Dental Schools in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2BSoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it easier to get accepted to Canadian dental schools? What about other dental schools in other countries? What do you have to do to get licensed once you're back in the states?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dr2BSoon said:
Is it easier to get accepted to Canadian dental schools? What about other dental schools in other countries? What do you have to do to get licensed once you're back in the states?

Thanks

I am not a dental student or candidate, but I should be enterin a Canadian med school next year.

1st there are no private dental schools here. Thus provincal government puts restrictions on out of canada (or out of province) applications depending on province.

In general Canadian med schools are extremely competitive to get into. Dental schools are even worse because there are fewer spots.

Your best bet would to check out dental schools in Ontario, Quebec and possibly Alberta. But I would imagine you have a far better chance in the US unless everything you have ever touched is perfect, including your DAT (and I mean PERFECT)

Dr2BSoon said:

Thanks

I agree with previous poster.
Here is something to think about. All seats for first year dental schools combined in Canada would equal to the number of seats dental schools in the state of NY can offer.
So, you have to be pretty good, you need at least a 3.7 overall GPA and 20s in the DAT to get an interview from a Canadian school. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
fever5 said:
I am not a dental student or candidate, but I should be enterin a Canadian med school next year.

1st there are no private dental schools here. Thus provincal government puts restrictions on out of canada (or out of province) applications depending on province.

In general Canadian med schools are extremely competitive to get into. Dental schools are even worse because there are fewer spots.

Your best bet would to check out dental schools in Ontario, Quebec and possibly Alberta. But I would imagine you have a far better chance in the US unless everything you have ever touched is perfect, including your DAT (and I mean PERFECT)
Do you know about american schooled dentists doing specialties in Canada? I was born and raised in Montreal, Canada, and I would love to do my specialty at McGill and then come back to SC to practice. Am I dreaming?

just to add to that, one thing to note is that this year's (cumulative) GPA requirement for acceptance at U of T is 3.86....

western's results won't be out yet until mid june

DB#1 said:
I agree with previous poster.
Here is something to think about. All seats for first year dental schools combined in Canada would equal to the number of seats dental schools in the state of NY can offer.
So, you have to be pretty good, you need at least a 3.7 overall GPA and 20s in the DAT to get an interview from a Canadian school. Good luck.