Derm deferement in the Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one knows or heared derm deferment in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard that dermatology is one of the few specialties that are "overmanned" at the moment so I doubt you would get a deferment anytime in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh! I don't need to try it then. Thank you for the information.

Never hurts to try, worst they can do is say no.

The one I know of, likely the same mentioned above, was a USUHS grad, AOA, overall stellar applicant, and had some serious connections in the Derm world.

If you're a similar story go for it, heck even if you aren't put it on the list. Like I said, worst that can happen is they say no.

*Always* put in as you never know what may happen that year or if someone has a last minute issue that changes the needs of the Navy. I have seen folks get stuff they never would have dreamed of because of simple right time/right place.

Agree with worst they can say is "no".

That being said I would not recommend a list of:

1. Deferment
2. Deferment
3. Deferment
4. Deferment
5. Bethesda

Hi, i'm a rising 2nd year med student, navy HPSP. two years prior navy SWO.
1st year grades are mostly HP, did international work last summer.

VERY interested in derm residency.

what advice would you have about what i should do 2nd/3rd/4th year and how to get a NAVY DERM RESIDENCY??
what kind of board score does the navy look for?
does research have to be DERM-research?

also any information on life as a navy derm would be much appreciated.

what advice would you have about what i should do 2nd/3rd/4th year and how to get a NAVY DERM RESIDENCY??

Do well, do rotations at San Diego and Bethesda Derm. Do some research, derm specific would be nice, but not a definite. Do well on USMLE/COMLEX, find a GMO tour you like and then apply.

Hi, i'm a rising 2nd year med student, navy HPSP. two years prior navy SWO.
1st year grades are mostly HP, did international work last summer.

VERY interested in derm residency.

what kind of board score does the navy look for?
does research have to be DERM-research?

also any information on life as a navy derm would be much appreciated.

Yeah, you will most likely have to do a GMO/FS/DMO tour and then apply for derm.