Dentistry Mentoring Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Dai Phan

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Please feel free to ask me any questions about dentistry as a career and school/residency related issues. Please note that many of your answers can be found in the Dental Forum section also. Submit your inquiries and I will answer them promptly. I am glad to be at your service. DP

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Dr. can you please clarify whether residency is mandatory in -d-school or not? how do you apply for speciality programs? what are general requirements for specialities?
thanks.

In some few state(s), it is required that you complete a one year post graduate residency before you can get your state license. Please check with the states you want to practice in. Most states do not require you to do this however. There are nine specialties in dentistry and some are easier to get in than others. Oral surgery, orthodontics and endodontics are among the more difficult to get in. For these, high board scores (90 and up), class rank (upper 10%) and good recommendation from professors are a must. You apply for post graduate trainings in the fall of your senior year. To practice as a general dentist, no residencies are required unless the state that you are in requires it before they can grant the state license. DP

What classess a student should take to be well-prepared and to achieve high scores on every section of the DAT? Also, what is the application process for Dental School? Does the applicant have to fill out a PS, then secondaries like medical school?

Thanks for your help.

To get a good score on the DAT, you need to have good command of the general science principles. Do WELL on the required science classes will help. It will also help if you have good test taking skills. There are many books advising on taking multiple choice exams. Get your hands on as many DAT books and old released actual tests as you can and do them. There are only so many ways they can ask. The toughest part that people have is the PAT section. This will come naturally for some and a feat for others. The only way to improve the PAT is to know the rules, the tricks and do as many as you can. Getting high score in PAT section only comes with practice and there is nothing you can study for. First, take your time and get the answers right then speed up your speed. I personally think that PAT section does not predict how well a person will do in dentistry but unfortunatetly, it is one of the decieding tools for AC to pick the candidates.
Applying to dental school involves filling out the standard application with submission of your letters of recommendation, personal statement and your transcripts. I am not familiar with medical application process but I can't think it is much different. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions
Do you think there will always be a demand for dentists?
Do a lot of dentists complain about back and hand pain?
Do you know of any dentists that regret going to dentistry?
thank you

As with any health care professions, there will be always job opportunities. Simply look at the classified ads in the ADA journal or even in your hometown newspaper and you will see that job opportunties for dentists are abound. Now, did you know that it is getting tougher and tougher to get in dental schools nowdays? Do you know why? That is because more and more people discover that dentistry offers these attractive incentives:

1. Highly respected profession.
2. Income potential. I really don't know many dentists who don't have a six figure incomes.
3. Equal balance between job comittment and personal life.
4. Favorable job outlook.
5. Less schooling than medical counterpart (unless you plan to specialize).

You should also know that dental GP'S salary is starting to overcome that of many speciality physicians. Many of the top dental fields like oral surgery, orthodontics, endodontics, pedodontics are pulling serious salary comparable with some top medical specialties too. So you see, it is a "gold mine" career that people are starting to take notice.

Yes, some dentists complaint about back pain as well as eye and hearing loss. However, this is due to the fact that these dentists do not practice proper egornomics. Wearing loupes, having proper posture and industrial hearing protection (like the ones aircraft mechanics wear):laugh: will go a long way protecting your senses.

As with any fields, some will wish they do something else. The key is to know what you want before you commit. Dentistry deals mainly with the oral cavity so make sure that this is what you want. I really enjoy my choice because I can focus in one area and do it well. DP

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hello dr. phan~!

im interested in asking a few questions on here. i think it would be helpful first to know a little more about what your own background is so i can gauge what scope of questions you'd likely be able to help with. i'm sure you're well known around the dental forums, but im sorry, i haven't been a longtime visitor to sdn.

thank you, it would really help!!:)

This is my short background. I came from Vietnam as a boat person in 1980 and started 7th grade. After high school, I obtained a degree in aerospace engineering in 1989. I then got my DDS from UMKC in 1995 and completed six year post graduate training (3 residencies and one fellowship). I taught at the University of Tennesee in Memphis as an assistant professor of prosthodontics from 2001-2003. At this time, I am in Albuquerque working as a maxillofacial prosthodontist. I was a highschool teacher, dental students mentor, dental school teaching assistant, assistant professor and I frequent provide CE (continuing education) classes to other dentists in my specialty. DP

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Dr. Phan,

Thanks for volunteering to answer questions. I applied and was accepted into dental school for this upcoming fall. I'm going to be 26/27 when I start, and I'm looking at the costs and feeling a bit overwhelmed. Even though I will be attending a state school in CA, the projected costs after 4 years are still $250K!! Do you have any advice about how to handle dental school debt? I'm not sure what I want to do (private practice, specialize, etc) but it seems like it will be a long road before I can make a dent on student debt.

Also do you have any advice on how to decide on whether or not to specialize. It seems like most people go into school knowing if they want to specialize but I wanted to wait to see how I liked each specialty before making a decision. Is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I am very glad that you are on your way to an excellent career choice. No doubt professional schools are getting more and more expensive. However, you should know that everything will come with a price. I have a very comfortable income and that did not come to me if I did not put in the time, effort and money to make it happen. Sure 200K plus or 300K in some schools seem much but look at your salary when you finally become a dentist. Unless you really want to be poor, you should easily net 6 digit figures. Even in academics, the salary is about 70-80K for entry level faculty. And if you have your own practice, you should be able to net way higher than this. So yes, the school debt is high but it is small compared to what you will make. You really cannot go wrong investing in a degree that will give you ability to make serious money.

That being said, you still need to find the school that has the cheapest tuition. At the end a DDS is a DDS and no one cares if your school is expensive or not excepts you. Minimize your loans as much as you can and don't live lavisly while in school. I slept on the floor and rode the bus throughout my dental school days.

Regarding specializing, wait until you get into your third year. There are too many aspects of dentistry that are still unknown to you. Specializing does not always guarantee higher income as I know many of my classmates (GPs) making at least 3-4 times as much as I do. If you go into specialty, do it because you like the field, not of how much you can make. DP

Dr. D,

Here's the deal, when it comes to decisions I am the last person you want get advice from. I've never been good at it.
I am currently a rising sophomore at the University of Pennsylvania and I'm considering dentistry as a career because I feel like its the perfect opportunity to make money and help people. However, on the other hand I do not want to spend the rest of my life looking at teeth and want to do something "world-ly" or "global" so to speak. [I am Korean but was born and raised in Panama and received my education at an international school, hence this appeals to me].
So, ultimately, my question is...throughout your career as a dentist, do you find yourself stuck or in any way too absorbed by the boundaries of your dental clinic or office? I have been on a pre-dental track so far, but need to make a decision now if I want to continue with that or not.

You are not alone in asking this question. I am glad that you take the time to investigate further about pursuing dentistry. As you know, dentistry is helping people, bring a great deal of satisfaction and can make a hell of an income too. In my field (maxillofacial prosthodontics) I help people to regain their facial appearances, their ability to talk and eat as well as treating their dental disease. It has been extremely rewarding career for me. I really do not think I would be happier if I were a physician or a lawyer or anything along that line. As it is appealing to me and many many others, dentistry is not for everyone however. For some may find working in the oral cavity is too limited. Some are seeking for the ultimate prestige status and dentistry simply cannot provide that "requirement" as long as there are physicians on the planet. What they fail to realize is that dentistry is just like medicine where we take care a part of the body just like the eye or other parts of the body. DP

I had a follow-up to the question someone else asked about specializing. You said that one should worry about specializing until their 3rd year. Is it true that you need to graduate at the top of your class to be eligible for specialty school? If this is so wouldn't it be a little late for the person who suddenly decided to specialize in their third year to accelerate past her fellow classmates? Thank you for taking the time to read my question Dr. Dai Phan.

When you start dental school, you will hear over and over from some of your classmates that " I will specialize in this and I will specialize in that". This will occur likely in first few weeks of school! You may even find yourself in the same situation. However, as school work becomes more and more busy, that thought of specializing quickly takes a backstage and your only then thought is to make it through the lab work and exams. You will then see that the ones that are bragging about "becoming orthodontist or surgeons" may no longer have interest in their quest. Perhaps they realize that they are not making the grades or simply "burn out" from school. Some then realized that they would rather be GPs or some who never thought about specializing suddenly wanted to specialize (like me). My point here is that as you go through school and exposed to different disciplines, your mind will change quickly. So don't focus too much about specializing but put your attention on doing well in all your classes and get high board scores. Then if you do deciede to specialize, you will be in the position to do so.

There are 9 specialties in dentistry and some are darn hard to get in and others are very easy. Regardless of the specialty, you need to have at least above average GPA, class rank and Board scores to get in. Specialties such as oral surgery, orthodontics and endodontics are very competitive so you must be one of the top people in your class to get a slot although there are some who got in with average stats. DP

Hi Dr. Phan,

I am a junior and recently..I found out that I have interest in dentistry..
And I like how flexible dentist's lifestyle is..I am interested in getting MPH with DDS.

I am planning to apply next spring..since my overall GPA is around 3.5 and science GPA is low 3.0 and will be taking DAT class this summer..study hard for it whole summer. Also I will start shadowing this summer and volunteering in the fall..and taking more classes to boost my GPA up.

Do you think I am in an okay shape?
I know it is very hard..to say now..but give me some tips/encouragement, please :D

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

At this time it is impossible for me to determine your chance of getting to dental school because you still have not completed your DAT. Your science is definitive low and you really need to get it up. By all means, you really need to get a BS since the number of people who got in without degrees is very small. These people have exceptional credentials. To determine your competitiveness for a particular school, look at the school's stats for entering class. If your GPA and DAT scores are at the same level, then I say you have a very good chance. DP

Dear Dr. Phan, I am applying to dental school now and I have some questions for you. Since most of us will be in debt after we graduate from dental school, do you recommend starting a practice right away? I think it will cost a whole lot because we will be getting a larger loan on top of the first loan. But are there many job openings for dentists before they can open their own practice? And how much does a practice cost on average?
Thanks very much.

That is a very common question that newly grads ask. I for once debated if I should open a private practice and have another fresh debt when I finished school. The answer all depends on you. I have personally known some newly grads open their own practice right away while others decieded to work for the goverment or private sectors as associates for a few years. If you know that you want your own office, I suggest you work as associates first to gain clients, reputation and skills before you get a loan for a private practice. Sooner or later, you will have to borrow for your office so there is no way around that. Yes, there are job openings abound for newly grads. Some are "slave drivers" while others are excellent employers like the goverment or Indian Health Services or the Armed Forces. I believe that the fastest way to pay off your debt is to have your own practice and excell at it. DP

Dr. Dai Phan,
I was wondering if you could say something about if there is a good way to test whether someone has the necessary hand skills to be a good dentist. In my own case I have self percieved shaky hands and want to know if there is a way for me to know if I will have the fine motor skills to consider dentistry as a career. Thanks.

One of the concerns with predental or starting dental students is " Do I have the manual dexterity for dentistry?" Before I answer this, rest assured that people who had to quit dentistry because they do not have the manual skill is extremely low. Trust me, it's rare! Dental school dropouts are either plain lazy or ones who just could not handle the academic load rather than " I just don't have the skill". Manual dexerity for dentistry is a learned skill rather than aquirred. If you have a medical condition that causes rattling, shaky hands, then I would seek professional help to treat this condition. However, if you can draw a relatively straight line or can floss your teeth without difficulty, you will be fine. DP

hello Doc.

how many hours does an associate general dentist have to work per week to net 100k per year? And how many hours does an general dentist owning a practice have to work per week to net 100K per year? I know the hours may vary depending on location and practice philosophy. I am just looking for ballpark numbers. Thanks!

This answer is very difficult to answer because it depends on how much a person can produce. Some see 12-15 patients a day or more while some could only do 5 or 6. If you work from 8-5 five days a week, you should be able to net at least 100K if you have your own office. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Dr. Phan! First, thank you so much for coming here and helping us out! :) I am a very adventurous person who loves travelling. I have some many "dreams" of travelling to different parts of the world when I'm still young. However, college workload and the "four-yr-plan" kinda hinders me from fulfilling me dream. I'm desperate to get in dental school, but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on travelling around the world.

Here's my question: Do you recommend people like me to take time in undergrad and do as many fun things and travel as much as we want before coming to dental school? Or do you think it's better to study very hard and make sure to get into dental schools first? However, once you graduate from dental schools, you have to work more to pay off loans. By the time, you really earn enough money for yourself, are you already somewhat "old" (No offense here.) to enjoy a lot of things?

Have you ever regretted that you worked SO HARD that you've missed out on a lot of things that normal colleges do?

Thank you VERY much!

I am glad I can be of service to you. Take my advice for this. PLAN AHEAD WORK HARD then RELAX. While you are still young, take the advantage of your fresh energy to go to school, make good money then travel. It would be much nicer to have money while traveling than not having enough. Don't worry about not having enough time to travel as you still have plenty left. If you have fun now and study later, you will find out that it will be much more difficult to return back to school. DP

Hello Dr. Phan, I'm a foriegn graduate and I'm interested in applying for certificate with or without MS in Prosthodontics. Can you please give me an Idea of whats like to be in a program like that. Do you have to stay lond hours working in the lab?? I have a family & I want to manage my time the right way.Your help is appreciated
Thank you:thumbup:

To do a residency in prosthodontics is to spend the next three years doing heavy lab work into evenings and weekends. Why? That is because you can only gain understanding about the laboratory procedures through doing the lab work yourself. Some programs are into heavy lab work while others are not. Call the programs and inquire. I suggest you choose a program that requires lab work because you will be better trained if you know the intricacies of these procedures. DP

Hi Dr. Phan,

This is short question. What kind of dental knowledge should one have before entering an Dental Admission interview?

You are required none about dental knowledge as far as procedures go but you MUST know why dentistry is appealing to you. Please please do NOT tell the AC that you want to go into dentistry because you want to reconstruct people's face like the oral surgeon! Those kinds of statements MAY make them think that you are more into medicine and can thus hurt your application. I still remembered in my first year dental school, there was a guy who always had a stethescope in his pocket or on his neck. Well he didn't last long and winded up in medical school after a year in dental school. DP

Dr. Phan,
I am also a Viet. Our family came here on H-O status. I came here when I was a fifth grader. I'll be a D1 at UNC-Chapel Hill in August. I live in North Carolina, but in the future I want to go to New York, Cali, or Texas to practice. I know there are tons of Viet dentists in those places, do you think it is a wise idea since there will be fierce competion? Where do you recommend a viet fellow to practice in the future? I know race is a factor when you go out in the real world, is there any other advice you have for me? PM me if you prefer. Thanks.

This is a very good question as I can relate to it. When I started dental school 17 years ago, I have heard countless comments from my asian friends and family members that " Oh, you are asian, you will hard time having white patients... You better find a Vietnamese community or else you go broke.." or " People only like to go to their kind..". Well, what I found out is that was total total bunk! True, asian patients may feel more comfortable with asian dentists but that is NOT to say that asian dentists could only attract asian patients. When I had my faculty practice at the University of Tennessee at Memphis, my patients range from all races and ethenic backgrounds. What patients are looking for is somebody with reputation of doing excellent dentistry and not of skin color. When you set up a practice, find a location that allows you to be " a big fish in a little pond". If it happens to be in an asian community then be it. If not, then that's perfectly fine too. Do NOT get into the myth that "asian dentists could only attract asian patients" as I personally have dispelled that misconception. So the moral of story is race is not a factor. What factors in is what you can do for your patients. DP

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Dr. Pahn,

I am trying to decide whether to apply for the 2008 or 2009 entering dental class. I have recently decided to switch careers from accounting to dentistry. Before studying accounting, I was a bio-chem major and so took most of the pre-reqs, which was around 3-5 years ago. The only pre-reqs I have left are o-chem II w/ lab and my second physics lab.

If I apply for 2008, I'll have about 1.5-2 months to study full-time for the DAT before taking it in late August/early September. Also, I haven't submitted my app yet to AADSAS, which I would do in early July. I would take the remaining required courses in the fall. I have a 3.8 cum. GPA, and my science so far is around 3.5. I have a B.S. in accounting and also some graduate level coursework specializing in taxation. By the end of the summer, I'm planning on having around 40 hours of dentist shadowing.

So I have a couple questions for you. I'd like to get in by 2008 so I don't lose a year, but everything I've read suggests that applying/taking the DAT so late will hurt my chances. What do you think? Also, do you think 1.5-2 months of full-time studying will prepare me adequately to take the DAT assuming I don't remember much from my courses? Basically, if I know my chances aren't going to be high of getting in for 2008, I want to slow the process down and wait a year to apply. I'd appreciate any insight you have.

Thanks!

Let's consider this case. You will finish all the requirements in fall with good grades and score suprisingly well on DAT (for only short time of preparation). However, by the time you submitt your application, it will be in January or latter which is not good for you since your application is late. You can try and it is possible that you can get in for next year. However, just delay one year where you can prepare the DAT well and apply early for the 09 cycle, I say you will have better chance than this cycle simply because you 'll have more time to study, your chance of scoring well on DAT is good and you can get your application in early. I suggest you pick up some books on the DAT and see how you do on practice tests. If you struggle (especially with the PAT), I think you better wait. Waitting a year is nothing in the whole picture. Sometimes rushing it will end up with poor DAT, rejections from dental schools and not to mention the wasted money. DP

Hi Dr.
I heard that many oral surgeons go for an M.D. these days. Is this true, and if it is, are there any MD/DDS programs out there?

This reply is based on my best knowledge about this field. Perhaps someone in the Residency forum (OMFS) can also chime in on this.

There are programs that are 4 year track (certificate) and 6 year (certificate and a MD degree). I recently know some who are into 4 year program and some that are in 6 year track. Some prefer the MD program while some others see no need for it. Having the MD degree does not make you a better surgeon than the ones without it as both will recieve the same amount of surgical experience (OMFS) in their residency training. I do not have the data regarding percentage of people who choose MD vs. non-MD track. Unless the person with the MD who actually have gone on further and did something with that degree, don't let him/her tell you that " I am a better surgeon than you because I have the MD and you don't". From my personal experience with some OMFS/MDs who did NOT pursue any further addtional training with the MD degree, they all told me that besides the "better public perception", that degree has done nothing as far as contributing to their overall knowledge of the oral and maxillofacial surgical techniques. DP

Hello all predental students,

If you have some "issues" in your personal statement or in your academic career that you may find it a bit difficult to explain to the AC, please PM and I will help you the best I can so you don't stumble at the interview. In addition, I will be happy to look over your personal statement and make suggestions. When you send it to me to read, please make sure that it is your best effort (correct grammar, spelling....). Also, make your statement short but detailed and to the point. The AC read hundreds of these and 4 page long personal statement will bore them really fast. Looking foward to helping you all! DP:)

I am a rising junior at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, pursuing a major in chemistry. My cumulative GPA right now is only a 2.7/4.0. It is next to impossible, it seems, to make an A here, due to an invisible grading curve and insanely rigorous classes. I made a calculation that if I get A's in all my junior year classes, I will be able to achieve a 3.2/4.0 by the summer before my 4th year. I have not taken the DAT yet. My questions for you are as follows:

1. What are your suggestions for my low GPA?
2. How much emphasis do dental schools place on clinical experience?
3. Any general comments and advice will really help me focus the task at hand... I'm really pretty confused right now.

Thanks! :oops:

Your priority is to improve your GPA to at least a 3.2. Take fewer classes per semester and do well in them. Also take some easy classes that can boost your GPA up. If you are graduating soon and there is no time for additional classes, enroll in a Masters program. Getting a Masters is a big help if your credentials are weak. Pick a field that gives you the best GPA possible. In addition, scoring well (a must if you have low GPA) will help on the DAT.

You do need some clinical experience by shadowing your dentist. Check with the schools to see what the requirements are. Also volunteering at local dental clinic will help too.

You need to motivate yourself to do this and it is not easy. There is no magic drug or formula that can do it for you. Slow down on the partying, re-evaluate your success and failures and think of ways to correct them. As I suggested, take fewer classes but do well on them. Nowadays, applicants with stellar GPA/DAT scores win in majority of the cases. DP

Dear Dr. D.P.
First of all, let me begin with my deep appreciation toward your kindness in answering my inquiry here.
I have a question about practicing in "underserved" area with limitied license.
According to the NY state dental board, foreign dental graduates without green card who received addtional training in US can get a limited license that allow them to practice in designated areas(those in shortage of dentists)by state/federal government.
My question is...once a foreign trained dentist completes additional training in the U.S. and acquire this "limited license", does she/he practice as a state/federal employee in designated area or establish a private clinic in those restricted areas. Do you happen to know typical duty of "community dentist" and salary levels?
Also, what do you think about the two-year AEGD program for international dentists at U of Rochester? Just by looking at their curriculum posted on their website, it looked one of the best I have researched so far.
Thank you very much for your time in answering my inquiry. Have a nice day!:)

I am afraid I do not know much about your inquiry about foreign graduates working in the US in the underdeserved areas. You may want to post this question in the International section in the Dental forum. You should also call NY state and inquire. U of R has a good AEGD program from what I have heard. I am afraid I can't give any more info. because this area is out of my expertise. DP

Hello Dr. Phan,

Thank you very much for helping with this forum. It is sincerely appreciated. My question is about academic dentistry. I have completed my dental school application for the entering year 2008 and have already recieved one letter of invitation for interview. I wrote in my PS that I am wanting to enter the academic side of dentistry. My reason for wanting to do this is because I have enjoyed my current position as an undergraduate teaching assistant while in school (I graduate with BS this coming May). I know the salary is considerably lower then in practice but what are the advantages of pursuing this type of career path as oppsoed to practice? Is it easy to practice and teach simultaneously? One of the criticisms that I have heard from current dental students that I have spoke with is that their instructors (especially clinical instructors) are not expeienced enough clinically on their own part and are teaching (relatively younger professors). So then, is it possible to obtain a professor position as new dental graduate? Lastly, do you think that research is a necessity if I want to pursue academic dentistry? Thank you very much and I look forward to your response.

Thank you for asking a very good question. If you look at the faculty in your school, you will see that most are in later of their careers. That means there are very few young faculty and in a few years, many of them would have moved on to different endevors. The reason is that in academic, the salary is much lower than in private sector. A person graduating from DS will have about 200K in debt so on teaching salary, it would be tough to make ends meet. However, some go into teaching straight from DS while they are waiting to buy a practice or is applying for specialty. In other words, teaching gives them the temporary "lodging" . I have know many of my former students who did this. Regarding the notion that people go into teaching because they could not hack it in the real world is a myth. The truth is not that they could not hack it but rather "I wouldn't want to hack it". Some are willing to accept a lower salary but there is no hassle of running a private practice.

I left teaching because I could not sustain on a 60,000 a year with 265K student loan. I loved teaching and I can say with certainty that I had spent more time with my students than anyone there but the truth is that I do like to live in a house and not an apartment eventually. There is not a single day that went by without me thinking of going back to teach.

There are jobs opening abound for faculty positions. If you are a prosthodontist or GP, you will see that there are jobs abound for you. There are so many openings that you can get the job without much dificulty. However, if you are looking at the rank of associate professor or chairman, you need to have years of experience behind you. As a fresh graduate, most likely you will be at the rank of instructor or assistant professor.

Yes, you can have a private practice if you are part time faculty. It is very common to have part time faculty come and teach on the day they are off (usually Fridays). However, if you are a full time faculty, that possibility is very low. You are required to be in school most days of the week that there is no time or energy left to run a practice. However, all schools have "faculty practice" that you can work while teaching although you are allowed at the very most one day a week. I was allowed 4 hours a week in my faculty practice.

You do not need to do research if you are not on tenured track position. However, to become tenured (permanent job employment at the school), you have to do research and have them published. You are given about 6 years to get tenured. If you are denied, then you have to leave the school and look elsewhere. DP

Dear Dr Dai Phan,

Can you please share your opinion on the future of dentistry? Ive been reading more and more about dental insurance and socialized dentistry...This seems to be our future, is this a bad thing for dentistry? Does this mean the profession is going to become deregulated? What will this do to the financial stability and coveted family lifestyle? Do you see dentistry in Walmart like the field of Optometry and pharmacy? Also, i understand that the ADA is being pressured into accrediting foreign dental schools. This seems to be a bad thing but I am unsure why, can you please explain? Most importantly, what can we do to help? thank you in advance Dr Dai Phan.

The future of dentistry is very bright. People are more and more aware of their oral health that no doubt, dentistry will be a lucrative profession for decades to come. Those makeover TV shows demonstrate how important a smile is and how people are willing to go for it. Who can tell the future of socialized dentistry but I don't think it will be here anytime soon. So far, it has been talks and speculations but I have not seen any evidence that it is taking place. Regarding dentistry being in a place like Walmart's optometry and pharmacy, I doubt that will happen. I think that many dentists do not like to associate their dental practices next to a hamburger stand as it does not portray a very professional image. Dentistry is a surgical field and to have it in a retail store just does not make sense. I am sure that if this is to be a trend, I am sure other medical specialties like podiatry or dermatology will have their offices among us too. I am not aware that ADA is thinking about accrediting foreign dental schools at all. But if they do, I am sure that these foreign graduates have to pass rigourious tests before they can be allowed to practice in the US. DP

:)hello dr phan,

i have really been having a tough time with the whole undergraduate and dental school thing. i thought i was behind in my biological science degree after switching from business but today i found out that i'm right where i need to be if not a little ahead. so i was thinking that i would take a year to go to graduate school and get my mba instead of going straight to dental school and trying to get my mba afterwards. i feel if i'm going to be running my own practice i should have some experience in terms of the business aspect of things. would it be a good or a bad thing for me to go to graduate school then dental school?? i was planning on taking the dat before i took the gmat test so i wouldn't have a chance to forget all the important science stuff. how long do they keep your dat scores of file because the graduate program is only 16 months and i dont want to sacrifice one for the other.

Hello,

If you have decent GPA (3.3 or above) and have completed the classes requirements for dental school, then I would go ahead and plan on taking the DAT. Plan it well so you will have your DAT score and your BS at the time you apply. Also give your professors plenty of time to write you some good letters too. Regarding the MBA, you do NOT need it to run a succesul practice. Sure that degree would be great if you plan to be a director of a dental firm in the future but please don't think about getting it to run your office. That would be a waste of resourses. Now, enrolling in a graduate school is an excellent option if you have weak credentials (low GPA, DAT scores). An advanced degree would certainly help if it is needed. DP

hello dr phan i was just wondering do dental schools look down on students that retake classes if you failed or made c's? i currently have a gpa sub 3.0 but once i retake to classes that i failed and make a 4.0 this fall i will be back in the 3.0 range. would it be frowned upon if i took a few easy courses such as: art, music or an athletic class to boost my gpa. i really don't want to take any more science courses especially if they are considerd "for fun".

one more question if a person have maybe a 3.3 gpa what score would they need to get on the DAT to have a chance of acceptance???

Certainly classes with lower than Bs will not look good on the transcripts. You need to retake the classes that you have made lower than Cs. You also may want to retake some classes with Cs if there are bunch of them. You need to get your GPA up by all means! Can you take some easy classes (I call them buffer courses) to boost your GPA? Of course you can. But spread them out rather than taking two straight semesters worth of ballroom dancing! This however should not be your priority as low grades in core science classes will stick out like a sore thumb! Focus your efforts on the retakes and getting as high as possible on the DAT score. DP

Dear Dr. Dai Phan,

I am a older student and have been considering dentistry as a career. My question pertains to the use and abuse of hands. How physically demanding is it on the body? Do you know of dentists developing arthritis? If so, how has it impacted their work? Is this common and should one consider this when choosing dentistry? Thank you.

Hello,

No doubt dentistry is a physical and mentally demanding profession. It requires patience, critical thinking and willingness to pay attention to details. You use all of your senses in treating the patient. However, with proper posture you can practice dentistry "pain free". With loupes. proper lighting condition, proper postures and hand positioning, you can expect to practice dentistry without risk of bodily harm. Scheduling your procedures works too. I do not schedule two intensive procedures straight in a row as this can make you tired quickly. "Sandwich" easy procedures between difficult ones helps immensely. I know some dentist with hand problems but that was due to old age rather than from the profession. DP

Hello all first year Dental Students,

You have worked hard to get where you are today and you should be proud of what you have achieved. You are in the right path to this exciting and stellar career. I am going to offer some tips that make your dental school experience as rewarding and exciting as possible.

Do’s:

1. Plan ahead.

One thing about Dental school is that once you are behind, it will be very difficult to catch up as exams and lab work will be piled upon you mercilessly. Look at your schedules for exams, lab work due dates and start preparing for them from day one. Do NOT wait until the night before since there were some who tried this method had failed miserably in my dental class!

2. Set up a scheduled time to study.

Give yourself at least two hours each day to review the notes taken in class. You will see that reviewing the notes after the lectures will make your studying for the exam much easier later on. This is especially true for classes with enormous lecture notes. An hour worth of lecture should not require more than 20 minutes reviewing if you do it right away. If you wait a week later on, it will take you much longer since you have already forgotten what was explained in class.

3. Take notes even if you have note taking service.

Note taking service is an adjunct to your own notes and NOT the substitute. Do you rely on the person who takes the notes to give you what was said in class with complete faith? When I taught at UT, I reviewed and made addendum to the notes submitted by the taker. I can tell you that there were excellent takers who got everything (including my jokes and coughs) and there were some who had no clue what I was rambling about.

4. Ask for clarifications right after class.

Nothing more frustrating than reading lecture notes that don’t make sense. A simple half a page note can take hours to decode if you have no understanding what it means. Don’t wait a week later but ask them right after the lecture when the massive confusion is still fresh in your mind. It is better to have it explained right there and then rather than be confused and have nobody to call at midnight before the morning exam!

5. Get your hands on old examinations.

Some professors release old exams and that will give you the idea of the question’s style. Look and see how closely the questions are related to what is covered in class. That way you can see how closely the professors follow what he lectures in class. In some rare cases, many professors will give exact questions and answers that you can score easily (I call these “freebies”) if you had them beforehand to review. Some may even use the exact same released examination without changing a single word. Surely you don’t want to miss out on this one!

6. Be respectful to your professors.

Nothing more insulting than to show up to class late or talking or sleeping while the professors are lecturing. Putting together a lecture is an enormous task and it will show them great insult if you act like you prefer to be somewhere else. Sure we all have that moment but please don’t act like you were just handed a thirty year sentence fresh. It is better not to show up at all than to show up late. Trust me, if at the end you are a single point away from the next grade, the ones who are courteous and grateful will have the benefits of the doubt than ones who didn’t care.

7. Be respectful to your classmates.

The team players will have good karma coming to them if they once helped others. Try to help your struggling classmates and be willing to share notes with others. You will see that in time of need, you will have heavenly sent coming to you. You are going to live with your classmates in the next four years so don’t be an outcast.

8. Dress appropriately.

You are no longer college bound surfing bushy bushy blond hair dude but a professional to be. That mentality should start from day one until the day you graduate into your career. It reflects on your class, yourself and the impression that the professors will have on you.

9. Develop a clean working habit.

In the laboratory sessions, soon your bench will be littered with wax, carving instruments, i pods and anything in between. Clean organized work stations will yield better work results. It is the same as in the car repair shop. Would you feel comfortable taking your car to a repair shop that looks like a junk yard for repair?

10. Put your name on everything!

First year students are always looking for their missing instruments. With hundreds of exactly looking mirrors and explorers, you can see anything is for anyone to claim. I used to put a red tape on all my laboratory instruments and I could see the agony on those who didn’t.

Don’ts:

1. Don’t procrastinate.

The first few weeks in Dental school will be a breeze. But this is the calm before the storm. Dental school work is completely different from college. The later allowed you to pick and choose your schedule but in DS, you are given a task to complete whether you like it or not. Sure you maybe the one who can score an A by an “all nighter” studying but I can assure you that there are plenty who can’t. Don’t learn the hard way. Once you are behind, it is really tough to catch up. There is only so much you can stuff in your brain.

2. Don’t tell others of your specializing plan.

There are too many aspects of dentistry that are still unknown to you and waiting to be discovered. A year or so from now, you may not have the intention to do what you had planned. You by then may not even have the grades to do what you told others you would do. That would be down right embarrassing you think? If you do want to get a spot in your school’s orthodontic program four years from now, built up your credentials quietly and then deliver when ready! Don’t advertise yourself to a jealous classmate who wants the same thing. Nobody wants to have a competitor for that coveted spot so don’t expose yourself.

3. Don’t try to be a “teacher’s pet”.

If you want to get that oral surgery spot in your school, you certainly want to get to know your oral surgery faculty “better”. How? By paying extra attention to them? Giving them complements? Telling them your ultimate goal? Giving them “high fives” ten times a day? Spending fives hours a day in program director’s office? No, that is not the way I say. Professors can spot “butt kissers” easily as well as from your classmates. You get “noticed” by working hard, show respect to you teachers, classmates and do well in your classes. Now, that’s the way.

4. Don’t sweat with your grades.

Remember that at the end, a dentist is a dentist regardless of your class rank. Don’t let a small setback affect your future tasks. There are so many opportunities to make up for that poor grades so yes, it will be always next time. The thing to know here is that “next time” is not unlimited. Use your supply wisely! Always try to do your best. Who knows you may want to specialize at the end and wish you could have done a little bit better.

5. Don’t challenge your professors.

There are times that you may want to “do him in the parking lot” that but my advice to you is to “suck it in”. Trust me; you do not want to be on your professor’s “black list”. He maybe wrong but he still gives you the grades. Until you graduate, be smart and don’t put yourself in a place that you can’t get out. If he asks you to jump, then say “How high?”, then once done say “May you ask me that again please?”

6. Don’t pick and choose your professors.

You need to work with as many of them as you can. Utilize what they have to offer. The students who only want to work with “easy” professors (who sign off anything) will no doubt put you at a disadvantage when you face clinical boards. You may then realize you had it too easy in dental school and that did not prepare you enough for passing the clinical tests. I personally have seen this happened.

7. Don’t cheat!

Academic dishonesty is a big “No No” and that will get you dismissed in a hurry leave alone the embarrassment to your family and generations to come. In such a high pressure environment, sometimes you may want the easy way out but I can tell you that it ain’t worth it. So please don’t even think about this one.

8. Don’t always accept an answer without proper explanations.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, don’t be afraid to ask for guidance or help. If you feel what is asked of you is unreasonable, by no means ask the professor to give you a small demonstration. This shows that you are not willing to accept without reason and this also will help you learn. Everything procedure you do MUST have a reason behind it and you need to question TACKFULLY if what you’re instructed to do does not agree with your thinking.

9. Don’t be mean to your dental assistant.

These people are pros at what they do and they can make or break your clinical experience. Treat them with respect and don’t feel offended to hear them offering you advice. You are here to learn and the patient knows that. Ones who stop listening are ones who stop learning.

10. Don’t struggle.

If you feel overwhelmed with school work, by all means ask for help. Loosing a student is the last thing the administration wants to happen. It reflects badly on the school not to mention the loss of revenue. If you find difficult to complete a project, ask upper class members or the professors to help you. Don’t just sit there and repeat the mistakes over and over. Go over there and ask for help even after school. Any professor who loves to teach will go the extra miles to help you pass the class and complete the project on time.

There you have it. Enjoy the ride! DP

Hi Dr. Phan,

Do you advise I take Microbiology, phys 2, Organic 1 and Calculus simultaneously? I have never taken Organic or microbiology before. The Organic 1 offered at my school doesn't have lab with it. My current GPA is 3.36. I just came back to school last semester after a long break. I have only take Bio1, phys1, Chem1 (1st semester) and precal this June...

Thank you,

That all depends on your ability to handle difficult classes. That schedule seems hard to me. You should check with the past students to see how difficult those classes are. If you see that it is easily to get good grades in them then by all means take them now. If one of them is very hard, I would either reduce my load or find a different instructor. You need to work your schedule that gives you the best chance of getting As and Bs. Nowadays, people with stellar GPA/DAT score win. DP

Hi Dr. Phan,

As an incoming freshman dental student, I have a couple of questions which I hope you can elaborate in regards to specializing.

Although at this moment I would be more than happy to graduate as a competent dentist, specailzing is something which intrigues me the more I read about it. So here are my questions:

(1) As a prosthodontist yourself, do you feel like the profession is redundant? The reason why I like general dentistry is the scope of procedures you can do (crowns, bridges, root canals, cavities, etc.) As a specialist, you are sort of limited as to what you can do, right? (Meaning, there are certain procedures that specialists cannot do?)

(2) Can you elaborate in a general sense some of the procedures you normally do as a prosthodontist? What can prosthodontists do that general dentsits cannot? Do you see a variety of cases in your patients, or is it mainly people coming in for cosmetic purposes?

(3) What is the average salary of a prosthodontist?

Thank you for your time and input.

To answer your questions.

A) Prosthodontics is not a redundant specialty. A prosthodontist is a restorative dentist and since the majority of dental procedures is restorative in nature, prosthodontist will NEVER have problems of finding patients. While it is true that many prosthodontists get patients referred by GPs, they can also get their own patients too unlike endodontists that heavily rely on GP referral. As a specialist, if you advertise yourself legally as a prosthodontist, you should limit yourself to restorative procedures and not do endo, ortho or oral surgery procedures. However, if you are a specialist but do not advertise yourself to such, then you can do any dental procedures you wish.

B) Prosthodontist provides treatment in restorative cases where the GPs feel that it is beyond their ability to treat properly. Example would be full mouth reconstruction, denture cases with difficult ridges, patients with oral defects. The type of patients I see range from the normal uncomplicated to very complex cases (patients with missing part of the jaw or missing tounge or roof of mouth).

C) According to the ADA, prosthodontist net in upper 200s. DP

Dr. Dai Phan,

I have a quick question regarging my undergraduate grades. My first year as an undergrad I made C's in both bio1 and bio2, however the next year i made A's in both Chem1, Chem2, and Genetics. My current gpa is 3.7 overall and 3.2 science. My question is that as long as i keep my grades up from here on out, do u think my 2 C's (only ones i have) could play a major role in keeping my out of dental school? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you have to worry about the two C's as long as your science GPA is good. I would try to get it to a 3.5 to be competitive. Try not to have anymore of these. Your overall GPA is really good. DP

Thank Dr. Phan...

I will probably replace calculus 1 with a one credit course or an easier course. Without the calculus, it's only 11 credits and I need to be a full-time student.

Also Dr. Phan, how do I PM you if I need your help in looking over my personal statement? I am new to this forum...

Thank you again..

You can email me at [email protected]. DP

Last edited:
I have a question regarding masters programs. My gpa is pretty low so I was thinking of getting a masters degree to strengthen my application. Does the type of degree matter (should it be a science degree, because I am also interested in public health)? Also, would thesis or non-thesis help me more, one year or two year? I was also wondering if I should apply to dental school while getting my masters or if i should wait until it is completed. Thank you so much for any advice.

Since your GPA is weak (how weak?), I certainly would recommend a Masters program. That's a sure way to get your GPA up. I would choose a non-thesis approach since with this approach, you can have a better prediction of when you will complete your MS program. With a thesis, you have to finish and defend it so it may extent longer than you expect. Check with your graduate advisor to see the time line for completion for either program path. From my experience in engineering school (a long time ago), non-thesis approach required more classes to take than the other option. I would choose a field that can strengthen your credentials as well as providing solid foundation in science classes. A science field would be appropriate. This would help to keep you "update" for the DAT. For me, I would wait after my MS is completed since why spend the money to go through graduate school and not get an extra degree after your DDS? Don't be in a rush since a year or couple years extra is very small in the whole picture. Regarding the one year or two year program MS ( is there an one year MS program?), calculate the GPA from your graduate school and undergrad to see what the result will be. You may have to take more classes even in the two year program to make your GPA adequate. Aim for at least a 3.4 GPA. DP

I am 31yrs old and have been considering Dentistry for the last couple of years. I have already graduated with my Masters in Clincal Social Work and have enjoyed working with people. Although there has been alot of satification with my career choice so far I have also come to the conclusion that I need to start thinking about my future and what I want for my children. I have a freind that completed Dentistry 2yrs ago and others that have enjoyed there new professions. I have heard that the pay would be great upon graduating from Dental School but the heavy student loans worry me as I have a family to provide for. What would you recommend in terms of preparation for Dental School. I would be taking the prerequisite courses that are required (depending on the school). Also another worry that I have is my age. I would probably apply in a couple of years which would put me around 33-34yrs of age. Do most schools frown on age of applicants and if so are there are that don't as much. Anyways these are some of my worries at this point. Thanks for all of the advice that you have given too this forum:)

It is great that you consider dentistry as a carreer! You have many things going for you. First, your advanced degree in social work will serve you well since dentistry deals with people interaction on a daily basis and also not to mention the education that you have gone through. Second, your age means maturity and that shows that you don't consider switching career at an impulse. These factors play well on your dental school application. You do not need to worry about the student loans because your salary will be good enough that can offset the cost of paying back monthly balance. Getting a dental degree is a virtually no risk investment. Do you think those orthodontists raking in big bucks now did not spend big dollars paying for dental school in the past? Everything comes with a price unless you are lucky enough to win the lotto. I suggest you look at what the requirements are, see what you have taken , take whatever you need to take and then study for the DAT. Based on your experience, you should be able to put out an interesting personal statement as well (another big plus). The question I have for you is do you have a good GPA? It is getting more and more competitive nowadays to get in.DP

My overall GPA is around a 2.8 at this point. The last year of study was a 3.6. I had a rough first year. If I take my first year of University it would look more like 3.2 or 3.3. Anyways with taking my prerequisite courses I hope to boost this average up. Thanks for all of your input. I do strongly feel that it would be a good investment. It's just taking the leap now and not turning back!
Take care,

Dan

The plus for you is having a Masters degree but the down thing is that your overall GPA is not competitive enough. You MUST at all cost do well on the prerequisite courses and score well on the DAT. I assume you do not have many science classes (that go into calculating science GPA) so this is your chance to make it as high as possible. Overall GPA can be tough to raise since there are too many classes to overcome but science GPA you can have total control over. You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it. Good luck! DP

Hello all,

I have great time answering all of your inquries so please keep them coming!:) Please note that when you post a question in this thread, please know that your inquiry maybe posted publicly. I will approve such post to be displayed if I feel that others may have the same question or be in the similiar situation. If you prefer your post not to be displayed, please either PM me or make it known in your inquiry. Thanks all! DP

Hello Dr. Phan,

I remember reading that you had been a faculty member at some point in your career. I was wondering what it's like to be an academic dentist and what opportunities may be available to those who would like to pursue teaching and research after dental school.

Thanks!

Hello,

If you think you will never have a job that you can't wait to get back to it or be saddened when weekend rolls around, I think you will be wrong. I can say that as I have it because I have lived it. I taught at the University at Tennesee Memphis from 2001-2003 and it was the best time of my life! I love teaching, mentoring my students and it was so wonderful to share my knowledge with them. At the end of the first year, they framed a T-shirt for me and all the class members signed their names on it. I have it displayed in my office and I look at it every single day. Second year I got a framed certificate and it was so wonderful to know that my effort was appreciated by many. Teaching is very rewarding if your heart is in it. There are professors who just love teaching and others who would rather be somewhere else. The latter group unfortunatetly gives the bad image of dental school faculty in the eyes of some students ( "they couln't hack it in real world", " they are loosers...."). I love teaching and mentoring as you can see and I just can't wait until the day I have my loans paid off so I can go back to it again. Regarding opportunities in teaching, there are plenty. Look in the ADA journal and there are many jobs open for teaching. Dental school faculty shortage is a persistent problem that has yet to be resolved. As you may already know, teaching does not pay much although the salary now for entry level faculty is much better than a decade ago. The other thing is that there is politics involved. In some cases, promotion from one rank to another or getting tenured depends on "who you know" rather than "what you know". I think that if the schools start to pay better ( at least 100K for assistant professor ) and make the promotion/tenure process easier to obtain, I think the crisis of faculty shortage will be resolved. DP

Hello all,

I have had a fair share of being the interviewee and the interviewer so I would like to share with you what I think will do you well in the process. In my career, I had gone through the interviews for my undergraduate engineering schools, graduate engineering schools, dental schools, three residencies, fellowships, dental schools for faculty jobs, and medical centers for employment. I also interviewed prospective dental students, residents as well as medical staff so I have a little bit experience about what "will or will not cut it" for an applicant. I would like to share with you what has worked for me.

1. Show up on time. Please DO NOT be late nor be too early. Showing up 30 minutes before is appropriate and let the receptionist know that you are there. Then wait until you are called. If she starts to bring you back early (some will do without checking with the Dr first!), say that " I am early and I can wait until my scheduled time with Dr. Phan". You do not want to be brought in before you're scheduled and catch the interviewer "off guard" as this can be annnoying to the person.

2. Dress professionally. Please do not be too fancy or too "revealing" if you are a female. For men, please wear a tie. I had seen a person coming for interviews in shorts and that drives me completely nuts! Even if you are just " stopping by" for a look, please present yourself professionally. You will never know if you may end up wanting that spot later on.

3. Start with a FIRM hand shake. That shows that you are confident and not the timid type. If you are Asian, you start out with a "Tomahawk" chop to the forehead... :p

4. Start the conversation right away to avoid "dead spots". This indicates you are enjoying being in his office. Be sure to thank the person for the opportunity to meet each other at the beginning. Dead spots are silence killer that makes the process painful and awkward. I am sure we have witnessed this on some really awful dates.

5. Let the person finish his question before you answer. Some overconfident applicants willing to show "confidence" by cutting me off before I am done asking and that can be very impolite and annoying. Give a brief second, then answer the question.

6. Look in the eyes when talking. This shows you are interested in talking to the person and not around him/her.

7. Ask questions around the question. Remember that the process goes both ways. You are there to show them what you got but at the same time, you should ask him/her " what do you have to offer me?". For example, after you tell them your strengths, ask them " Will your facility allow me the opportunities to do what I like to achieve if I am offered ther position/spot in your incoming class?".

8. Be interactive. Ask questions. Remember that you are there also to find out about their program. Don't just sit there and act like " I am at your mercy for a spot". Show that you are what they are looking for and they should be happy to accept you.

9. Ask about their facility, classroom size, faculty to student ratio, passing NB rates... This shows that you are very interested in getting a good education and that will impress the AC.

10. Be honest in your answers. Don't pretend since they can see this through you. If you made a mistake in your life, then admit it when asked. Make sure you tell them what you have learned from your lesson and how you have come since then. If they have sympathy for you, they will help you.

11. Don't shake your legs. This shows either you are too bored or too nervous. Keep those legs tugged.

12. Say "Yes" when asked " do you have any questions for us?" Please don't say "No". Be prepared to ask at least 3-4 questions and put the interviewer in your seat. Remember my earlier comments, you want to know what they have to offer you as well as you coming across confident ( I am the one for you). This can be achieved only through YOU asking the questions and taking the initatives. I always remember the ones who asked questions and none the ones who sat passively.

13. Once done, thank the person again with a firm handshake ( or Tomahawk chop if you are asian).

14. DO NOT LINGER! Please don't hang around unless you are invited to talk to other staff members or faculty. If you do, make it short as you can or will outstay your welcome.

15. Send a short but non-generic thank you letter. Recap your interview experience and indicate how you should be the right candidate for the spot. Do NOT make it like your personal statement. A short sweet one paragraph letter will do.

16. Learn from your interview experience. Review the questions that you may have stumbled on and prepare the answers for the next interview.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you anyway I can. DP

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is such a combination possible? I know there's BME Ph.D+MD program, but does that include BME Ph.D+DMD/DDS as well?

Yes, There are PHd programs within dental schools... the closest maybe in material science (development/studies on new/old materials). There are other programs including MS, speciality where they work with new appliance so it may be like what you describe.

Hi
My name is Bob Arm and I will be joining the forum. Instead of starting a new thread,I thought it was best to maintain one so people can get atleast one answer, if not two.

I am full time director of a General Practice Hospital Dental Residency for over 25 years, a site visitor for CODA, have been on the faculty of several schools and have been activate in many groups including Amer Dental Education Assoc (ADEA), Special Care Dentistry and Oral Medicine to name some.

I am also active in access to care issues in this country and internationally. I have traveled with Health Volunteers Overseas and Operation Smile amoung others...

You can ask a question here any time... if for some reason I did not see it... my private email is always listed. I have mentoring since I started in education 35 years ago.

I thought one thread may be better also since I tend to be very busy when my new residents start (we have 10) or when I travel overseas (in April spent 2 weeks in Cambodia and two more trips this academic year to different countries).

Looking forward to exchanging ideas.

Hello -
One school in special looks for community service and volunteerism and boosts that about 1/3 or more of their graduates go into community/public health program - Arizonia... There appears to be an excitement amoung their students and faculty. An underserviced population is a population that covers both of your statements... an area of few dentists or a population with limited funds and no dental coverage. Many rural areas can fit that description. Even in my state, Delaware, our downstate area... has few dentists but no shortage of income... but since it does not have the night life of the big cities - few seek the area out.

Each school and each residency programs have a different approach to what they are looking for. While some still look at grades only... many are looking at the total individual.

I notice certain dental schools are emphasizing that they prefer candidates who have shown an interest in serving underserved populations. My question is what exactly is the definition of an "underserved population"? One where the economy is low? Where dentists are few? Or does the definition entirely depend on the school?

I want to thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully answer our questions. I am wondering what color suit/ties to buy for my interviews?

Just wear the normal dark suit, not too bright or too lavish of a tie. Look at the presidential candidates, you should wear just like them. How about Jim Carry in "The Mask"? No, not recommended. DP

Hello Dr. DP

I am interested on the dental profession and I had a few questions regarding acceptance.

I will be graduating in the fall semester from Florida International University with a BS in biology. I have also completed about 200 volunteer hours at a Dental practice. My GPA at FIU is a 3.3. However, my GPA in the AADSAS is only a 2.5. During the past 3 semesters I have taken 15 or more credits per semester to demonstrate my ability to handle many classes and have really good grades (A's & B's only). It is my lower division grades that hurt my GPA.
Could you please tell me if the admission committee will take into consideration that I am capable of handling a heavy load of classes and have good grades on it?
Also, would a post-bacc or masters help, or should I re-take the classes that I got a C? Additionally I found out that university of Creighton offers a post-bacc and if you graduated successfully you are guarantee a seat in the upcoming class of dentistry. Would you recommend that?

Thank you for your time. I really would appreciate your response.

As you already know, your GPA is below the average stat for entering class. You should look at the classes that you do poorly on and then calculate the overall GPA assuming you make all As. If you are able to make it to at least 3.3, then see how long this process will take. If it takes 2 years then I would do a Masters program. You could also retake some of these classes while you are in the Masters program too. Having a graduate degree will help if your stats are weak assuming you do well. More importantly, you should try to score above 20 in each section of the DAT. DP

Hello Dr. Phan,

I am starting my first year at dental school this fall and have heard from numerous dentists that starting with loupes as early as possible is the way to go. I know that it is going to be about a $1000 investment to get good ones. I have gotten an estimate from Designs for Visions, Inc. at a dental convention for loupes and was given the so called "special rate" because I am a student of $850 for 2.5 magnification. I heard from one dentist that this is a good company, does anyone know anything about these guys and or have any suggestions on who to purchase loupes from? I've also heard good things about orascoptic brand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I did have a set from DFV and it works well for me. I also have the Orascopic brand. As far as the other brands I assume that they all do what they are designed for since they are all magnifiers. These companies are eager to earn your bussiness so let's do some shopping around. You should call these companies and ask the reps if they can come over and show you what they have. Also find out the prices too. A little competition doesn't hurt anybody. Do not be lead into buying really expensive loupes with all bells and whistles that you don't need (for example: built in head light). If you have rx glasses, I recommend you to have the latest readings before you buy the loupes. Inquire about the cost of having rx lenses fitted as you may find out that it may be cheaper to have them put in at local optical places. DP

Hi Dr. Pahn,

I have another question about specializing. I was wondering when it comes to specializing in the very competitive fields such as orthodontics and endodontics does it matter which school D-school you graduated from when being considered by the admissions department? Or as long as you are at the top of your class and you have the marks the school you come from doesn't matter?

Hi,

When comes to gaining admission to competitive residency programs, regardless of the school you attend, you should have 1. Excellent GPA, 2. Excellent class ranking, 3. Excellent National Board scores, 4. Excellent letters of recommendation, 4. Extracurricular activities (research, internship), 5. Maturity, 6. Pleasant personality (a team player), 7. Luck (being at the right place at the right time).

I did not mention the name of the school so it is not on the "should have" list. However, there is a very small disclaimer here. If you have those above requirements and attend a school that has the specialty that you want to go, then you will have a better chance of getting admitted there than any other places because the school already have a chance to evaluate you in the past 3 years. However, you will have excellent chance of getting admitted somewhere else too regardless of the school you attend. DP

Last edited:
hi i want to ask u a few questions. first of all im 18 years old and im gonna start my 1st year of college. i want to know what is the earliest age i can become a regular dentist( meaning no specialty). also i want to know if u know the income or salary of a first year graduate of dentist school ( both in a private practice AND in a hospital/other non private job.) Also does it matter what college u got to? Will dental school care ,even if u have a nice GPA(3.5 or above) (Cuz i Got to College of Staten Island, its a good school but not one the best schools, thought i mention what college i would be going to)thanks for ur answer in advance

There are three main ways to get your dental degree. First is straight from HS. This route is the BA/DDS program where you get the bachelor degree and DDS/DMD after 6 years. This will put you at age 24 as a dentist. The second route is to only complete the minimal requirements when entering DS. This requires about 2 years to complete the required courses so again, you also look at 6 years total to get your DDS/DMD. This also puts you at age 24 as a newly minted dentist. The third common route requires 4 year BS and 4 year DS. This will put you at age 26 as a dentist. So the earliest age you can be a dentist (GP) is at age 24. All cases assuming you graduate from HS at 18.

Salary for newly graduate varies like chocolate in the box. Some make 400K while others barely make 60K mark (like me in my first year). For a general dentist with one year hospital residency, government's dentists make about 90K. You can see the salary range on government's job site for dental professionals.

It does not matter what college you attend as long as it is a four year university. Your application will be more impressive if you take your classes from university rather than from community college. So try not to take courses from CC if you can.

Don't rush in getting your degree as you may regret your choices later on. You should take your time and find a career that is right for you. When I was a dental student, I used to tutor/mentor the BA/DDS students and I can tell you that many of these kids have no idea why they choose dentistry! At the tender age of 18, I remembered I used to play transformers after school! So take your time, investigate your career choices, choose a field that is right for you for the rest of your life rather than what is right at the moment. Good luck! DP

after 100+ hours of shadowing the last three years, i hate to admit that its getting a little boring. i am hoping that once I begin doing dentistry myself it will be fun but i guess its hard to know until you actually get to do it. just wondering if it was the same for you that doing dentistry is much more fun than watching it. hopefully it doesn;t get boring again after 30+ years

thanks for the thread

This is when you need to evaluate if this field is for you. You should look at all aspects of dentistry from all angles. You should shadow with general dentists as well as with specialists to see if dentistry appeals to you. After doing so, if you still find dentistry is boring, you won't see it any better once you get into dental school. As for me, many procedures I do can be very routine but I don't find them boring. That is because I am dealing with live patients who appreciate the treatments that are given to them. Once you see the smiles on their faces, I am willing to redo that "routine" procedure once again! DP

hello. AS u may already know i am going to start my first year in college.. I want to know what classes or courses should i take in order to be a dentist (general dentist). Can u list the courses that are needed to take first ( for example u cant take general biology part 2 without taking general biology part 1 or u cant take Quantum Mechanics without taking general physics..i think u get my point..) Also right now for this semester im registered for 1) COLL ALG & TRIG 2) INTRO COLLEGE WRITNG 3)GENERAL CHMISTRY I and GEN CHEMISTRY I LAB 4)PSYCHOLOGY .......In total these add up to.. 18 hours and 14 credits in total... Anywayss i want to know if this is the right step in becoming a dentist...( i think im sure aboutt every classes except psychology.. just need to be sure) Is registering for psychology a good decision?.... What other classes do i have to take ( if i want to be accepted to a dental school in a maximum of 3 years) Thanks you very much for reading and giving your answer

Hello,

It is great that you are choosing dentistry! If you read my post earlier, there are two ways for college grads to get to DS. One is completing the minimum requirements, take the DAT and then apply. This route requires you to work really hard since there is no errors to make poor grades. In addition, your stats need to be stellar as the majority of applicants have the BS or advanced degrees. The second route is to obtain a 4 year BS then apply to DS. To answer your question about what courses are required as well as the sequences of those classes, you need to discuss this with your pre-health profession advisor because this depends on what route you plan to take (the fastest or the traditional route). You should call the dental school(s) that you may want to go and ask what courses are required. On ADA website (or pre-dental forum) you can find out this information too. You will see that the requirement is nearly identical from school to school. If you are doing a 4 year path, then you should mix the science courses with others so you can do well on them. On the other hand, if you want the fastest route, then you need to see what is offered then see if you can handle the load. You should discuss this with your advisor and see if it is feasable. That person can tell you if it is too hard or easy since he/she is familiar with the difficulty of those courses. When comes to advising classes related issues, your pre-dent advisor can play a huge role in helping you of your scheduling needs.

By all means, you need to get a good start by doing well in science classes. Talk to people who had taken them and ask how difficult to get an A or B. In some cases, avoid the instructors that only a few students got As. But if there are ones that most people walk away with As and Bs, then use them to your advantage. Remember that "haste makes waste". Some people rush in and end up taking so many courses that they end up with Cs or Ws. You do not want to put yourself in this situation. DP