Deposit on two schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeCanSeeClearlyNow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into two optometry programs and I have a week to give notice. For me this is not enough time to make this life decision! Has anyone ever put a deposit down for two schools to get more time to decide? Also, does anyone know if you pay the first portion of the deposit, are you then required to pay the second portion if you let the schools know you take back the acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Well they can't charge you the other portion without your consent, as in they can't really save your card on file unless you allow it.

However, if I were you I would make the first deposits near the deadline and then think about which school I would attend. I wouldn't wait on deciding as your spot could also be preventing someone else from attending their first-pick school if they are waitlisted, and they might end up having to go to another school. Regardless as soon as you decide (lay out your pros and cons quickly), I would notify the other school and apologize and withdraw your seat, and you won't get your deposit back either.

I've put down deposits at multiple schools because I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get into medical school, and his location is a big factor in my decision. Every school has a different policy for its deposit. Some will give you a refund (complete or partial) if you withdraw by a certain date. Not every school has a second portion to their deposit, but if they do, you certainly aren't required to pay it if you withdraw your acceptance from the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always ask the schools for an extension of the deadline to give you more time to decide.