Depressing Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's pretty misleading. Most UAMS students want to stick around Arkansas to practice, but we only match ~45% of people into Arkansas residencies. What they should be more worried about is the increasing number of students who don't match at all. Adding 2700 spots in Florida certainly won't hurt either statistic, though. :D

I believe there was a bill introduced (maybe passed) that allows the relocation of residency spots that go unfilled. (ie. If program X in state Z doesn't fill 2 spots every year, those will be relocated).

I'm not sure if they are relocated to different programs in the hospital, town, or if they can be moved to different states.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it that hard to start residency programs? I'm sure it's not a piece of cake but if there is a huge shortage that will only get worse why can't they just add some new programs or increase the size of the programs that already exist to compensate? We got two new med schools but no new residency spots...

Is it that hard to start residency programs?

I think it's a question of cost more than logistics. The cost of residency programs--known as Graduate Medical Education, or GME--is highly subsidized by the Federal govt. (mostly the Medicare program), because the cost of training medical residents supposedly far exceeds their salaries and benefits, especially in teaching hospitals with large indigent populations. The total cost of the subsidies is over $6 billion per year (http://www.aamc.org/advocacy/library/gme/dgmebroc.pdf); payments range from $25,000-125,000 per resident per year, depending on the institution.

So, in order for a hospital or other institution to open up new residency slots, they will need additional federal funding. Clearly, that's hardly a cinch in today's world.

I think it's a question of cost more than logistics. .

It is a question of both. Your post well covers the costs issue but the logistics are equally daunting. I spoke with a PD who is trying to add a single spot to his program (just one spot...imagine the difficulty in adding a whole residency). He has to demonstrate adequate volume of inpatients, adequate case numbers per resident (surgery residency), etc etc. This all has to go thru the ACGME for approval.

The last thing we need is to create more pathology residency spots

Step 1: Open a bunch of new medical schools in Florida
Step 2: Wonder why residency spots in Florida are tougher to come by
Step 3: ??????????
Step 4: Definitely not profit

Is it that hard to start residency programs?

I am not an expert on this - but it is very difficult process. Some other posters have mentioned funding, but that is just one piece of the puzzle. You have to have faculty, facilities, and then there is the whole issue of getting a program accredited. Basically, it is a very involved process that will definitely lag behind the number of medical student positions being created in Florida and in other places. Not to mention the DO students, US citizens who trained somewhere else (i.e. island schools), and foreign grads trying to enter the same market. There are far more students applying for positions than the system can keep up with.

I believe there was a bill introduced (maybe passed) that allows the relocation of residency spots that go unfilled. (ie. If program X in state Z doesn't fill 2 spots every year, those will be relocated).

I'm not sure if they are relocated to different programs in the hospital, town, or if they can be moved to different states.

This is actually part of both the House and Senate reform bills. I don't know all the details, but there is a provision for redistributing residency spots that go unused. Another interesting (and scary) part of the Senate bill - it mandates what % of residency slots must be in primary care areas and general surgery (75%). I attached an AAMC comparison of the bills that gives a brief overview, if anyone is really that interested. Or you could always go look through the 2000 pages yourself...

Attachments

• sidebyside112009.pdf
    212.9 KB · Views: 147
thats a laugh

florida wants more doctors.. have you looked at the application to get licensed in florida.. it would take you just a month to fill it out not to mention its cost prohibitive.. cost about 2K just to get a license