Dental school tuition rate during pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this was already asked, i scrolled through the debt forum and didnt find any topics on this.
I will be starting dental school in the fall and our school said we will have didactic courses online but labs in person, however i havent heard anything from the school about tuition rates lowering due to online classes.
To those that have started classes already or have heard from your schools, did they mention anything about tuition rates being lowered or reimbursed due to the pandemic?
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

PPE is more expensive due to the pandemic. Schools that shut down lost revenue from their clinics. Tuition rates will rise, and schools will have no guilt about doing so.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope you're joking and they dont actually do this hahahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you're joking and they dont actually do this hahahaha

I wish I were, my friend. I wish I were. The only thing you can do at this point is graduate with as little debt as possible. Reduce living expenses, live frugally, and try to work or make money where you can.

Reactions: 1 users
The schools are hemorrhaging money. PPE is more expensive, half the production capacity for social distancing, less patient demand, etc. We already know our tuition is going to skyrocket. Fingers crossed it’s less than 10% at this point, but I’m not hopeful.

Anyone who thinks tuition would go down, or even stay remotely the same, has no idea what’s going on with the financial conditions of schools right now.

For future students: you were warned. Go to the cheapest school!

Additional note: I’ve just been hoping delaying the class of 2021 so they pay more tuition to “reach adequate clinical standards” isn’t on the table, but every day, it seems less and less impossible.

Reactions: 3 users
In the case of my school (public): The process of approving tuition rates is done in advance, thus for the following school year it will still be increased; however, we heard that for the next academic year there can be a tuition freeze.

Reactions: 1 user
In the case of my school (public): The process of approving tuition rates is done in advance, thus for the following school year it will still be increased; however, we heard that for the next academic year there can be a tuition freeze.

This sounds highly unlikely (but maybe it’s true for that school). Schools have fixed costs, which are increasing, and the bills need to be payed. State governments are absolutely broke right now and making education cuts. Who is going to pay the difference for your school? Answer: students.

Yeah, my school is also like this-tuition is locked in already for 2020-2021. So no increase for us. For the year after that, though, I'm guessing there will be a spike (thankfully I won't be there anymore). Honestly, with each passing year from now on, Dental school looks less and less attractive compared to Medical school. Debt load is too high and salaries are lower than in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Imagine a school caring about you LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users