Dental students in BU or Nova, can you please give some much needed advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike DDS

Nova Southeastern University CDM C/O 2018!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am currently a senior in college and have proudly been accepted to both BU and Nova. My question is how is clinic experience at both schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you current students don't go to BU or Nova but have friends or just simply have information for that would be extremely helpful. Thank you

If these are your only acceptance, then congrats! Otherwise go to other schools. Do a search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances.

While all schools have their issues don't listen to Daurang, he's a jaded individual just look at his posts.

My girlfriend is a 4th year at BU and very happy with her clinical experience. She has just been accepted to a very good residency program as well.

Her top choice btw,

Two of her close friends have also matched to ortho and pedo (both very competitive specialities)

Congrats on your acceptances.

While all schools have their issues don't listen to Daurang, he's a jaded individual just look at his posts.

My girlfriend is a 4th year at BU and very happy with her clinical experience. She has just been accepted to a very good residency program as well.
Thank you @csafizadeh ! Oh wow that's amazing, congrats to her as well. Are you in dental school as well?

I think you need to look at cost difference and take into account cost of living. If its more than like $50k diff, u might as well pick the cheaper one. I think both schools have been rumored to have clinic problems in the past. You should contact current students at both schools.

ok, I will preface my post by saying that nova admins are known to come to sdn.

first, clinic at nova has not changed

many of the faculties still have favorites in terms of grading and in terms of who to help.

all the school cares about is money. also, most of the dental faculty at nova do not know what they are doing.

and of course, the graduation requirements are very low compared to other schools. Here at Nova, there is a culture in which they would rather hide a problem instead of correcting or finding ways to correct a problem.

many of the faculties still have favorites in terms of grading and in terms of who to help.

all the school cares about is money. also, most of the dental faculty at nova do not know what they are doing.

and of course, the graduation requirements are very low compared to other schools. Here at Nova, there is a culture in which they would rather hide a problem instead of correcting or finding ways to correct a problem.

This is coming from a student who was kicked out after his D1 year. He doesn't know what the clinic is like or what the requirements are like. Take his comments with a grain of salt.

My experience at nova aligned with bulovaindent.

Signed,
Someone who was not kicked out.

yes, of course, I don't know what this school was like huh???

yeah, we don't have clinical rotations D1 year in which we observe the work of d3/d4 students. and of course, none of the d3/d4 students ever finished screening for a patient for crowns... only to have their patient "referred" to the post grads b/c the postgrads needed the case.

and of course, I have never witnessed a phenomenon here at this school called "talk to Dr. so-and-so". in which the dental student is just outside of the school building and runs into the faculty member to talk to him or her to get out of a requirement.

oh, and almost after every project/assignment for sim lab, there is always a line of people/students who line up after the instructor trying to negotiate his or her grade to a higher grade. and guess what, some succeed while some do not.

and in sim lab, some faculty members have the nerves to ask one of the students for the person's phone number.

oh, wait, is this only one instance of unprofessional behavior?? what about a faculty member who tried to show me pics of the person's child on her smart phone during one of the tests??

Last edited:
one of my colleagues in the person's d4 year had to stay until june because he could find the right patients for srp.

Somebody said you were kicked out. So what are you doing now?

I went to Nova so I'll offer some tidbits of advice. Some very good faculty, actually take the time to get to know you and will help you out in so many ways. Some very poor faculty - this is probably common everywhere you go. You can develop a reputation and of course will be judged on that - once again, happens everywhere. Good facilities and beautiful school, great location. Fort Lauderdale offers a lot in terms of entertainment and fun. Faculty will work with you...I don't think its "easy" to get booted. Did I dislike any faculty? Of course - I learned to stay away from them..avoidance sometimes works well. As for the clinic, when I was there it was tough to get a chair. I think they may have changed this. They have satellite clinics available and rotations where you can knock out a lot of requirements if you work wisely. Good luck!