PhD/PsyD Dept Head Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevergivingupever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my title is pretty much what it sounds like. I am sorry for the length of this post but I feel it is necessary to get as much input from you guys for help as I can. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and look forward to your responses.

Upon graduating undergrad, I had to make a decision as to whether I wanted to continue being a RPG (Report Program Generator, I had done this part time to pay for school rather well, not role playing game haha) programmer or pursue my interest in clinical psychology as a therapist and eventually make my way to PsyD and becoming a psychologist. There were a lot of considerations to be made, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to join a graduate program or stay a programmer. My solution was to take graduate level classes I could part time that a college allowed me to (it would have counted towards my degree upon acceptance), while still writing code part time and decide after that time. My undergraduate thesis adviser told me multiple times I would love the structure and content of graduate school much more than undergrad, and he was right on the money.

From the first week of the first semester in, I truly enjoyed graduate school. It took the best parts I loved during undergrad and magnified those into entire courses. My fellow students were bright, had interesting pursuits/plans and were motivated (ok, most of them). I quickly developed a friendly relationship with a brand new first year professor, a licensed neuropsychologist, since my minor in undergrad was neuroscience (I find it fascinating, the other half of the coin with psychology) and we would regularly hang out talking about neuro/psych stuff as well as just talking about things we both liked such as t.v. series and whatnot. None of my fellow first year students in the program had my neuro background, and the neuropsychologist was always grateful I participated a lot in discussions that included the physiological/biological side of mental illness. She told me she looked forward to papers/presentations I wrote as class assignment because I included relevant neuro-views where necessary instead of just skipping that portion like the rest of the students in my class. I also did this with a professor specialized in psychotherapy and gained tremendous respect for both of them. Life was awesome.

I scored among highest in the classes (all A's) I took and have no problem admitting only taking part time class workloads was an advantage to me, even though I had roughly 30 hour work weeks outside of class, but I nevertheless did an impressive job.

NOW, the important part: During my part time year I had a close friend die to cancer and also broke up with my fiancee, which obviously lead me to a bout with depression. I have no shame in admitting this. The university I was studying at part time had let me know prior this was a "trial period" for me, and if my performance was impressive I would have the advantage of consideration for the next round of graduate school admissions since I was already familiar to the university/program. This was told to me by my program's department head (verbally, sadly with no record).

Despite these horrible events in my life, I maintained a 4.0 at that university which I am still to this day, EXCEPTIONALLY proud of.

**No one can or will take that pride from me regardless of their status.**

My department head noticed I was in a depressed state and after a while called me into his office. After pleasantries and I explained the reasons behind my depression, he told me that the department was not interested in me, and I had failed to impress the program (I had talked to my professors, and I had impressed them and they were shocked to hear I did not impress the department head, the shock was plainly visible on their faces). Here is the most incredulous part: I was in counseling @ this university to deal with my depression and it was slowly helping. I told my department head I was seeking help and I still performed extremely well in every pursuit I took at that university. HE LAUGHED AT ME TO MY FACE and said "Sorry, we still aren't interested." The Dept. Head claimed I blew off meetings with (I never did, and I denied it) and my state of mind had one of the professors (let's call him JJ) I grew close with worried. He sat there with a smile on his face, refused to give me other reasons as to why I hadn't impressed him until I had had enough, I politely said farewell since burning bridges with snarky comments is a bad idea, and I still had faith I could get into this program that I had a great time learning in and enjoying the professors. I really felt like this program fit me right.

I informed my counselor during a therapy session as this had further depressed me. After all, I had dealt with so much and still thrived with A's, outscoring students that WERE IN the program already. My counselor attempted to set up a meeting with my department head to act as mediator as both myself and my counselor had a very optimistic view that I would get through this difficult part of my life. My counselor was impressed I maintained A's despite this troubling time. I was never in danger of harming myself or others, I just needed help getting through this very rough patch. The department head refused to meet with my counselor to discuss my progress in therapy and positive outlook. This stunned my counselor and she was at a loss. She tried multiple times but no dice.

I talked to JJ about this issue (great guy, great educator) and he was puzzled when I told him the Dept. Head said I blew off meetings with him, and said he knew I certainly did not. JJ also informed me that "No offense "mynamehere", but I don't worry about you. I have a very hectic life I concern myself with and if I had seen any behavioral problems with you or warning signs, I surely would have talked to you about it. I am not quite sure what the Dept. Head meant." While he didn't advise me to give up seeking admittance to a program here, he said the ignorant department head could instantly veto an application into the program even against the rest of the admissions committee's wishes. I checked with the department's policies and this was true.

A few days later, while hanging out with my neuropsych professor during her office hours (which with us both being new to this particular university we both appreciated these small hangouts, I had not filled her in on my tragic experiences or conversation with that Dept. Head). That day, she got a call from (I am 99.9% sure) was the Dept. Head. She answered with "Hello..... Why yes, I am actually hanging out with him right now...." there was a long pause while she glanced at me numerous times, then she said ok and goodbye. Out of the blue, the new topic of conversation was: Her turning to me and explaining with an accompanying sympathetic look that I should drop out of her class in progress, because another student would have been too much workload on her, and pursue my education elsewhere. I was stunned, confused and pretty hurt. By this point in I was already about 5-6 classes into the second semester with my neuropsych professor (I took one of her classes my first semester here and she said she had better see me in one of her classes next semester, which felt awesome to me at the time and I did indeed sign up with her for another class). So her excuse of all of a sudden having too high a workload only after getting that call seemed flimsy at best. With me in that class her total students would have been 9.

After the effort I had made to show that program that I had promise and the friendships with students and professors alike I had made despite adversity, I was being forced out. Let's not forget I had signed a lease to live in this town 4 hours away from my home. I had dropped by her office to say hi after that had happened but the conversation I got from her was extremely forced and falsely joyous, unlike the casual talks we so easily had prior. I don't blame her for just going along with the department head, she was as new as I was and probably did not want to step on any toes. I got the same sympathetic looks from the people that knew me in hallways as I passed. I even received a couple of concerned looks and general "How you doing?'s from people I never told what I was going through at the time. I only got this type of attention after my meeting with the department head where he actually laughed at my claims of going to therapy and getting better. I am still in disbelief over it. I am certain everyone knows my business now and the backlash is awful. Trust me, I didn't imagine this.

Every professor I had taken classes with at this university were more than happy to give me strong, positive letters of recommendation as well as words of encouragement to any another program I could apply to. This truly gave me mixed messages about what the real issue here was. Every professor I had taken classes with had said I had impressed them (hence the willingness to write me letters of rec), and I hadn't taken one of the Dept. Head's classes yet, but I somehow did not impress him.

I have, since then, unsuccessfully tried to make an appointment with the department head to try and talk through all of this. Should I just abandon this program? I feel like I have a lot to lose by doing so. Should I seek the attention of higher ranked members of this university and see what can be done? I don't have physical proof that I was in a trial period or any of the Dept. Heads claims against me, and he could just veto my app without me ever knowing. Should I bother to apply? I'd need to know soonish since the application deadline date is rapidly approaching. Is my graduate school experience going to be awful if the dept. head doesn't like me? I don't think the Dept. Head hates me for some reason, I refuse to think that. I think he thinks due to my mental state I wouldn't finish my degree and drop out of the program, but there are nagging concerns of things that he has done that makes me think he does kind of hold something against me. Plus, I am getting help and improving in therapy without any medication or concerns my therapist has for me.

I appreciate any and all opinions. I am aware my story comes off as "Boo hoo I didn't do anything to deserve this hate, this guy just picks on me" but I have told the truth as accurately as possible, because I want sincere info that can help me. Thank you.

Edit: Also I was not sure what part of the site to put this in. If there is an issue please let me know and i can recreate it elsewhere, mods.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My advice would be to apply elsewhere. Whatever the reason, deserved or not, it seems there is a clear indication you will not get in. It appears you still have positive connections in the program; use those for letters of rec and look elsewhere. I know you said you loved the fit, but I doubt the program is idiosyncratic enough that there are not similar options available...options that do not involve a department head that is against you.

That being said, parts of your story have me concerned.

"During my part time year I had a close friend die to cancer and also broke up with my fiancee, which obviously lead me to a bout with depression. I have no shame in admitting this."

I'm glad you aren't ashamed, however, why is it obvious that you developed depression? Is this a view that you openly shared with your dept. head; that is, because you endured two major interpersonal stressors, you obviously became depressed? Given your interest in biological mechanisms of mental illness, do you see why this view may be off-putting to a dept. head?

"My department head noticed I was in a depressed state and after a while called me into his office."

I'd be interested in more context on how this came about. How open were you about this? Multiple times you proclaim how proud you are of achieving good grades in spite of your depression. Obviously this is generally commendable but, not really the type of thing you'd want to hear a prospective student saying. Really just want someone to handle their business, personal and academics, and that's it.

I'm sorry if this comes off as insensitive. Obviously you've had two terrible things happen recently. You've displayed resilience that is commendable from a client perspective; yet, from an evaluating prospective students perspective, it is not so advantageous, I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, no offense taken at all. I can appreciate honesty that is constructive.

I'm glad you aren't ashamed, however, why is it obvious that you developed depression? Is this a view that you openly shared with your dept. head; that is, because you endured two major interpersonal stressors, you obviously became depressed? Given your interest in biological mechanisms of mental illness, do you see why this view may be off-putting to a dept. head?

I use the term "obviously" because I think if anyone had to go through those things at once, it would be a dark time in anyone's life. I think it'd be actually highly abnormal for these traumas to not significantly impact someone. I saw myself spending the rest of my life with this woman. I mean... she said "yes"... you know? My good friend that passed was one of my oldest friendships, and he passed due to gastrointestinal cancer at the age of 27. I can partially see your point as to this Dept. Head not wanting to take a chance with me, but there is no guarantee that anyone already in the program could still manage to do as well as I did if these two things happened to them. It isn't like these two things can happen every month and that MAY derail me and cause me to fail. I don't want to be judged on what MAY happen to me in the future, judge me on the present and how I handled/am handling these things and still succeeded.

I'd be interested in more context on how this came about. How open were you about this? Multiple times you proclaim how proud you are of achieving good grades in spite of your depression. Obviously this is generally commendable but, not really the type of thing you'd want to hear a prospective student saying. Really just want someone to handle their business, personal and academics, and that's it.

I was not sharing this information for the exact reason you list above. I was getting help and handling it myself responsibly, and I was always aware that this was my trial period. In the later part of my original post I mention how I got concerned looks and people asked about my welfare and that it bothered me to have people wondering about me at this crucial time. I too was just handling my personal and academic business while struggling with this, and handle it I did. Again, I see your point, but anyone evaluating prospective students expecting them to be bulletproof against these such things is out of touch with reality, and the field of psychology in general.

I appreciate the fact that you focused on giving me a direction to go, instead of accusing me of lying or wrongdoing which was one of my concerns when I contemplated turning here for direction. Again, I know how this story sounds. I was already leaning the way of applying elsewhere, I kind of realized it as I was typing this post, but I do like it here a lot. With my limited exposure to grad schools perhaps I underestimated how much I could like another program. Thanks man :)

Hey guys, my title is pretty much what it sounds like. I am sorry for the length of this post but I feel it is necessary to get as much input from you guys for help as I can. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and look forward to your responses.

Upon graduating undergrad, I had to make a decision as to whether I wanted to continue being a RPG (Report Program Generator, I had done this part time to pay for school rather well, not role playing game haha) programmer or pursue my interest in clinical psychology as a therapist and eventually make my way to PsyD and becoming a psychologist. There were a lot of considerations to be made, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to join a graduate program or stay a programmer. My solution was to take graduate level classes I could part time that a college allowed me to (it would have counted towards my degree upon acceptance), while still writing code part time and decide after that time. My undergraduate thesis adviser told me multiple times I would love the structure and content of graduate school much more than undergrad, and he was right on the money.

From the first week of the first semester in, I truly enjoyed graduate school. It took the best parts I loved during undergrad and magnified those into entire courses. My fellow students were bright, had interesting pursuits/plans and were motivated (ok, most of them). I quickly developed a friendly relationship with a brand new first year professor, a licensed neuropsychologist, since my minor in undergrad was neuroscience (I find it fascinating, the other half of the coin with psychology) and we would regularly hang out talking about neuro/psych stuff as well as just talking about things we both liked such as t.v. series and whatnot. None of my fellow first year students in the program had my neuro background, and the neuropsychologist was always grateful I participated a lot in discussions that included the physiological/biological side of mental illness. She told me she looked forward to papers/presentations I wrote as class assignment because I included relevant neuro-views where necessary instead of just skipping that portion like the rest of the students in my class. I also did this with a professor specialized in psychotherapy and gained tremendous respect for both of them. Life was awesome.

I scored among highest in the classes (all A's) I took and have no problem admitting only taking part time class workloads was an advantage to me, even though I had roughly 30 hour work weeks outside of class, but I nevertheless did an impressive job.

NOW, the important part: During my part time year I had a close friend die to cancer and also broke up with my fiancee, which obviously lead me to a bout with depression. I have no shame in admitting this. The university I was studying at part time had let me know prior this was a "trial period" for me, and if my performance was impressive I would have the advantage of consideration for the next round of graduate school admissions since I was already familiar to the university/program. This was told to me by my program's department head (verbally, sadly with no record).

Despite these horrible events in my life, I maintained a 4.0 at that university which I am still to this day, EXCEPTIONALLY proud of.

**No one can or will take that pride from me regardless of their status.**

My department head noticed I was in a depressed state and after a while called me into his office. After pleasantries and I explained the reasons behind my depression, he told me that the department was not interested in me, and I had failed to impress the program (I had talked to my professors, and I had impressed them and they were shocked to hear I did not impress the department head, the shock was plainly visible on their faces). Here is the most incredulous part: I was in counseling @ this university to deal with my depression and it was slowly helping. I told my department head I was seeking help and I still performed extremely well in every pursuit I took at that university. HE LAUGHED AT ME TO MY FACE and said "Sorry, we still aren't interested." The Dept. Head claimed I blew off meetings with (I never did, and I denied it) and my state of mind had one of the professors (let's call him JJ) I grew close with worried. He sat there with a smile on his face, refused to give me other reasons as to why I hadn't impressed him until I had had enough, I politely said farewell since burning bridges with snarky comments is a bad idea, and I still had faith I could get into this program that I had a great time learning in and enjoying the professors. I really felt like this program fit me right.

I informed my counselor during a therapy session as this had further depressed me. After all, I had dealt with so much and still thrived with A's, outscoring students that WERE IN the program already. My counselor attempted to set up a meeting with my department head to act as mediator as both myself and my counselor had a very optimistic view that I would get through this difficult part of my life. My counselor was impressed I maintained A's despite this troubling time. I was never in danger of harming myself or others, I just needed help getting through this very rough patch. The department head refused to meet with my counselor to discuss my progress in therapy and positive outlook. This stunned my counselor and she was at a loss. She tried multiple times but no dice.

I talked to JJ about this issue (great guy, great educator) and he was puzzled when I told him the Dept. Head said I blew off meetings with him, and said he knew I certainly did not. JJ also informed me that "No offense "mynamehere", but I don't worry about you. I have a very hectic life I concern myself with and if I had seen any behavioral problems with you or warning signs, I surely would have talked to you about it. I am not quite sure what the Dept. Head meant." While he didn't advise me to give up seeking admittance to a program here, he said the ignorant department head could instantly veto an application into the program even against the rest of the admissions committee's wishes. I checked with the department's policies and this was true.

A few days later, while hanging out with my neuropsych professor during her office hours (which with us both being new to this particular university we both appreciated these small hangouts, I had not filled her in on my tragic experiences or conversation with that Dept. Head). That day, she got a call from (I am 99.9% sure) was the Dept. Head. She answered with "Hello..... Why yes, I am actually hanging out with him right now...." there was a long pause while she glanced at me numerous times, then she said ok and goodbye. Out of the blue, the new topic of conversation was: Her turning to me and explaining with an accompanying sympathetic look that I should drop out of her class in progress, because another student would have been too much workload on her, and pursue my education elsewhere. I was stunned, confused and pretty hurt. By this point in I was already about 5-6 classes into the second semester with my neuropsych professor (I took one of her classes my first semester here and she said she had better see me in one of her classes next semester, which felt awesome to me at the time and I did indeed sign up with her for another class). So her excuse of all of a sudden having too high a workload only after getting that call seemed flimsy at best. With me in that class her total students would have been 9.

After the effort I had made to show that program that I had promise and the friendships with students and professors alike I had made despite adversity, I was being forced out. Let's not forget I had signed a lease to live in this town 4 hours away from my home. I had dropped by her office to say hi after that had happened but the conversation I got from her was extremely forced and falsely joyous, unlike the casual talks we so easily had prior. I don't blame her for just going along with the department head, she was as new as I was and probably did not want to step on any toes. I got the same sympathetic looks from the people that knew me in hallways as I passed. I even received a couple of concerned looks and general "How you doing?'s from people I never told what I was going through at the time. I only got this type of attention after my meeting with the department head where he actually laughed at my claims of going to therapy and getting better. I am still in disbelief over it. I am certain everyone knows my business now and the backlash is awful. Trust me, I didn't imagine this.

Every professor I had taken classes with at this university were more than happy to give me strong, positive letters of recommendation as well as words of encouragement to any another program I could apply to. This truly gave me mixed messages about what the real issue here was. Every professor I had taken classes with had said I had impressed them (hence the willingness to write me letters of rec), and I hadn't taken one of the Dept. Head's classes yet, but I somehow did not impress him.

I have, since then, unsuccessfully tried to make an appointment with the department head to try and talk through all of this. Should I just abandon this program? I feel like I have a lot to lose by doing so. Should I seek the attention of higher ranked members of this university and see what can be done? I don't have physical proof that I was in a trial period or any of the Dept. Heads claims against me, and he could just veto my app without me ever knowing. Should I bother to apply? I'd need to know soonish since the application deadline date is rapidly approaching. Is my graduate school experience going to be awful if the dept. head doesn't like me? I don't think the Dept. Head hates me for some reason, I refuse to think that. I think he thinks due to my mental state I wouldn't finish my degree and drop out of the program, but there are nagging concerns of things that he has done that makes me think he does kind of hold something against me. Plus, I am getting help and improving in therapy without any medication or concerns my therapist has for me.

I appreciate any and all opinions. I am aware my story comes off as "Boo hoo I didn't do anything to deserve this hate, this guy just picks on me" but I have told the truth as accurately as possible, because I want sincere info that can help me. Thank you.

Edit: Also I was not sure what part of the site to put this in. If there is an issue please let me know and i can recreate it elsewhere, mods.

There is little else in life more frustrating than a one-way love. While it may not be fair, programs really owe you nothing.

Move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Get LORs and move on. Bad professors/dept heads would give you an uphill battle for the rest of your career there, even if they did decide to take you.

Reactions: 2 users
My advice, FWIW: Get good LORs from the faculty who like you and move on.

Also, did you do anything other than take classes, like get involved in research?

Thank you for the opinion, I am surely thinking this is the right way to go now. I guess I was concerned about missing a great opportunity to start with a new professor who has one of the most interesting degrees (in my opinion, of course) on the ground level.

Sadly, research opportunities were not available to me since I was a "non-traditional graduate student", which here means I don't even have a declared major since I have to be actively working on a degree (undergrad or masters or etc etc) to work with research. That title disqualified me from research. I was working while taking classes part time so no other types of activities for me during that time frame, I just worked and went to class.

There is little else in life more frustrating than a one-way love. While it may not be fair, programs really owe you nothing.

Move on.

Get LORs and move on. Bad professors/dept heads would give you an uphill battle for the rest of your career there, even if they did decide to take you.

Will do, thanks guys. The unanimous opinions of everyone really helped me decide and just knowing what direction to take now is a better feeling than the hemming and hawing I've been doing. Great community here.

Deaths and break ups are part of life. They are not "traumas."

You really think that having a loved one die tragically could never be traumatic? Seriously?

Don't be silly, of course.

The persons loved one died of cancer. Very sad. But we call that grief.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd agree with the others--in this situation, it's unfortunate, but moving on is likely to be your best bet. As folks have said, even if you were admitted, it seems at least plausible that (fair or not) your relationship with this Dept. Head would be strained. Given the numerous stressors inherent in any grad school experience, you don't want to add to that from day one.

This type of thing is not as uncommon in academia as it should be, and it's certainly not restricted to psychology; some of the horror stories experienced by friends in other disciplines have convinced me of this. I'm sure there are plenty of other folks whose research and clinical interests are just as in line with your own as those of the professors at your current program.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the opinion, I am surely thinking this is the right way to go now. I guess I was concerned about missing a great opportunity to start with a new professor who has one of the most interesting degrees (in my opinion, of course) on the ground level.

Sadly, research opportunities were not available to me since I was a "non-traditional graduate student", which here means I don't even have a declared major since I have to be actively working on a degree (undergrad or masters or etc etc) to work with research. That title disqualified me from research. I was working while taking classes part time so no other types of activities for me during that time frame, I just worked and went to class.

Honestly, your lack of research experience, more than anything else at this point, will make you not competitive for PhD programs and probably even the more competitive (read: funded!) masters programs. Classwork is a very small part of grad school in the scheme of things.

Honestly, your lack of research experience, more than anything else at this point, will make you not competitive for PhD programs and probably even the more competitive (read: funded!) masters programs. Classwork is a very small part of grad school in the scheme of things.

Agreed with this as well. Your best bet may be to see if you can find part-time or full-time work (paid or volunteer) as a research assistant, either at the current program or at a site nearby. Get in a year of that, keep working at it while you apply to grad school, and see where that takes you.

Don't be silly, of course.

The persons loved one died of cancer. Very sad. But we call that grief.

Yeah... there was this one guy, forgetting his name...Sigmund or something...:)

Very aptly differentiated between the two. Mourning and melancholia, that is.

I don't know... there's plenty of research indicating that having a child die or have a serious illness (pediatric cancer, NICU babies, etc) can produce clinically significant PTSD symptoms in parents, for example.

Of course, no offense taken at all. I can appreciate honesty that is constructive.

I use the term "obviously" because I think if anyone had to go through those things at once, it would be a dark time in anyone's life. I think it'd be actually highly abnormal for these traumas to not significantly impact someone. I saw myself spending the rest of my life with this woman. I mean... she said "yes"... you know? My good friend that passed was one of my oldest friendships, and he passed due to gastrointestinal cancer at the age of 27. I can partially see your point as to this Dept. Head not wanting to take a chance with me, but there is no guarantee that anyone already in the program could still manage to do as well as I did if these two things happened to them. It isn't like these two things can happen every month and that MAY derail me and cause me to fail. I don't want to be judged on what MAY happen to me in the future, judge me on the present and how I handled/am handling these things and still succeeded.

I was not sharing this information for the exact reason you list above. I was getting help and handling it myself responsibly, and I was always aware that this was my trial period. In the later part of my original post I mention how I got concerned looks and people asked about my welfare and that it bothered me to have people wondering about me at this crucial time. I too was just handling my personal and academic business while struggling with this, and handle it I did. Again, I see your point, but anyone evaluating prospective students expecting them to be bulletproof against these such things is out of touch with reality, and the field of psychology in general.

I appreciate the fact that you focused on giving me a direction to go, instead of accusing me of lying or wrongdoing which was one of my concerns when I contemplated turning here for direction. Again, I know how this story sounds. I was already leaning the way of applying elsewhere, I kind of realized it as I was typing this post, but I do like it here a lot. With my limited exposure to grad schools perhaps I underestimated how much I could like another program. Thanks man :)

That all sounds reasonable. It's a shame because networking is a big part of academia, and it sounds like you had a real opportunity at that program.

I think you are wise to take the advice here. And if you are interested in PsyD programs, than the lack of research exp. isn't as big a deal. Although it certainly would not hurt.

I do have research experience, via my undergraduate thesis (2.5 years), using rats as models to investigate stages of Alzheimer's disease by mimicking the beginning stages of the disease with daily IP scopalamine injections (I have the proper certifications) 15 minutes prior to every run. I also have coded the research software (easy compared to programming for a living) and constructed the research hardware (skinner boxes) for a 3 choice serial reaction time task before/after injection results. Accompanying that we had to teach the rats the pattern first, so I learned how to shape the rat's behavior as well. I/we presented this research at an APA event in Chicago.

I honestly ask, is my experience lacking enough to hinder me with applications? People in the program I wanted in on had far less impressive research experience, the typical "Does the media influence the way we view our bodies?" etc.

That all sounds reasonable. It's a shame because networking is a big part of academia, and it sounds like you had a real opportunity at that program.

I think you are wise to take the advice here. And if you are interested in PsyD programs, than the lack of research exp. isn't as big a deal. Although it certainly would not hurt.

Eh, any of the PsyD programs that would take an applicant with no research experience are programs that I would very strongly advise against attending.

I do have research experience, via my undergraduate thesis (2.5 years), using rats as models to investigate stages of Alzheimer's disease by mimicking the beginning stages of the disease with daily IP scopalamine injections (I have the proper certifications) 15 minutes prior to every run. I also have coded the research software (easy compared to programming for a living) and constructed the research hardware (skinner boxes) for a 3 choice serial reaction time task before/after injection results. Accompanying that we had to teach the rats the pattern first, so I learned how to shape the rat's behavior as well. I/we presented this research at an APA event in Chicago.

I honestly ask, is my experience lacking enough to hinder me with applications? People in the program I wanted in on had far less impressive research experience, the typical "Does the media influence the way we view our bodies?" etc.

This is good research experience to be sure, but assuming that you are applying to do applied research/research with human subjects, programs are likely going to want to see at least some experience in that area.

Also, what's wrong with research looking at media influences?

It is a shame, but I'm going to take the positive message of "If I still accomplished my goals despite going through the roughest time in my life, I'll prepare and nail it next time". I learned a lot.

This is good research experience to be sure, but assuming that you are applying to do applied research/research with human subjects, programs are likely going to want to see at least some experience in that area.

Also, what's wrong with research looking at media influences?

It's understandable that having research with humans is a plus, but so is attempting to tackle such a serious clinical condition and trying to understand the mechanisms of such a disease.

There is nothing wrong with it, it is just a relatively heavily researched area of psychology. Where I did undergrad, there was always at least one student working on research like it, and while coming up with my undergraduate thesis with my advisor he wanted us to stay away from the well trodden path of research to make my graduate school applications unique to stand out among all the others.

Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it. I'll take what I've learned from this experience and all of the wisdom from these forums and apply it. If a mod wants to close down this thread that's fine by me, I got what I needed.

It's understandable that having research with humans is a plus, but so is attempting to tackle such a serious clinical condition and trying to understand the mechanisms of such a disease.

There is nothing wrong with it, it is just a relatively heavily researched area of psychology. Where I did undergrad, there was always at least one student working on research like it, and while coming up with my undergraduate thesis with my advisor he wanted us to stay away from the well trodden path of research to make my graduate school applications unique to stand out among all the others.

Well, yes, but lots of clinical psychology research does just that, basic/bench research or not.

Also, a) replication is important, and b) hopefully, people aren't just doing what has already been done but are adding to and expending on existing research.

News of a loved one's or close friend's death, if unexpected, can be a criterion A trauma in the DSM-5.
I'm pretty sure that the death had to have been violent to count for Criterion A under DSM-5.

Such behavior is unacceptable by a Department Head, if it's actually true. In this day and age where lawsuits are common, such behaviors by a department head would not be tolerated for long and he or she would be quickly relieved of their duties and be replaced.

Are you sure you haven't misinterpreted intent or you may be hypersensitive due to your own emotional turmoil?

There is a mediation process for all types of conflicts in graduate schools with mediation and a whole appeals process. These rules apply to all students enrolled in courses not only the students accepted into the program.

For the Department Head to meet with you and make those statements is completely overstepping their leadership role and abusing their power.

Clearly, under current academic regulations especially for students meeting the academic requirements, the student has many types of mediation, appeals, and a system to protect their rights.

Students selected into a program is not made by the department head but by a faculty team. For a department head to take a student aside and tell them verbally they will not be selected is abuse of power and basically incompetence and employment suicide. If the faculty team selects a student, any reputable department head would not overturn a faculty decision.

Last edited:
Are you sure you haven't misinterpreted intent or you may be hypersensitive due to your own emotional turmoil?
For a department head to take a student aside and tell them verbally they will not be selected is abuse of power and basically incompetence and employment suicide.

I had similar thoughts. OP, aspects of your narrative make it pretty hard to believe it is accurate and objective (villainous dept. head can sway faculty with a single phone call that happens while you are in the room, the alleged behavior during your meeting which is cartoonishly villainous, the idea that other faculty are adoring of you but forced into submission by this villain). If accurate, this would be the most dysfunctional/toxic/hostile dept I've ever heard of. But some bosses are nuts--if this really is accurate this is an astoundingly toxic/hostile work environment and you shouldn't want to be there.

I'm pretty sure that the death had to have been violent to count for Criterion A under DSM-5.

You would be correct, this was one of the major, and somewhat controversial, changes to the criterion from IV to V. There are some good commentary articles on it that are worth reading for those who deal with PTSD and trauma disorders.

This type of thing is not as uncommon in academia as it should be, and it's certainly not restricted to psychology; some of the horror stories experienced by friends in other disciplines have convinced me of this. I'm sure there are plenty of other folks whose research and clinical interests are just as in line with your own as those of the professors at your current program.
I agree with this. Move on. Sounds like you got thrown under the bus for reasons unknown. IMO that's par for the course. That's politics/academia and you cant necessarily separate them from each other. But you can learn from this, get feedback, get good LOR from others, and get into a decent masters program. Good luck.

I am echoing everyone's suggestion. Walking away may be the best scenario from a networking (let's not burn bridges), self-care, and plain ol' sanity maintenance while in grad school perspective.

Good luck!

To add to my prior post--particularly with the neuropsych interest and the topic you previously studied, I think your level of research experience would allow you to realistically apply for the coming (fall) admissions cycle. While work with humans would be great to gain, I've known quite a few folks who've gotten in with neuropsych advisors with only animal research on their applications.

Although having plans B and C set, which could include applying to masters programs and RA positions (in addition to 10-15+ doctoral programs), is always recommended.

I would suggest something like IUP - when I interviewed there they were really favoring people with a neuropsyc interest, and the funding is one of the best in the country for PsyDs. And most of the current students have never published so you don't have to have a huge cv

Traumatic for laypeople means something bad happened. Traumatic for PTSD means something really bad and scary happened. Takeaway is to not tell people (edit: non-students of psychology that is) who had something bad happen that it wasn't traumatic as that would be invalidating. ;)

Nonetheless, I don't like the, "Obviously, I developed depression." line either. Depressed mood is an understandable response to many events, but when someone says "developed depression" that leads me to think Major Depressive Disorder which is not a normative grief response.

Last edited: