLA
Nova
Harvard
Tufts
Boston U
Temple
UMarlyand
Touro

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is 3.4 both your overall and science GPA?
Fantastic DAT!!!!
Any volunteering?

Stony Brook is calling your name

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stony Brook is calling your name

I wish they would call mine too . I spoke to two residents at my volunteering hospital who graduated from stonybrook and they had a 27 AA and 24 AA. In fact one of my classmates got a 26 AA and got rejected. For a state school they are packing Ivy League tier heat.

But anyways, I think you have a solid list! With your stats 13 schools should be great! Even though I think 8 is enough.

Last edited:
For a state school they are packing Ivy League tier heat.
They are, I was rejected from Stony lol (going to Penn). They are insanely nit-picky over small details (courses, letters, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
They are, I was rejected from Stony lol (going to Penn). They are insanely nit-picky over small details (courses, letters, etc).

I know a classmate applied to stony with a 27 AA as well but she decided to go to Uconn. Don't know if she got rejected or accepted. I'm hoping my overcoming a struggle theme in my PS sways them lol.

So long as nothing is off about the rest of your application, I think your DAT and NY state residency will land you an interview at Stony Brook!

Hi there SDNers I'm relatively new to SDN and needed advice on my list of schools. I wanted to know if I should add or remove any.

3.4 GPA
NY Resident
~300 hours research
26 TS/ 24 AA/ 22 PAT

NYU
Rutgers
Columbia
Stony Brook
Buffalo
UCLA
Nova
Harvard
Tufts
Boston U
Temple
UMarlyand
Touro
Okay so I'll start by saying I had the same stats as you, in case that makes my 2 cents worth a little more. Same GPA, same DAT, 0 research hours, and way fewer shadowing hours than you.

I wouldn't recommend adding Penn and UNE at all. Expensive private and a school you probably excluded because of location alone. Pittsburgh and UDM are unnecessary imo

My list if I were you
NYU
Rutgers
Columbia
Stony Brook
Buffalo
UCLA
Harvard
UMaryland
Touro - your safety
UDM (just to round you off to 10)

Last edited:
I'd add UoP with the DAT score of yours.

Am I the only one still hesitant about Touro since it's new? I would remove that one and add UNE, Pitt, or Penn. If you're okay with the cost of NYU/BU/Tufts, then you're okay with the cost of those as well.

Reactions: 3 users
My overall GPA is 3.4, volunteering also ~300 hours
Is 3.4 both your overall and science GPA?
Fantastic DAT!!!!
Any volunteering?
Take out Harvard and UCLA.
Trying to somewhat stay on the East coast hopefully, however I am interested in UCLA because of cost and location, why would you recommend taking it out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to somewhat stay on the East coast hopefully, however I am interested in UCLA because of cost and location, why would you recommend taking it out?
Location understandable, cost: it's expensive. Secondly, UCLA only accepted 1 person from NY, they prefer in-state applicants and the surrounding western states.

id add UF they're awesome and ur stats give u a shot :D also, def def def add uconnn
I wouldn't add UF if OP is trying to save money. They accept very little OOS applicants so it would just be a wasted fee IMO. I'd save the money and use it on a different school.

Just my 2 cents! That 26 TS is beautiful though, so it could be possible.

Lol damn SDN has such a boner for UConn.
To everyone looking to add it: it's a crapshoot (less so if you're from Connecticut or New England). I'm not saying you won't get in, but at my interview the average GPA for the day was like a 3.9 and everyone seemed pretty well rounded and a couple were pretty gunner-y. I had no idea why they picked me to interview after I saw everyone else there lol. That's just my experience, though. But it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. Also, UConn is basically in the middle of no where, so if being relatively close to a city is important to you, keep that in mind.

Actually, "it doesn't hurt to give it a shot" should basically be everyone's motto for making school lists. If you're on the fence and think it's a long shot, try anyway. You'll regret not trying more than the small amount of money lost and the closure of knowing you got in or not

Reactions: 1 users
Lol damn SDN has such a boner for UConn.
To everyone looking to add it: it's a crapshoot (less so if you're from Connecticut or New England). I'm not saying you won't get in, but at my interview the average GPA for the day was like a 3.9 and everyone seemed pretty well rounded and a couple were pretty gunner-y. I had no idea why they picked me to interview after I saw everyone else there lol. That's just my experience, though. But it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. Also, UConn is basically in the middle of no where, so if being relatively close to a city is important to you, keep that in mind.

Actually, "it doesn't hurt to give it a shot" should basically be everyone's motto for making school lists. If you're on the fence and think it's a long shot, try anyway. You'll regret not trying more than the small amount of money lost and the closure of knowing you got in or not
I guess uconn would be a gamble but why is it so coveted, & how many oos typically get accepted?

^^ 50 out of 100 are OOS.

That's a solid amount, I would say.... but again what about the school draws so many predents.

I guess uconn would be a gamble but why is it so coveted, & how many oos typically get accepted?

~50% in-state
Another ~30% from New England
Rest from out of New England

^Stats above are from their website directly.

^^ 50 out of 100 are OOS.

True, but remember, the majority of those OOSers are from New England since it is the only public dental school in New England.

and ~ 1086 applied, with 128 gaining interviews and 24 enrolled

Where did you get these numbers? Are these for OOS students?

Where did you get these numbers? Are these for OOS students?
wxMgJz7.png

2015/2016 ADEA Guidebook

Let's be real. People go to UConn for the creamery.

Are you considering Uconn? I'm borderline on it after remembering they like NE OOSers....

They are an elite, fantastic program, one of the top ones in the country, and I think anyone would be honored to have a seat there.

I don't know enough to comment about the NY state schools since I'm out of state. However, unless you really want to go there, I would remove Harvard. I would also take off UCLA. Your GPA is significantly under both school's averages. Additionally, you high DAT will be weighed heavily at Columbia- yay! Pacific and Penn would also be good schools to look at given your DAT.

I don't know enough to comment about the NY state schools since I'm out of state. However, unless you really want to go there, I would remove Harvard. I would also take off UCLA. Your GPA is significantly under both school's averages. Additionally, you high DAT will be weighed heavily at Columbia- yay! Pacific and Penn would also be good schools to look at given your DAT.
Why add pacific?

3.4 GPA
NY Resident
~300 hours research
26 TS/ 24 AA/ 22 PAT

NYU
Rutgers
Columbia
Stony Brook
Buffalo
UCLA
Nova
Harvard
Tufts
Boston U
Temple
UMarlyand
Touro

what qualities are you looking for in a dental school? are you looking to speicalize?

Like Columbia UoP tends to put more weight on DAT scores than GPA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Is UoP OOS friendly? or a private school?

what qualities are you looking for in a dental school? are you looking to speicalize?
Eventually I would want to specialize, i'm looking for a relatively small class size (schools on my list are an exception), decent facilities, friendly faculty, and a lively city.

Uop is a private school, that being said , they're not a State determining school, although from what I've read on here, they do seem to partially go west coast over east coast for some reason lol

A lot of it has to do with where applicants are originally from. Most want to stay within a region close to their family and friends, or at least closer than an 8 hour flight if they are on the other coast. I'd think that there are more people on the west coast that are applying to a west coast school than anywhere else, and so it would be a little bit skewed in that direction.