dentist and ortho education cost(s), general questions. Thanks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would this be a reasonable estimate of the costs of dental school if going to a decent/good public university?

4 years of dental school (decent/good public university) - 250-280k

What about at a good private university? 300k?

Is it worth it to pay more and go to a private dental school? At the end of the day, will whether you go to a public/private dental school affect your salary or your chance of getting hired (I plan on working for someone before opening my own office).

And what about ortho? You have to do another 2-3 years of residency correct?

What would be a reasonable estimate of those costs for ortho residency? 100-200k? I had someone tell me 333k for 3 years, so I am confused.

Also, is the difference in pay between ortho's and dentists worth the extra 3 years? Is it reasonable to expect 150-170k as a recent dental grad. while working for someone, and 250-400k if you open your own practice?
What about as an ortho? 250-300k+ if you open your own practice? Obviously I am not going into either solely for the money, but I'm not even in College yet, so I have no idea which I would prefer, or if I will even like dentistry, all I have right now to look at are salary #s.

And lastly,
Is it even worth it now, or is it too late? Many on here say that newer orthos can't even find work because theres too many orthos in most areas now, and many say dentists do not make much money at all nowadays, since there are too many of those. I've heard "Do not get into dentistry because you think you will make a lot of $, you won't" on here alot. I don't want to do it solely for the money, but I would like to make decent money, especially since a lot of my family lives in a 3rd world country and could really need the extra money I could be giving them.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.