Dental Schools I'm applying To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalgirl00

Reaction score
I am looking for help deciding if these schools are worth applying to with my current stats. I have a 3.62 overall GPA and a 3.35 science GPA. I have about 110 shadowing hours and a lot of volunteering hours. The only thing is I don't think my recommendation letters will be too strong. I'm also taking the DAT in August and that's when I plan to submit my application. I'm also worried that may be too late. Here's my list:
Howard
Meharry
UNC
Tufts
BU
Temple
USC
UF (I'm a Florida resident)
UMichigan
UMD
Columbia
Western

(I am a minority: African American)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am looking for help deciding if these schools are worth applying to with my current stats. I have a 3.62 overall GPA and a 3.35 science GPA. I have about 110 shadowing hours and a lot of volunteering hours. The only thing is I don't think my recommendation letters will be too strong. I'm also taking the DAT in August and that's when I plan to submit my application. I'm also worried that may be too late. Here's my list:
Howard
Meharry
UNC
Tufts
BU
Temple
USC
UF (I'm a Florida resident)
UMichigan
UMD
Columbia
Western

Your GPA is a little low, so its important that you get a good DAT score. That being said, the public/state schools are going to be more competitive due to generally lower tuitions making them more appealing. If your academic states are less than average, you may be wise in also applying to some of the private schools like Midwestern, MOSDOH, ASDOH, LECOM, etc.

Also if you're able to, I'd recommend submitting your app already if capable (without DAT). There are tons of people in the same boat as you having not taken the DAT. Schools should be expecting delay in people taking DAT due to COVID.

This whole application cycle is going to be very different from years past thanks to COVID

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is a little low, so its important that you get a good DAT score. That being said, the public/state schools are going to be more competitive due to generally lower tuitions making them more appealing. If your academic states are less than average, you may be wise in also applying to some of the private schools like Midwestern, MOSDOH, ASDOH, LECOM, etc.

Also if you're able to, I'd recommend submitting your app already if capable (without DAT). There are tons of people in the same boat as you having not taken the DAT. Schools should be expecting delay in people taking DAT due to COVID.

This whole application cycle is going to be very different from years past thanks to COVID
A 3.62 gpa is low?

Reactions: 1 users
also like stated, start filling out the app and have everything in before the DAT.

UNC and USC are not too OOS friendly (>65% in state) and Columbia and Michigan have averages above your GPA. I wouldn't delete those since you can do really well on the DAT but I would apply more broadly to increase your chances.