"Department Chair" Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick question regarding a department chair letter. In ERAS, there's an option that states "the letter writer is a department chair at the site where I completed my clerkship training." I may have misunderstood what this was saying as one of my letter writers is the head of hospitalist medicine and another is the IM PD (both residency faculty members and hospital chairs), so I went ahead and clicked this box for both. However, I've come to find out that apparently this distinction should only be applied to the department of medicine chair from my school. Is it a big deal if these letter writers submit my letter under the current requests (where I indicated them as department chairs)? Or should I resend the requests without this box checked? I just don't want to annoy them if this isn't a big deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should resubmit the recommendation requests to these people. The chair letter is meant to be for the chair of the department of the speciality you're applying into from your school.

Reactions: 1 users