Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cowme

Interest topic going on in the pre-allo forum about Med School vs Dentistry, and the fact that dentistry and derm are quite similar in terms of pay and lifestyle....just got me thinking:

How popular do you think dentistry would be as a field if you had to go through med school first and do a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, teeth!

Members don't see this ad :)
well if you had to do 4 years of med school + 4 years of a dental residency to make what a dentist makes now, I don't think it would be very popular. Probably more appealing than primary care, but not much else. If the salary somehow got bumped up to the level of derm/ROAD, it would be as competitive as any lifestyle specialty.

Thats how it is in some countries.... I think (but not too certain) russia's system is like that... dentistry is a medical specialty.

As far as compensation goes, dentists is more of a business-savy specialty, and if you don't got the business skills, you'll eventually develop them, its just the nature of the job.....it is very common for a dentist who has 10+ years of experience to reach 300+ k per year while working less than 40 a week.