Derm Board Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if either of these books are actually helpful for Derm Boards?

41mv6YHfLUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51N6XjJWA%2BL._SY300_.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if either of these books are actually helpful for Derm Boards?

41mv6YHfLUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
51N6XjJWA%2BL._SY300_.jpg

I've heard good things about Jain although didn't use it myself (all my co-residents did and loved it). I used Ali for the in-training exams and found too many errors. The cover seems to be new so perhaps an update fixed some of the issues

I've heard good things about Jain although didn't use it myself (all my co-residents did and loved it). I used Ali for the in-training exams and found too many errors. The cover seems to be new so perhaps an update fixed some of the issues

Thanks! Yes, I had heard the Ali book had numerous errors in it, although it looks like it's tailored to the boards, which was I was hesitant to get it.

I didn't know if there were any Derm Board standalone Qbanks, not offered through taking a formal review course, or if there were previously released questions by the ABD that I'm just unaware of. So far for board review, I've been using mainly the Galderma binder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Yes, I had heard the Ali book had numerous errors in it, although it looks like it's tailored to the boards, which was I was hesitant to get it.

I didn't know if there were any Derm Board standalone Qbanks, not offered through taking a formal review course, or if there were previously released questions by the ABD that I'm just unaware of. So far for board review, I've been using mainly the Galderma binder.

Not aware of any question banks although I believe the Galderma binder comes with a CD or online set of questions (again, didn't use them but the general feeling among my co-residents was that they weren't helpful anyway). I'm sure there are formal review courses that come with their own set of questions but they usually cost an arm and a leg. Prior residents have told me the ABD used to release the ITE questions for board review purposes but stopped years ago. With all the hubbub recently about airplane notes and the focus on more image-based questions, I'm not sure how useful they would be anyway. It may end up being a higher yield exercise to go through picture atlases to get accustomed to the image-heavy format

Not aware of any question banks although I believe the Galderma binder comes with a CD or online set of questions (again, didn't use them but the general feeling among my co-residents was that they weren't helpful anyway). I'm sure there are formal review courses that come with their own set of questions but they usually cost an arm and a leg. Prior residents have told me the ABD used to release the ITE questions for board review purposes but stopped years ago. With all the hubbub recently about airplane notes and the focus on more image-based questions, I'm not sure how useful they would be anyway. It may end up being a higher yield exercise to go through picture atlases to get accustomed to the image-heavy format

Thank you so much @smallchild! I was hoping that Galderma would have questions that would be similar to either the ITE or Board questions. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some question resource out there, in which the questions are more like the real thing. Would have been nice if all derm programs had access to those previously released ITE questions, not just the few whose predecessors were good enough to keep them. That CNN airplane notes story was thoroughly blown out of proportion - all sensationalism. Will definitely be plowing through more atlas pictures, Kodachromes, etc.

Thank you so much @smallchild! I was hoping that Galderma would have questions that would be similar to either the ITE or Board questions. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some question resource out there, in which the questions are more like the real thing. Would have been nice if all derm programs had access to those previously released ITE questions, not just the few whose predecessors were good enough to keep them. That CNN airplane notes story was thoroughly blown out of proportion - all sensationalism. Will definitely be plowing through more atlas pictures, Kodachromes, etc.
Board Vitals is pretty good.. Kinda like usmle world of board exams ..a bit on the pricey side but good stuff